Used 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 6.2L V8 Supercharger 6-speed Manual - (2 reviews )

Wow, just wow. Auto, not manual here.
By hakalugi

2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon 4dr Wagon (6.2L 8cyl S/C 6M)

My first Caddy. My 3rd sports wagon (4th if you count a parent's Subaru that I cut my teeth on). I was in the market for a sports wagon that would be a little bigger than my beloved 2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited. That XT engine was a 300 whp (thanks to open source safe tuning) with 2 tone dash (black upper to keep glare down) but tan leather for heat rejection, a huge sunroof, heated seats, dual climate control, etc. Panamera's lack of 5 seats, and S7 too, ruled them out (3 kids). The lack of BMW 5 series wagons since 2010 and the Audi Allroad based on the smaller A4 left a gap in the market, and on a lark, I test drove the CTS-V wagon. Holy Handling Batman, this thing is amazing.

People assume the 561 HP is the best thing about this car, almost, but not quite. The handling is even better. The Magnetic Ride Control shocks are amazing, they deal with road choppiness while eliminating body-roll. It's a schizophrenic joy to behold. 15" front 6 pot Brembos, with 14.7" and 4 pots in the back are fantastic. Mechanical limited slip with (easily defeatable) traction control can make it feel like an old school muscle car. Little caddy touches like: a small radio display that pops up for reversing or for nav, without always being a "hey look at me" display is sweet, having the amazing Recaro seats and suede paddle shift equipped steering retract for in/egress is great.

I ran out of room in favorite features, yes, it's that good! Butt coolers: I Love'em, the ventilated seats. Power rear lift gate is very cool, and the 3/4 setting for "inside garages" is great. Speed sensitive power steering, it feels like an M3/M5 when rolling or a Caddy when parking, fantastic. Cons: It's a 2012 to so I can't be too picky, but, the back up camera is simply that, the Audi and other systems that show you the backup lines which are steering direction tied are a little more useful (but the great HID headlights that aim as you turn in the CTS-V are even better!). The largest Con, having to park so far away from everyone else in parking lots because the thought of a ding..

The near-perfect car
By gwoffreym

2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon 4dr Wagon (6.2L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I've had this car for 2500 miles now. All of the superlatives lavished on it by the auto press are apt and well deserved. I traded a 2005 CTS-V sedan and a 2010 CTS Performance Series Wagon in on this 2012 car that combines the functionality of both, a terrific if unusual combination. The car is docile and tractable when needs be and a manageable, hairy beast when the opportunity arises to let 'er rip. My mileage during break-in averaged 19 mpg, a little higher than EPA spec as has been my experience with my previous "V". The rainsense wipers take some getting used to...I would prefer a simple timeout as in past models...find it distracting waiting for the wiper to resond.

This mashup between the "V" sedan and Sport Wagon has the best of both. Handling and performance are superior and breathtaking, without reservation. Wagon's luggage space is a welcome change from the sedan; great for touring. Recaro seats are excellent; my wife and I find that we can travel 12 or 14 hours in them without discomfort, unlike the stock seats..

This car is excellent in so many respects that the few minor flaws assume an prominance out proportion to their importance, nevertheles... The 200 mph analog speedo is an interesting conversation piece, but a crummy instrument...3 mph bias in the readout is an intolerable irritant. The electric parking brake is a luxury car affectation that is unuseable as a real driving tool to hold the manual transmission car at a traffic light on a hill as the foot brake must be depressed to release it. Gimme a proper handbrake in a performance car, thank you. I'm 6 foot 1 and find the lateral legroom cramped compared to the 2005 "V" sedan. Recaro seat range of adjustment helps some.