Used 1998 Cadillac Catera Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (61 reviews )

Catera, A Nice Preowned Vechicle
By MikeMann

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I bought a 98 Catera in 2001. I have always like GM cars and I still do. By far the Catera is probably one of the best handling cars in recent years but I would have never bought this vehicle brand new. I think this is an excellent car for say around 16K. The other reason I chose this car is because in sea audis, bmws, and mercedes, the catera was a breath of fresh air in the entry level sports sedan market.

Favorite Features

Styling, Handling, Very Solid compared to the cheap sounding doors that are now being put on cars like the X5 and the X3.

Suggested Improvements

More precise transmission shifting. More Power. 250 hp would be better, or VVT engine. CTS now has this technology

catera 1998
By dwp

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I like the vehicle except for maintenance is very expensive. I also had a SAFETY incident where the front passanger seat caught on fire contacted GM and they were not willilg to fix it or look into the safety issue I am taking it to an independant dealer will take pick and get an estimate an well have to fight this one in court. My opinion GM as all american car makers lack committment and quality I would never purchase a GM product because of the above.....

Suggested Improvements

they need to fix the seat warmer issues make the vehicle less heavy

'98 Catera full of problems
By noxoc

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Very disappointed in this vehicle. Expected better quality. Feel like I bought a Yugo instead of a Cadillac. Problems include door hinge straps coming unwelded from door frames, cigarette lighter falling out of console, cup holders broke first time used, stereo speaker covers fall off, coolant leak somewhere near intake manifold, battery goes dead when vehicle sits unused for more than 2 days, wheel jack & tools made from cheap materials - bent into unusable shape used. Poor customer service from Cadillac.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating

Suggested Improvements

Too much to list. Seems like it was slapped together with little consideration for quality or reliability.

Actually a very good vehicle!
By nocovberage

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Purchased this vehicle when it came off a friends lease. I was wise to purchase the vehicle as certified to extend the warranty as the battery has failed twice both covred by warranty, two electrical problems and a cooling problem.

Favorite Features

Ride, looks, the car's body is a rock.

Suggested Improvements

Cadillac you sponsored it, continue to support it for at least 100,000 miles on each vehicle!

catera fun
By lindalou

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

This car holds the road! It is fun to drive and effortless. Miles sail by without exertion with pure fun handling of the road. The bad weather has not been a challenge using common sense. The interior is comfortable and was upgraded in later years - but it is a shame this vehicle was discontinued.

Favorite Features

The handling - it literally sticks to the curves.