2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:
291,000 and still going strong
By twee2 on 08/01/12 13:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2005 CTS brand new in Oakland at the Cadillac dealer on Broadway. (Name changed years ago). I have 291,456 miles on my car and it is still running great for me. Most of the reviews talk about all the oil it drinks, this has not been the case for me. I get my oil changed between 5,ooo-7,000 miles faithfully. I did need to replace the transmission at 110,000 miles ($3500) but other than that it has been just the usual brakes, tires, and oil changes. I have had some minor things go wrong when it got in the 200,000 miles but other than that, this has been the BEST CAR EVER! People can't believe how many miles I have on my car. I keep waiting for something to happen but it hasen't.

Oil Burner!!!
By mabyn66 on 02/16/12 17:47 PM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 2005 CTS, but traded it in on a reliable car, a Honda. I loved my CTS. It was a beautiful car, but at about 60,000 miles it started burning oil. It had no drips or blue smoke. They car was sounding weird and I had my husband check it. It needed 5 quarts of oil. There was no warning, or light. The catalytic converter went out in it twice in a year and a half and then I started having a misfiring problem. Whenever I was going up a hill, or had to accelerate fast, my whole car would jerk and then my engine light would start flashing. Beautiful looking car, but looks only get you so far. It was a major lemon and I'd never buy one again!!!!

Disappointed
By natural_99_99 on 06/01/11 21:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have been a proud owner of my CTS until recently. I have made sure the oil was changed every 3,000 to 6,000 miles as needed. Just with in the last month my CTS started cutting back when my wife was driving it. I checked oil in car & it was fine. dealership did a diagnostic test on the car and contacted me that same day and advise that the CTS had no issues & everything checked out fine. Within two weeks she was experience same problem I checked oil level & it was no oil at all. Went to pick up some oil put in car. Then I test drove the CTS next day & had no problem until I picked up some speed then it cutback some and engine light came on. When I went out to leave on tuesday it would not start out all & had to have it towed to dealership. Thats when I was told that i need a new engine. The repairs would cost $6200. I have recommended Cadillac CTS to numerous people never again. I am disappointed I had a chrysler sebring before this car that I traded in with 230000 miles on it. Cadillac is suppose to be a step above that. Its wrong how this economy is set up to bail out GM but I can't even get a $6200 repair covered by the company that should have failed.

Where did all the oil go?
By joez34 on 05/16/11 07:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I love or should I say "loved" this car for the many years I have owned it. The car performed perfectly until 55,000 miles when it began drinking up a qt of oil every 1,000 miles. No leaks, and No Smoke, just a quart of oil gone. The worst part about it was I didn't figure this out until the car was down 4 qts and started to make lots of noise. No LOW oil level or pressure indicator. Sorry GM, I traded in the CTS for a NEW Lexus ES350. Maybe I'll be back in a few years, but for now I'm gone.

Hate too! but we have to part ways!
By hitman_cardino on 04/30/11 10:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I bought a new 2005 CTS sport pkg. with all the bells and whistles! At 20k the water pump went out! and needed brakes! Next, everything goes good til the warranty ended at 4 years. Then a clunking sound, couldn't be a month after we got our last free oil change, drive it to a shop, no oil! 1 HID xenon flickered and upgraded both for 200+ now the ballast died 2 weeks later. That will be 150.00 to replace. I need rear differential bushings and front one of two is cracked. 750.00 Hydraulic motor mounds need replacing (1 said no, 1 said yes, getting a 3rd opinion soon). Tht will cost 600.00 I only have 68,000 miles! How about a Honda accord? I'm testing one today!

2005 Oil consumption issues
By gades on 01/19/11 10:13 AM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have 2005 CTS with 68000 miles that has been drinking oil like a drunk sailor for the past 1 1/2 years at the rate of 2 qts every 1000 miles! The dealership tried to charge me in excess of $5500 to fix the problem which included new piston rings and an assortment of other "fixes". Since my warrenty of 6yr/100000 was no longer valid the dealership will now "only" charge me about $1400. I stated my disappointment to them about how can a "high" quality GM car have such problems at such a low milage to which their reply was: "not all the vehicles that cadillac produces will be flawless...every now and then you might get a flawed one"... Never again will I be a cadillac buyer.

This Vehicle Might Become Your Casket
By nothappy2010 on 12/14/10 09:38 AM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My Navy son was involved in a serious 5 car collision involving my 2005 CTS. The AT-FAULT driver hit my son from the rear, causing him to hit 3 more cars. ALL safety features failed, causing injuries to my son. NONE of the airbags inflated and the seat belt failed to restrain my son. General Motors will not return emails and/or calls-after spending countless hours with my car. They are skirting the accident, which is why I filed a formal complaint with the Consumer Safety Division. Now GM will be required to supply my family with answers. Had my son been hit a mere 10mph faster - he may have suffered severe injury, maybe even death! Thank God he is okay.

Would buy again
By Steve on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car almost 3 years ago in Dec. 2007, and I love it. It was a certified car with the 6 yr 100,000 mile warranty, and I was glad I got it - In the first year, the passenger air bag sensor went out & the sunroof switch failed. In the second year, the car was run low on oil and there was no dash light to indicate this. I was given a new engine for free under warranty at 65,000 miles. I haven't had any problems in the past 18 months. Despite these issues, I really love the car. All of the repairs were free under warranty, so that didn't bother me much. The car handles great, has lots of power, is very comfortable, and with my fully optioned car, is really luxurious.

A lot of problems at higher miles
By Bamaguy on 09/08/10 07:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the CTS over a year ago and everything was tight and good. Since then i have replaced rear transmission seal, front drive shaft seal, front drivers wheel bearing. It uses a quart of oil every 2,000 miles and the radiator has a leak. On the interior, the dash has cracks from the sun and the leather seats are not wearing well. At 70,000 miles and easy mature driving this car is a disappointment. Sad to say, but it will be the last GM i buy.

Terrific car since new
By Ryan on 08/26/10 07:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2005 CTS Luxury Sport in Oct, 2004 with 300 'demo' miles on it and have beaten the tar out of it. I currently have 97,000 miles on the car with minimal complaints and overall, would not go back to the '97 Audi A4 I traded in for it (Caddy blows its doors off). While the 3.6 is known for oil consumption, it was purposely built at the high end of tolerances to free up horsepower. Consumption remains just under 1 quart per 2000 miles, which is within specification. Aside from brakes and tires, I have had a water pump, rear differential seal, and a headlight module replaced (all under warranty). Overall, I love the car, and it remains rattle and wind noise free after 97k miles.