Used 1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (61 reviews )

Don't buy Catera or any other GM product
By Alex

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been absolutely terrible. Although the car is a nice drive when running right it rarely runs right. Lucky I bought an extended warranty that has paid more than $10,000 in repair costs. My problems range from a faulty seat heater to a broken transmission and bad control arm bushings. Also, during my frequent dealership visits I have received crappy service. Don't buy this car or anything else GM makes.

Favorite Features

Styling, ride quality, stereo is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality.

Good Ole GM
By ooouch!

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

GM had a recall on water pump and pulleys on this vehicle. At 44,000 miles this was done by my dealership. The failure occured at 61,000 miles. Cadillac said sorry for your luck but it is only warranted for 12 months. I think it would probably have lasted longer if they didn't do the "fix" (and then charged enough to do both repairs). Not a good marketing ploy. My wife wants a new Caddy but it'll be an import now. Thank heavens for Japanese automakers.

Favorite Features

styling

I Love This Car
By Lou Porter

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have loved every moment I have owned my 1998 Cadillac Catera and I am disappointed that it is no longer available. My previous car was a BMW. My only regret is the car hs only 200 horsepower. However, it performs quite well when I do highway driving.

Favorite Features

The handling is quite good. Though I have nearly 95,000 miles on it, it is still tight and rides well. The interior finish was done well and still looks new.

Suggested Improvements

Give it more power. With an additional 50 horsepower, this would be a fine car indeed.

High Cost to Own
By michael

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I like my 1998 Cadillac Catera a lot, when it works. I just spent $700 on the emergency brake assembly. The dealerships is asking another $1,200 to replace the oil pump. The engine coolant light comes on and off constantly. The car drives really well when everything is working on it, but I worry everyday that something else is going to break. Make sure your have a lot of extra money if you want to buy one of these.

Don't Waste Your Money
By Nicholas

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Cadillac Catera may be one of the worst cars ever made! Although it has a smooth drive and a sleek sexy body, the repairs on this car will drive you to the poor house. Please, don't make the mistake I did by pumping cash into this poorly made car. Go get a dependle Honda, Acura, or Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Make a dependable car!