Used 2001 Cadillac Catera Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )

It's my own fault
By David H Myers

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After my wife totalled my Chrysler 300, she bought a 2001 Catera from our mechanic. The sold it to us for $600 + $2,400 in repairs. It seemed OK at first. I suppose I shoudn't have let her buy such an old car. The water pump went, then the fuel pump, then the key lock. As stated by others, the sunroof has a mind of its own. I am spending, on average, about $600 / month to keep this thing on the road. It still needs from front end work. They don't make the part for the electronic anti-theft key anymore; mechanic had to order the part from MO. I have put my wife to task to do something about this thing. We have to get rid of it.

Fancy fancy. Memory seats. separate temperature controls, nice sound system, lots of buttons and features that are usually intuitive.

A full car crusher. Turn it into an 8 cu ft block of steel.

Excellent car!
By car5car

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is a good car. People never change timing belts, check oil and antifreeze and then complain about engine failure. Some other problems, which were solved are very common for other cars: ignition coils die all the time on Fords and Nissans, valve cover gaskets need to be replaced on Toyotas. All reliability problems were solved by GM by 2000. 2000 and 2001 are reliable cars.

Utter Disappointment
By soren919

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My very first car turned out to be a lemon and a stressor on my mother. Seemed like a nice, clean car that wouldn't cost me a lot because it was a Cadillac and Cadillac's usually are pretty dependable. But this car, just was an EPIC FAIL. Now I'm trading it in and getting this burden off of me and my mother! Engine repair costed $2000, then the brakes, then tires, then transmission (which has to be injected into engine which is even more money) sunroof works when it wants to, back wheel drive stinks (especially in snow and ice), power locks on driver side went out, and on top of all of that, CRAPPY gas mileage...please don't ever buy this car...all of these cars should be set on fire!!

Roomy interior. Comfortable, leather, heated seats. Fun to drive.

Everything. If they decided to bring this car back for the 2012 year (which I doubt, just giving a scenario), they have a lot of improvements ahead of them.

What A Lemon
By Eileen

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned; and I've owned many. The engine blew at 77,000 miles and needed a total rebuild. Then the rear went, as did the radiator, and the battery. The radio goes on and off at will, the oil light does the same. The rear windows, if you make the mistake of lowering them, will come back up when they feel like it - sometimes it takes days. As of today, I have been riding around with a garbage bag covering my window and it's been down for 3 days! The rear lights, including the blinkers, also work when they want to. The electronics in this vehicle are a joke. What a piece of junk.

It's a smooth ride.

Don't purchase, or reproduce, this vehicle.

Money Pit
By DJ

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. I had to replace a computer chip, transmission, water pump, axel, springs, sway bars. The tires are expensive and break easy because they are so thin. Parts for the car are expensive. The time belt needs to be replaced and its going to cost me $500! It has been in the shop more than on the road and I'm afraid to drive it because I cant afford keep putting money into it. It's terrible in the snow but great in the rain. I love my car when it works but that's not too often. :(

The sound system, heated seats, gas mileage, safety features, traction control, it handles great.