Wow, just wow. Auto, not manual here.
By hakalugi on
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon 4dr Wagon (6.2L 8cyl S/C 6M)
My first Caddy. My 3rd sports wagon (4th if you count a parent's Subaru that I cut my teeth on). I was in the market for a sports wagon that would be a little bigger than my beloved 2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited. That XT engine was a 300 whp (thanks to open source safe tuning) with 2 tone dash (black upper to keep glare down) but tan leather for heat rejection, a huge sunroof, heated seats, dual climate control, etc. Panamera's lack of 5 seats, and S7 too, ruled them out (3 kids). The lack of BMW 5 series wagons since 2010 and the Audi Allroad based on the smaller A4 left a gap in the market, and on a lark, I test drove the CTS-V wagon. Holy Handling Batman, this thing is amazing.
Favorite Features
People assume the 561 HP is the best thing about this car, almost, but not quite. The handling is even better. The Magnetic Ride Control shocks are amazing, they deal with road choppiness while eliminating body-roll. It's a schizophrenic joy to behold. 15" front 6 pot Brembos, with 14.7" and 4 pots in the back are fantastic. Mechanical limited slip with (easily defeatable) traction control can make it feel like an old school muscle car. Little caddy touches like: a small radio display that pops up for reversing or for nav, without always being a "hey look at me" display is sweet, having the amazing Recaro seats and suede paddle shift equipped steering retract for in/egress is great.
Suggested Improvements
I ran out of room in favorite features, yes, it's that good! Butt coolers: I Love'em, the ventilated seats. Power rear lift gate is very cool, and the 3/4 setting for "inside garages" is great. Speed sensitive power steering, it feels like an M3/M5 when rolling or a Caddy when parking, fantastic. Cons: It's a 2012 to so I can't be too picky, but, the back up camera is simply that, the Audi and other systems that show you the backup lines which are steering direction tied are a little more useful (but the great HID headlights that aim as you turn in the CTS-V are even better!). The largest Con, having to park so far away from everyone else in parking lots because the thought of a ding..