2005 Cadillac CTS-V Consumer Review: over a year ownership (happy)

2005 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - Consumer Review

over a year ownership (happy)
By logun on

2005 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

bought my V with 49k on it in 2011. Performance is outstanding. It is F-A-S-T, saying that I don't abuse the car, but I have pushed the gas a few times. It corners well. The rear differential is crap. I cant say that enough. Huge fail point for GM. 2ndly the gear shift is crap as well. Designed after the BMW type shifter. It's vague & has a looong throw to it. Nothing like muscle car coupes of GM & Ford. Overall I do enjoy the car, it's definitely fun to drive & easy to pass folks. My suspension is nice & stiff, it will jar your kidneys on bumps. LOTS of power, sucks the gas if you lay into it. Decent mileage, City is aroud 16 mpg & hwy it's been up to 27mpg at 70 mph. 21mpg @ 85-90mph

The 5.7 liter LS6 motor is awesome. Seats are decent, handling is good. Exhaust note is great when you get on it. I'm not a huge fan of loud exhaust (I like the stealth feel until I get on the gas). The rear diff like almost every other V out there is JUNK. Inevitability it will have to be replaced. I've replaced the rear diff bushing which was almost gone completely when I changed it. Replacement diffs aren't much better, as they also tend to fail (Read up on this), some have even been worse after being replaced. There is an aftermarket diff (not GM) but it costs around $5k for the whole bolt in setup.

If you have small children that are in rear facing car seats & you are somewhat or are of good height (over 6') & don't like to sit close to the dash, this car isn't for you. I can put my son in his front facing seat behind me (I'm 6'6" tall) and he seems to be fine (the seat is all the way back). The rear facing seat on the passenger side leaves almost no leg room up front. Also not a lot of headroom in this car for me. I hit bumps, I duck to avoid hitting my head on the ceiling, other than that it is an ok fit. Nav unit is ok, not user friendly. Audio is nice. Squeaky front springs. I'm sure its the rubber stuff at the top of them.