The near-perfect car
By gwoffreym on
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon 4dr Wagon (6.2L 8cyl S/C 6M)
I've had this car for 2500 miles now. All of the superlatives lavished on it by the auto press are apt and well deserved. I traded a 2005 CTS-V sedan and a 2010 CTS Performance Series Wagon in on this 2012 car that combines the functionality of both, a terrific if unusual combination. The car is docile and tractable when needs be and a manageable, hairy beast when the opportunity arises to let 'er rip. My mileage during break-in averaged 19 mpg, a little higher than EPA spec as has been my experience with my previous "V". The rainsense wipers take some getting used to...I would prefer a simple timeout as in past models...find it distracting waiting for the wiper to resond.
Favorite Features
This mashup between the "V" sedan and Sport Wagon has the best of both. Handling and performance are superior and breathtaking, without reservation. Wagon's luggage space is a welcome change from the sedan; great for touring. Recaro seats are excellent; my wife and I find that we can travel 12 or 14 hours in them without discomfort, unlike the stock seats..
Suggested Improvements
This car is excellent in so many respects that the few minor flaws assume an prominance out proportion to their importance, nevertheles... The 200 mph analog speedo is an interesting conversation piece, but a crummy instrument...3 mph bias in the readout is an intolerable irritant. The electric parking brake is a luxury car affectation that is unuseable as a real driving tool to hold the manual transmission car at a traffic light on a hill as the foot brake must be depressed to release it. Gimme a proper handbrake in a performance car, thank you. I'm 6 foot 1 and find the lateral legroom cramped compared to the 2005 "V" sedan. Recaro seat range of adjustment helps some.
By prdnme
on 06/28/12 15:52 PM (PDT)

Great write up. You have my twin! A little bit of info though, the Parking Brake has a hill assist option. If you apply the electric brake, just ease out the clutch with a little gas and the E-Brake will release automatically.

By gwoffreym
on 07/23/12 07:50 AM (PDT)

Have noticed the park brake release when forced with power but thought I was busting something, as it released with a "pop". Good to know this is a "feature". Having lived with the car for 9000+ miles, now, I still never tire of the performance and handling. What a terrific car to drive! I think the DIC nav could use a major update and it would be great if Cadillac offered a software update a la the ATS CUE but CTS button activated. My professional background is in software so I know they could do it.