2001 Cadillac Catera Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

2001 Catera Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

It's my own fault
By David H Myers

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After my wife totalled my Chrysler 300, she bought a 2001 Catera from our mechanic. The sold it to us for $600 + $2,400 in repairs. It seemed OK at first. I suppose I shoudn't have let her buy such an old car. The water pump went, then the fuel pump, then the key lock. As stated by others, the sunroof has a mind of its own. I am spending, on average, about $600 / month to keep this thing on the road. It still needs from front end work. They don't make the part for the electronic anti-theft key anymore; mechanic had to order the part from MO. I have put my wife to task to do something about this thing. We have to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

Fancy fancy. Memory seats. separate temperature controls, nice sound system, lots of buttons and features that are usually intuitive.

Suggested Improvements

A full car crusher. Turn it into an 8 cu ft block of steel.

Excellent car!
By car5car

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is a good car. People never change timing belts, check oil and antifreeze and then complain about engine failure. Some other problems, which were solved are very common for other cars: ignition coils die all the time on Fords and Nissans, valve cover gaskets need to be replaced on Toyotas. All reliability problems were solved by GM by 2000. 2000 and 2001 are reliable cars.

Utter Disappointment
By soren919

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My very first car turned out to be a lemon and a stressor on my mother. Seemed like a nice, clean car that wouldn't cost me a lot because it was a Cadillac and Cadillac's usually are pretty dependable. But this car, just was an EPIC FAIL. Now I'm trading it in and getting this burden off of me and my mother! Engine repair costed $2000, then the brakes, then tires, then transmission (which has to be injected into engine which is even more money) sunroof works when it wants to, back wheel drive stinks (especially in snow and ice), power locks on driver side went out, and on top of all of that, CRAPPY gas mileage...please don't ever buy this car...all of these cars should be set on fire!!

Favorite Features

Roomy interior. Comfortable, leather, heated seats. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. If they decided to bring this car back for the 2012 year (which I doubt, just giving a scenario), they have a lot of improvements ahead of them.

What A Lemon
By Eileen

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned; and I've owned many. The engine blew at 77,000 miles and needed a total rebuild. Then the rear went, as did the radiator, and the battery. The radio goes on and off at will, the oil light does the same. The rear windows, if you make the mistake of lowering them, will come back up when they feel like it - sometimes it takes days. As of today, I have been riding around with a garbage bag covering my window and it's been down for 3 days! The rear lights, including the blinkers, also work when they want to. The electronics in this vehicle are a joke. What a piece of junk.

Favorite Features

It's a smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Don't purchase, or reproduce, this vehicle.

Money Pit
By DJ

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. I had to replace a computer chip, transmission, water pump, axel, springs, sway bars. The tires are expensive and break easy because they are so thin. Parts for the car are expensive. The time belt needs to be replaced and its going to cost me $500! It has been in the shop more than on the road and I'm afraid to drive it because I cant afford keep putting money into it. It's terrible in the snow but great in the rain. I love my car when it works but that's not too often. :(

Favorite Features

The sound system, heated seats, gas mileage, safety features, traction control, it handles great.

Disappointed!
By Tina

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it was a beauty and had the sporty look I wanted. Thought "Wow! A Cadillac! This should be a great car. Well, its has been nothing but a money eating nightmare. Was so excited to get it paid off and its still killing my pocketbook! Don't want to go back in debt for a car, but I don't know how much more of this lemon I can take. Looks great but unfortunately the mechanic sees it more than I do! Had the transmission replaced 2 years after I bought it, thand God was still under warranty. Now no heat and its getting cold outside.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo system, Beatiful exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the local junkyard

oil fire!
By oil fire!

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My car caught on fire from a leak in the valve cover, and the fire messed up the wiring. Since then all kinds of funny things happened. The radio worked when it wanted, the gas cap and the trunk switch locked and would not open. I liked my car because it was small and supple to operate, but when the expense of fixing it became too much, I traded it off for a Buick. The final straw was the failure of the engine module which left me without a running car, and a wait for the new part. I have pumped a lot of money into maintenance but this was too much. The reliability was not good so I sold the car... Hated to see ol flame go, but it has gone to the great beyond now

Favorite Features

comfort, driving pleasure, compact cadillac with a lot of extras ..German built quality but a lot of small flaws resulting in a fire which finished it off

Suggested Improvements

improve wiring access...hard to fix...valve cover warped, causing the fire. too much money to fix...do not forget to replace timing belt when necessary if you want to keep this car

Worst Cadillac - EVER!
By Albert

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a reliability disaster - a breakdown waiting to happen - it can be downright dangerous. A Cadillac-ized Opel isn't worth a dime. In less than two years 12K worth of warranty work. When the warranty is up this car is toast.

Favorite Features

Comfort / Handling / Room

Suggested Improvements

Buy a BMW instead.

2001 Catera disaster
By Albert Bright

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2001 Catera, 2nd owner, 8K from local GM dealer bought with only 31K original miles on it. Mechanical nightmare. Two weeks after purchase: all seals went, entire cooling system replaced and engine stripped and rebuilt under warranty. All due to GM's Dex-Cool. It eats the seals. March '09: replaced radiator and water pump, again under warranty, and again due to Dex-Cool. At 45K rear third brake light strip burnt out, not warranteed. Replaced by dealer, part cost 400.00 alone. July 09: back to dealer for coolant leaks, transmission hesitation, and all- around 'groaning' whenever car turns a corner. The Catera is a nightmare. No more GM's in my driveway.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, comfortable long-distance tourer with very nice interior features, surprisingly roomy for four adults and exceptionally large trunk - but a totally unreliable car.

Suggested Improvements

Cars have been considered reliable since the self-starter was invented - how GM screwed-up on the Catera is a mystery. If you own one, send it back to GM or just plain junk it - buy a used BMW.

US and quality, just does not exist
By SrMast

2001 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because it was built in Germany. Shortly after I found out that many components have been altered to fit GM's US-requirements, which do not include quality. I have the same issues as many posted here, electrical issues (US version has an extensive OBD-II emission system which is not even cleaner than Europe's)and mechanical issues (rough running engine, stalling).

Favorite Features

Quality (built, not components used), design, comfort, overall appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Already done, Cadillac stopped making it.