Used 2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Cadillac Cts - Consumer Reviews

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan

Base 3.2L V6 5-speed Manual - (199 reviews )

2004 CTS 3.6L
By Mike

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

My initial excitement with this car was replaced by disappointment. Rear Shocks went at 37K, Wheel hub bearing at 50K (900 USD to replace), timing chain at 43K (1800 usd), airflow sensor @ 62K (450 usd), uses 1quart of oil per 1000 miles. This american luxury did not impress me. No wonder consumerreports rates it at "below average". GM: please wake up

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Everything listed above plus the transmission that appears to hesitate on acceleration

Mixed Emotions
By Bud Utecht

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

The CTS does not enjoy slippery conditions. Not a car to drive in Maine. While a great fun car to drive, it is a very expensive car to maintain. Tires will last about 24,000 miles, and don't hit a bump or you'll blow out a $650 rim. We did have significant electronic problems, which may have been due to dealer incompetence.

Favorite Features

Over-all design. Wildly fun to drive (on dry pavement). Bose speaker system, gets up to speed quick, big trunk for a sedan, roomy, but limits visibility to rear view.

Suggested Improvements

Traction control limits performance, tire-ware is horrible, some parts are hard to keep clean.

Amazing American Car
By pelicanbay225

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about 2 and a half months and this is absolutely amazing. I have the 3.6 L engine and acceleration is great and handling is also quite sharp, not to mention the turning radius on the car is one of the best out there. This car is super smooth at fast highway speeds and is a good looking car. When you compare it to other European cars in its class, this is hands down the best bang for the buck. This sure isn't just an old man's Cadillac. I'm in college and I love it. This is proof that Americans can make superb quality cars. The newer generation models look 10 times as amazing. The CTS is definitely the greatest American car on the market today.

Favorite Features

Looks, performance, smoothness, cool features.

Suggested Improvements

Even though it's a great quality car, the interior quality is still a little on the down side. The second generation models however greatly address this issue.

Best car I ever owned!
By GolfKahuna

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my CTS used with 46000 miles. It is my daily driver so I am racking up the miles on it. I have the 3.6L V6 and the performance is out of this world! Traction in the snow has been great with the Goodyear Triple Treads. My plan is to put 1 million miles on this thing!

Favorite Features

Performance, fun to drive, and always gets attention.

Problem with Timing Chain
By ppilsner

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

So excited to buy my first Cadillac. Certified pre-owned and have had regular oil changes. Manual says nothing about replacing this chain for the 3.6 engine, but does so for the 3.1. Just out of warranty, and paid off early. Chain broke with no warning whatsoever. Research and mechanics have said this should not have happened at this mileage. In the shop right now and we're up to $2100 and counting. Anyone else had a problem with timing chain? It's just wrong! Dealer is not wanting to make any adjustments, passing me off to corporate office.....very unhappy with my decision to purchase this american car. Between brake and shock problems, it's a regret.

Favorite Features

Look of exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Now I undertand why this motor was only used for two years.