Used 2005 Cadillac CTS Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Cadillac CTS - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Fun to drive but...
By Paul Shorts

2005 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Jumped into this after 4 years of driving a Buick Century. Couldn't resist the feel and performance, and fun of the 6 speed manual. Had great luck with the cheap old Buick so I figured I'd be safe purchasing another GM product. Purchased the car with 92,000 miles and it looked and drove like new. Had all dealer service records so I thought I'd be safe. Whoops!

Pros - The car handles amazing, and is extremely comfortable and fun to drive.

Cons - At 105K a grommet on the gear shift went out. Could still get 1st - 6th gears fine, but couldn't put it in reverse. $300 part, but Cadillac was out of them, and nothing aftermarket was available. Had to drive for 2 months with no reverse while waiting for the part. Sortly after purchase I noticed I was having fairly high oil consumption. Never had a car do this so I contacted Cadillac. Told them I was burning 2.5 quarts per 5000 miles. I was told by a mechanic at a Cadillac dealer that "that's really low consumption for the 3.6 motor". Now with 170K miles on it, it's using 1.5 - 2 quarts every 1000 miles. At 126K the motor broke a valve. Needed a full valve / upper motor job. $3500! At around 125K the traction control / ABS started acting up. Traction control engages when not needed, and occasionally the ABS engages when stopping, which can be a little scary. Transmission started leaking at about 125K. Too expensive to fix, so just keep adding oil to the MT when I change the oil. At 150K the brake lights quit working. Turns out it's a problem with the wiring loom. Repair was ridiculous so I just re wired it myself direct from the relay to the brake lights. Right catalytic converter now needs to be replaced. Can't get an inexpensive aftermarket cat in California. Going to be dumping this "beauty" as a non-op when it's time to get it smogged. Still can't believe that my cheap old Buick ran so well and never had a problem, and the sweet Caddy has literally been a piece of junk.

ownership and it woes
By linda lawson

2005 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

bought my 2005 cts and drove it 3800 miles and it used 5 quarts of oil just about ruined the engine had I not decided to do an early service the engine would have been shot. I have been around cars and worked on them all my life and I have yet to understand this excessive oil consumption as being normal. I have owned several gm products and this is the first one I have had with this problem. would I buy another one no way. gm needs to man up and fix this problem and not charge the consumer who spent their hard earned money to buy a car they thought was going to be reliable. no wonder people are turning to Honda and other cars

I don't know what you guys are talking about.
By bigsim

2005 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my CTS 4.ago and I love it, had a oil leak which was repaired under warranty. It does use a little oil so I keep an eye on it, this is a sports car I don't think a lot of people understand that so you have to be vigilant on upkeep I love this car and would recommend it to anyone ...Again this car is not for the person that doesn't take care of their car all the blown engine problems I bet can be traced back to some kind of abuse.

Everything!It blows the doors off of the Chrysler 300c.

I can't think of any.

291,000 and still going strong
By twee2

I bought
my 2005 CTS brand new in Oakland at the Cadillac dealer on Broadway. (Name changed years ago). I have 291,456 miles on my car and it is still running great for me. Most of the reviews talk about all the oil it drinks, this has not been the case for me. I get my oil changed between 5,ooo-7,000 miles faithfully. I did need to replace the transmission at 110,000 miles ($3500) but other than that it has been just the usual brakes, tires, and oil changes. I have had some minor things go wrong when it got in the 200,000 miles but other than that, this has been the BEST CAR EVER! People can't believe how many miles I have on my car. I keep waiting for something to happen but it hasen't.

Have not had a car payment in 3 years and I LOVE IT! Thanks Cadillac!

Oil Burner!!!
By mabyn66

2005 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 2005 CTS, but traded it in on a reliable car, a Honda.
I loved my CTS.
It was a beautiful car, but at about 60,000 miles it started burning oil. It had no drips or blue smoke.
They car was sounding weird and I had my husband check it.
It needed 5 quarts of oil.
There was no warning, or light.
The catalytic converter went out in it twice in a year and a half and then I started having a misfiring problem.
Whenever I was going up a hill, or had to accelerate fast, my whole car would jerk and then my engine light would start flashing.
Beautiful looking car, but looks only get you so far.
It was a major lemon and I'd never buy one again!!!!

The exterior and interior and beautifully designed.

Figure out the oil-burning problem.