1998 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (61 reviews )
an under rated car
By sgm on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

one of the better German built cars that I have driven. Compares favorably with Audi. Have had two. Handling and steering are the best qualities. It is true that the motor could have used a few more ponies, but who cares @ 220kph+ with great control. If you are going to buy one, make sure it is under 7 yrs. or 160,000 km. or make sure that the cam tensioner pulleys, timing belt and water pump have been changed under the GM recall. Otherwise, if they fail, at power, the engine is worth far more than the car to replace.

Good overall Car
By jonjon5000 on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

My car was pushed to the limit by the previous owner, so it's kinda loose. The armrest is taken up by the cupholder (pretty dumb to me), and the interior is too ugly, but otherwise this car has no complaints. Too heavy for good gas mileage. Really worth $8- 10k, though.

Lots of bugs after 40k miles
By bill1 on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Lots of small problems which are expensive to replace. Difficult engine compartment in which to work.

Underrated Vehicle
By rickmm on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Catera new. I have 37k on it. Problems: recall on the timing belt and a minor coolant leak. I am sorry that Cadillac discontinued this vehicle. This car had many good reviews at its inception; only to be followed by negative press in the area of reliability (mainly electrical issues). I have NOT experienced ONE electrical problem; nor would I say the car is unreliable. To the contrary, the car has been excellent. I think this car is extremely underrated and as a result, a bargain. I would certainly buy one again. I wish Opel sold here.

my car
By enver kamencic on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

this car is the best

Catera: Surprisingly Good!
By GadaliaS on 04/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new 11/98 and with the exception of a few recalls, I have had no mechanical problems with this car. I have 50,000 miles and recently replaced the tires and aligned the wheels. It is fun to drive, looks classy and gives good gas mileage on the road. The AM radio sucks, as well as the coffee cup holders but the car has been excellent!

Was a great car
By Mhoebener on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Our car only went in the shop under warrenty and once for the timing belt to be replaced after warrenty and they did that free. I say this was great because my wife has since totaled it.She ran a red light and although the car is now trash she was unhurt. This is one tough car. There were things about the car I did not like ex. disposable rotors eeek and the cost of the tires. But all and all this is one safe car.

Great Car!!!!!
By Scarab on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I can't believe what I'm reading in those other reviews. I have driven this car over 50,000 miles and NEVER had a problem. It is fun to drive, fast, handles great, looks great, is comfortable, and a pleasure to own. I think this car is an incredible value. I saw some in Europe not long ago and the people I talked to just loved them. I've also know other peolpe here in the states that have owned them and also loved them. I suppose any manufacturer can make a few lemons, and clearly those are represented below. I've never personally met anyone who did not like this car after owning one. Overall this car is fantastic and a great deal!

I'll be glad when it's gone
By Kcsmom98 on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I found a really cute Catera for 15,000 with 24000 miles and thought I was getting a good deal. I was very wrong. Since the date of purchase, about 18 months ago, it's been in the shop numerous times. Once for recalls, then back again because the belts that were replaced were squeaking, the exhaust rattles, the steering wheel squeaks when you turn, it leaves a "mystery puddle" on the garage floor everyday, revs too high when casual driving. Overall I would NOT recommend this car to anyone. It is cute to look at but that is it not worth the headache.

disappointed
By gpl96 on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

We purchased the Catera without doing our homework, big mistake, it seems like we were in the shop every few weeks getting something fixed, fortunately the car was under warranty so we were able to get a loaner each time. after the warranty ran out, it seems like we left the car in the shop, at this point we are paying for the loaner out of our own pocket, the transmission was terrible- didn't shift right, the moonroof gave us problems, stereo was great when it worked, loved the look, loved the ride, too bad the engine was a nightmare, beware before you buy!