2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Catera model:
Bad apples of the Cadillac.
By Miriam on 04/23/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Repaired 3 times check Engine never goes away. Inside Engine material is plastic imagine! on a 260 degree Hot Engine. that is why it constant need repair. This car should had been a recall. It stop in the middle of the road without warning. Don't bother to call GM they won't help you, this has been put under the carpet rather then recall. (IS Cheaper).

Cadillac's Worst Car
By anonymous on 08/14/09 13:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is terrible. The one good thing I got out of it was that I could warn other people like you to NOT buy this car. I've had problem after problem with this car. It is always at the mechanic. Seemed like a good buy, but I spent so much more money repairing it. Some of the problems I had were my door falling apart, power windows stopped working, my ABS and traction control stopped working, and my speedomotor hasn't worked in months. My car randomly broke down once on my way to work too. This car is a PIECE. DO NOT buy one. Cadillac made a terrible car, I would never want anyone to have the problems I had with this car. It might look cute and nice on the outside, but it is terribly made.

An Absolute WASTE Of Money!
By Allison on 03/22/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I haven't even had this car for a month and it's already been in the shop three different times! Problems with the engine, mass air flow sensor, gaskets, and electrical problems. The first week I had it, ran great. Now the radio and heated seats quit working. And to top it all off, the sunroof automatically opens at random times and will not close! I thought cadillacs were nice reliable luxery vehicles???? Don't let the looks fool you!

Do not buy one
By Crapola on 11/10/08 05:38 AM (PST)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

What a piece of junk! I took a gamble and bought a 2000 Catera this past August. Traded it in this month ( November ). In the 3 months I owned it, I spent almost $1,000 in repairs. Transmission solonoid, oil gasket, emission valve, brake boost valve....countless others needed and advised by my mechanic to cut my losses and pawn it off, so I did. If anyone out there is looking at buying one of these, don't! The car may look nice and the price may be right, but just don't do it. Parts are very expensive, and these cars are a real pain to work on! It will be a choice you will soon regret, just like I did. I got next to nothing on trade in too, by the way! Cost me lots of money in the end!

Not a real Cadillac
By dcv on 08/22/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car drives like a dream, however, the check engine light will not go off. No one can find the problem. The rear middle seat belt locks and cannot be used. The gas mileage is horrible. A new fuel pump at 70K cost me $917. If you try to run anything except premium fuel, you will find yourself in a world of hurt. My advice is to buy a real Cadillac (Deville, for example). Better mileage, better service. Cadillac needs to stand behind this product and make it right. I sure wish I had bought a Deville!

I just don't know
By drika on 04/13/08 12:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just got this car and the rear end went out on it where the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with the car. now I'm working on getting the check engine light off

love it
By Love it !!! on 03/22/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well I'm 16 years old and I drive a 00' white Cadillac Catera. I love it everything about it is good. I wish they still made the Cateras. When i told everyone i was getting a caddy they all assumed it was going to be a big boat. But of course it's not, it's a great size and has a lot of room in it. Its very good for being a 2000.

Belongs in Junk Yard
By dt13 on 01/24/08 19:38 PM (PST)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 60,000 miles and had only 65,000 when I got rid of it. Nearly over 3,000 dollars was spent in repairs in less than a year. They included: door latch ($300), all 4 tie rods, mass air flow sensor, engine crank sensor, valve cover and gaskets, and coolant shut off switch. SRS, and rear shocks were bad too. Everything had too be fixed by the dealer, no ASE mechanic could service it, but had it towed from their shop to the dealer. The car came with a warranty, however, many parts were not covered, and there was a 250$ deductible for whatever was repaired. I knew another lady who had one and had even more trouble. Junk! Please do not buy.

Mechanic's job security
By Unhappy owner on 01/21/08 12:32 PM (PST)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this low mileage Catera for my son because it appeared to be in excellent condition and it appeared well cared for. It was probably low mileage because it likely was in the shop all the time like I have experienced! I thought this platform was supposed to have been a well engineered Opel model brought to the U.S. to compete with the best sports sedans of the world? In the 1st 7 months, I spent over one third of the cost of the entire car on repairs! The car has nice features and is a good driving car, but I would be afraid to take it out of town in cold weather out of fear of being stranded!! I had hope to find my son a reliable car to take to college...I was very wrong!

To my surprise
By Back in a Caddy on 11/11/07 17:46 PM (PST)

2000 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm surprised by this car, I've not had a lot of problems with my sedan. I bought this used a few years back with 48,000 mi on it after I couldnt afford to get my older 7 series BMW fixed. I sometimes forgot I wasn't in my BMW when driving down the interstate because the Catera gripped the road like a small series BMW. If you stood outside this car you'd think a tall man like myself that stands 6'4 could never fit comfortably and then you get in, it's like wow? I've found that a lot of GM mechanics have a hard time working on my car because it's German made so I've been taking it to my BMW mechanic who feels right at home. I've serviced this car on a reg basis and soon approaching 100,000!