Used 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Base Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Cadillac CTS-V - Consumer Reviews

2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Base 5.7L V8 6-speed Manual - (72 reviews )

2005 CTS V
By Jim

CTS IS TGE BEST
By Trish

2005 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Love it the best car ever

over a year ownership (happy)
By logun

2005 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

bought my V with 49k on it in 2011. Performance is outstanding. It is F-A-S-T, saying that I don't abuse the car, but I have pushed the gas a few times.
It corners well.
The rear differential is crap. I cant say that enough. Huge fail point for GM. 2ndly the gear shift is crap as well. Designed after the BMW type shifter. It's vague & has a looong throw to it. Nothing like muscle car coupes of GM & Ford. Overall I do enjoy the car, it's definitely fun to drive & easy to pass folks. My suspension is nice & stiff, it will jar your kidneys on bumps.
LOTS of power, sucks the gas if you lay into it.
Decent mileage, City is aroud 16 mpg & hwy it's been up to 27mpg at 70 mph. 21mpg @ 85-90mph

The 5.7 liter LS6 motor is awesome. Seats are decent, handling is good. Exhaust note is great when you get on it. I'm not a huge fan of loud exhaust (I like the stealth feel until I get on the gas). The rear diff like almost every other V out there is JUNK. Inevitability it will have to be replaced. I've replaced the rear diff bushing which was almost gone completely when I changed it. Replacement diffs aren't much better, as they also tend to fail (Read up on this), some have even been worse after being replaced. There is an aftermarket diff (not GM) but it costs around $5k for the whole bolt in setup.

If you have small children that are in rear facing car seats & you are somewhat or are of good height (over 6') & don't like to sit close to the dash, this car isn't for you. I can put my son in his front facing seat behind me (I'm 6'6" tall) and he seems to be fine (the seat is all the way back). The rear facing seat on the passenger side leaves almost no leg room up front. Also not a lot of headroom in this car for me. I hit bumps, I duck to avoid hitting my head on the ceiling, other than that it is an ok fit. Nav unit is ok, not user friendly. Audio is nice. Squeaky front springs. I'm sure its the rubber stuff at the top of them.

A Corvette for those of us with kids
By Tim

2005 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

First, I own a 2005 CTS-V, essentially this means my 400HP comes from a 5.7 L Aluminum block instead of a 6.0 L one..that difference notwithstanding, the vehicles are nearly identical. First, this is an amazing vehicle, and can be had at a reasonable price. I purchased mine and it still has a full MasterGuard GMPP Warranty. For those of you who are looking at CTS-V's, I would recommend post 2005, as the 05's have rear differential issues that were addressed with an updated P/N in 06 (mine has been replaced). I get many positive comments on my black V, and she begs to be driven rough. The 6 speed is phenomenal, if a little bulky in traffic. Very smooth, very dignified, and fits the family

6-speed, Built in G-Meter, 400 HP small block, Brembo Brakes

This is a purist Caddy (if there is such a thing) but I agree with others that some features (HUD, push button) would be welcomed which they've addressed in the '09. a GM supported supercharger kit would be fantastic. back it with a warranty and people will strap another booster on this rocket ship.

Racing Family
By mamma24

2005 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Love our cts-v, 6 speed, 5.7, 4 door! Fun to drive, looks HOT and holds 3 kids in the backseat! Can't complain about the mpg, getting 22 when we drive easy! Always run 91 in it too! Wouldn't trade it, after 2 years, even with my 'cons' below! Tinted the windows in solar guard 5%. Exhaust is not loud enough for me. Putting flowmasters on soon. Always turns heads everywhere we go as it is!

Tons of trunk space, holds 2 car seats in the back just fine. Love the 5.7! Manual is the only way to go! DVD player is nice too! Easy to clean seats. Love the sunroof and it's controls! Love the light switch is in middle, great with kids!! Corners like a dream. Love it still after 2 years!

Optional dvd in headrests would be nice! Don't like the material on the dash, reflects off windshield too much. Power trunk would be awesome! Remote start too! Hate the cup holders, they bug me when shifting, need more too! Needs arm rests that fold down too! Glove box is tiny and can't see in it!