2001 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (37 reviews )
Excellent car!
By car5car on 06/18/14 01:53 AM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is a good car. People never change timing belts, check oil and antifreeze and then complain about engine failure. Some other problems, which were solved are very common for other cars: ignition coils die all the time on Fords and Nissans, valve cover gaskets need to be replaced on Toyotas. All reliability problems were solved by GM by 2000. 2000 and 2001 are reliable cars.

Utter Disappointment
By soren919 on 01/15/11 21:59 PM (PST)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My very first car turned out to be a lemon and a stressor on my mother. Seemed like a nice, clean car that wouldn't cost me a lot because it was a Cadillac and Cadillac's usually are pretty dependable. But this car, just was an EPIC FAIL. Now I'm trading it in and getting this burden off of me and my mother! Engine repair costed $2000, then the brakes, then tires, then transmission (which has to be injected into engine which is even more money) sunroof works when it wants to, back wheel drive stinks (especially in snow and ice), power locks on driver side went out, and on top of all of that, CRAPPY gas mileage...please don't ever buy this car...all of these cars should be set on fire!!

What A Lemon
By Eileen on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned; and I've owned many. The engine blew at 77,000 miles and needed a total rebuild. Then the rear went, as did the radiator, and the battery. The radio goes on and off at will, the oil light does the same. The rear windows, if you make the mistake of lowering them, will come back up when they feel like it - sometimes it takes days. As of today, I have been riding around with a garbage bag covering my window and it's been down for 3 days! The rear lights, including the blinkers, also work when they want to. The electronics in this vehicle are a joke. What a piece of junk.

Money Pit
By DJ on 05/04/10 20:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. I had to replace a computer chip, transmission, water pump, axel, springs, sway bars. The tires are expensive and break easy because they are so thin. Parts for the car are expensive. The time belt needs to be replaced and its going to cost me $500! It has been in the shop more than on the road and I'm afraid to drive it because I cant afford keep putting money into it. It's terrible in the snow but great in the rain. I love my car when it works but that's not too often. :(

Disappointed!
By Tina on 10/17/09 23:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it was a beauty and had the sporty look I wanted. Thought "Wow! A Cadillac! This should be a great car. Well, its has been nothing but a money eating nightmare. Was so excited to get it paid off and its still killing my pocketbook! Don't want to go back in debt for a car, but I don't know how much more of this lemon I can take. Looks great but unfortunately the mechanic sees it more than I do! Had the transmission replaced 2 years after I bought it, thand God was still under warranty. Now no heat and its getting cold outside.

oil fire!
By oil fire! on 09/08/09 02:38 AM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My car caught on fire from a leak in the valve cover, and the fire messed up the wiring. Since then all kinds of funny things happened. The radio worked when it wanted, the gas cap and the trunk switch locked and would not open. I liked my car because it was small and supple to operate, but when the expense of fixing it became too much, I traded it off for a Buick. The final straw was the failure of the engine module which left me without a running car, and a wait for the new part. I have pumped a lot of money into maintenance but this was too much. The reliability was not good so I sold the car... Hated to see ol flame go, but it has gone to the great beyond now

Worst Cadillac - EVER!
By Albert on 08/07/09 12:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a reliability disaster - a breakdown waiting to happen - it can be downright dangerous. A Cadillac-ized Opel isn't worth a dime. In less than two years 12K worth of warranty work. When the warranty is up this car is toast.

2001 Catera disaster
By Albert Bright on 07/22/09 10:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2001 Catera, 2nd owner, 8K from local GM dealer bought with only 31K original miles on it. Mechanical nightmare. Two weeks after purchase: all seals went, entire cooling system replaced and engine stripped and rebuilt under warranty. All due to GM's Dex-Cool. It eats the seals. March '09: replaced radiator and water pump, again under warranty, and again due to Dex-Cool. At 45K rear third brake light strip burnt out, not warranteed. Replaced by dealer, part cost 400.00 alone. July 09: back to dealer for coolant leaks, transmission hesitation, and all- around 'groaning' whenever car turns a corner. The Catera is a nightmare. No more GM's in my driveway.

US and quality, just does not exist
By SrMast on 05/08/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it was built in Germany. Shortly after I found out that many components have been altered to fit GM's US-requirements, which do not include quality. I have the same issues as many posted here, electrical issues (US version has an extensive OBD-II emission system which is not even cleaner than Europe's)and mechanical issues (rough running engine, stalling).

PERFECT CAR - NO PROBLEMS
By PAveL on 05/01/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought cadillac almost year ago with 86k miles. sport package, winter package, xenon headlights, bose audio, 17 inch rims and many more. ABSOLUTLY NO PROBLEMS WITH THE CAR!!! Vehicle in great shape without breaking the budget. perfect car for every day luxury transportation. Reliable and comfortable.