2004 Cadillac CTS-V Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Cadillac Cts-v - Consumer Reviews

2004 CTS-V Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 6-speed Manual - (55 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

THIS CAR IS IT!!!!! No more European cars for me!
By doobster6

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Found me a pristine low miles '04 'V' just a few weeks back. I'm in love. Look for stupid excuses to drive it, anywhere, anytime, all the time! Drove German for years, no more. I'm a Baby Boomer mfg executive who grew up in the muscle car era but never owned one. Now I have it all. Best combination of Velcro-like handling and road comfort in 42 years of driving. Even PA's crappy roads can't flinch it. Will cruise effortlessly all day at 1,500 RPM in any gear; gets 29+ mpg doing it, or will scare you silly speed-wise at 6 mpg! Technology is dated but adequate. I'm proud to be driving American again!! Best performance bang for the buck on the planet; $18.5k for a mint American super-sedan!!

Favorite Features

400 HP; best front seats in 42 years of driving. Have come to love its edgy styling and simple, but effective interior. Handles on par with BMW E39 M5 but with better ride comfort. Muscle car motor music is part of what makes this 'executive's car' so much fun.

Suggested Improvements

Unforgivable that Cadillac didn't offer phone Bluetooth and voice commands with the V while offering them in the lesser CTS. DVD based NAV looks old school but gets the job done, mostly anyway.

OMG!!! FAST!
By mojomagic

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Just got this car with just over 100k and I am pleased. There were some things wrong that you would expect with a car with that many miles but GM parts are cheaper than Mercedes or BMW. One thing this car will do is eat your gas if you give it to it. I drive from Tampa to Orlando just to test it out and it ate a half tank of gas in only 83 miles! I was really driving for performance so that's what happens. On the way back I drive at 73 on cruise control and did not even use a quarter tank. So it depends on how you drive. I must say that this is my first American car and I think for the rest of my life I will be buying the "V" series from Caddy. I am a true believer now!

Favorite Features

I like when you press the gas you go!

Suggested Improvements

The gear shifter feels "sticky" going into second sometimes. Some parts feel a little cheap. lose the sued seats. better cup holders and storage compartments.

Show and Go
By Stuck in geAR

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought my "V" used with @60,000 miles, and from the moment I first drove it, I knew that I was going to buy it. I was looking for a car that spoke of elegance and class, but if prodded, it could flatten my eyeballs. I wanted a Mustang GT with room for my date and another couple. The "V" delivers in spades. If I could, I would only make three improvements. At 6'3", I need the headroom that I lose to the sunroof. The shifter needs refinement; the skip-shift feature can be a bother. Be able to use the information screen without having to play the radio or CD. I love this car, and I am looking to have a stable full!

Favorite Features

Engine; the furious power and sound. The seats, the size and the look.

Suggested Improvements

Refine the shifter, upgrade at least some of the plastic, modernize the vehicle information screen.

04 CTS-V
By DEP

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

Fun to drive in nice weather conditions! Very fast through all the gears, never in lack of power. Begs you to go fast! I bought used with 20k miles. Never had any problems mechanically and did not experience the differential problems some owner have had.

Favorite Features

400HP! Exterior styling, comfortable seats, and great handling on the road. Highway driving got great gas mileage for a 400hp ride.

Suggested Improvements

The original tires were completely worn out by 15k miles. Tricky in the snow, definitely need good snow tires on this ride!

What a Rush!
By Jerad

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is the nicest car I have ever driven; my father had Corvette's, Nissan 300 Twin Turbo Z's, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4's, and Mercedes. The car has so much power and the engine makes it a dream to drive. I like that it's so practicle as I have a family and a corvette does not make sense when you have kids and only want one car. I've really enjoyed the features and care that Cadillac put into this vehicle. It was nothing like I ever expected from Cadillac, whose typical design is conducive to older drivers who want luxury and to just sit back and let the car do the driving for them...with the CTS-V...you are in complete control.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, braking system, nav, OnStar

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is always a concern, but pretty darn reasonable when you consider what's under the hood.

MiCad
By Mitz

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned this car 3yrs. 6months and have enjoyed every minute of driving it. I am constantly being complimented on my beautiful car. I get around town 22.5 to 23 mpg, which is more than I ever expected. I will be trading soon as I try to keep an 'in warranty' car but I really hate to let it go. It has exceeded all of my expectations.

Favorite Features

Not one particular feature.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic windshield wipers. The only problem I have had is that for some reason my tires wear out too soon.

Good except Halfshafts and Differential!
By Kenny Sanders

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

This car is a blast to drive.Six speeds of pure satisfaction! The suede inserts of the middle portion of the seats are a very fresh look. I would love to give this car all 10's just on fun factor alone. But the build quality of the differential and halfshafts for this car is a horror show disaster waiting to happen. GM needs do some recalls to the differential/halfshafts to get this car safe. How they have the nerve to pass a V6 drivetrain into a V8 boggles me.

Favorite Features

The NAV radio is one of the best ones yet! Heated seats. Plenty of gauge choices. G-Force meter! Advanced driving competition mode choices.

Suggested Improvements

The differential is too weak. You have to have it replaced several times. 2004-2005 also have smaller 1.25" halfshafts. They will break during a spirited 1st-2nd shift. GM caught on in 2006 and increased the halfshaft size to 1.50". GM should recall all 04- 05 halfshafts. Same for the differential.

Great Non-Family Car
By Dennis

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I love my CTS-V. It is comfortable to drive and fun to drive HARD into turns. It has perfect balance. The only problem is paint rubbing off of the radio knobs and a rear end bearing failure. It has lots of wheel hop on a hard standing start, especially on wet pavement. I want a new '07 or '08 because of the 100,000 mile warranty. I plan to buy another one as soon this one's goes out of warranty..

Favorite Features

The power and handling are as good as the Corvettes I have owned over the years, but cops don't look at you as hard. It has great styling and a good GPS system that will also play DVDs through the great Bose sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rear end hop, which whiles out the rear end bearings. A Hurst shifter would be nice.

Fast Car, Handles Great
By hot car

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

The Cadillac CTS-V is a fast car. It does wheel hops off the line, but this can be fix by the dealer. It handles great, but its tires wear out fast and are expensive. The inside is nice, but I would like too see the inside of the doors covered in leather. Also there is no radio control for the CTS-V. The shifter needs improvement. For the first year of production, this was one heck of a car. Watch out in 2007

Favorite Features

The style is very hot looking.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the wheel hopping and improve the shifter.

G's CTS-V
By Greg Millard

2004 Cadillac CTS-V 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 6M)

I ordered this car six months before it was available. I grew anxious and impulse and bought a new Volvo S060R which was very nice but one drive of the 'V' and back went the Volvo to the dealership the S60 went, costing me over $5,000 for five weeks ownership. That is a lot of money, but the CTS- V is definetely a car with a soul that does was you want when you want and was well worth paying for my mistake. If fuel economy is your reason d'etre this is not your car. If however, high lateral grip, stupendous braking and ulta quick acceleration are on your list of priorities, you need look no further. And, it's Made in the USA.

Favorite Features

The reliability and ultra low cost dealer service compared to the Big three (MB, BMW & Audi) German equivalents.

Suggested Improvements

Ther shift linkage was quite long but the instalation of an aftermarket shifter cured that issue.