2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 5-speed Manual - (199 reviews )
Awesome car
By eots44 on 06/30/13 10:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

First of all there is more than one trim level and engine option. I have the top trim level one with the upgraded 3.6 L and all wheel drive with the gold emblem package. Love every thing about the car I have bought other cars since this one but love it so much I kept it and still use it. Here 9 years later and about 180,000 miles she is still running strong and fun as hell to drive. I remember when I first test drove it I was in disbelief it was a caddy. Ive owned and remember the devilles, sevilles, and fleetwoods big floaty land yachts, but this is small and sporty, something I used to think wasn't in Cadillacs vocabulary.

Lots of Perfomance for the Dollar
By 04cts on 11/04/11 16:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I'm very happy with this car! The V6 the 5-speed is a blast. Everyone who rides in it is surprised with the style, ride and sportiness. Driving is fun again

Fun Ride
By jmrwest on 08/24/11 08:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the '04 CTS Sport used in June '09. Had 86k at the time. Fun car to drive. Great performance. So far had to replace the water pump, and throttle body at about a $700 a clip. Seems to go thru tires pretty quick too. Put a new set on about 12k ago and they won't last until next inspection April '12. Overall, got a great deal on this car. Paid about $11k. Still can't believe I paid that amount for such a sweet ride. Very reliable. Have taken on long road trips and love the performance.

Car from HELL
By newregal on 07/06/11 18:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a new 04 cts which was my 15th new auto. It came from a Stephen King flick i think. Everything was changed out on it but the paint job and it had to be redone. I never had a car that had the instrument panel replaced before. I gave GM so much trouble they even made a monthly payment for me. Cadillac is the most overpriced car made. I would not buy another Cad at ANY PRICE. I don't have time for the problems. The dealer kept it more than i did. After 40,000 I finally justified getting rid of my problem. I traded the car from HELL. It actually made it to the new car dealer that i traded it to.

Sporty Nightmare
By Z28west on 08/02/10 20:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

It's very fun to drive, and fast for a V6. Looks great and turns heads. Great interior. However it gets terrible mileage for a V6. I get 24 on highway if I'm lucky. It burns about a quart every 1000 miles! It is worthless in snow and ice. My transmission went out at 95,000 miles. $5000 for a new one installed at the dealership. When I step on my brakes the car shimmies and shakes back and forth. Had to replace a brake caliper at 75,000 miles $850! Basically it's a unreliable gas/oil burning expensive piece of crap that I can only use half of the year if the transmission wasn't broken! Spare yourself a headache and steer clear! Its looks ARE deceiving!

2004 CTS 3.6L
By Mike on 05/13/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

My initial excitement with this car was replaced by disappointment. Rear Shocks went at 37K, Wheel hub bearing at 50K (900 USD to replace), timing chain at 43K (1800 usd), airflow sensor @ 62K (450 usd), uses 1quart of oil per 1000 miles. This american luxury did not impress me. No wonder consumerreports rates it at "below average". GM: please wake up

Mixed Emotions
By Bud Utecht on 04/13/10 17:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

The CTS does not enjoy slippery conditions. Not a car to drive in Maine. While a great fun car to drive, it is a very expensive car to maintain. Tires will last about 24,000 miles, and don't hit a bump or you'll blow out a $650 rim. We did have significant electronic problems, which may have been due to dealer incompetence.

Amazing American Car
By pelicanbay225 on 03/19/10 20:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about 2 and a half months and this is absolutely amazing. I have the 3.6 L engine and acceleration is great and handling is also quite sharp, not to mention the turning radius on the car is one of the best out there. This car is super smooth at fast highway speeds and is a good looking car. When you compare it to other European cars in its class, this is hands down the best bang for the buck. This sure isn't just an old man's Cadillac. I'm in college and I love it. This is proof that Americans can make superb quality cars. The newer generation models look 10 times as amazing. The CTS is definitely the greatest American car on the market today.

Best car I ever owned!
By GolfKahuna on 02/23/10 17:34 PM (PST)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my CTS used with 46000 miles. It is my daily driver so I am racking up the miles on it. I have the 3.6L V6 and the performance is out of this world! Traction in the snow has been great with the Goodyear Triple Treads. My plan is to put 1 million miles on this thing!

Problem with Timing Chain
By ppilsner on 01/14/10 10:25 AM (PST)

2004 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

So excited to buy my first Cadillac. Certified pre-owned and have had regular oil changes. Manual says nothing about replacing this chain for the 3.6 engine, but does so for the 3.1. Just out of warranty, and paid off early. Chain broke with no warning whatsoever. Research and mechanics have said this should not have happened at this mileage. In the shop right now and we're up to $2100 and counting. Anyone else had a problem with timing chain? It's just wrong! Dealer is not wanting to make any adjustments, passing me off to corporate office.....very unhappy with my decision to purchase this american car. Between brake and shock problems, it's a regret.