1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (61 reviews )
Out to Pasture
By SadCatera Owner on 08/05/06 12:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I got my 2002 Catera it only had 36,000 miles. Let's see, it needed a new valve cover gasket to the tune of $1,100, and oil cooler for $850, a heater control valve for $250, three batteries at $65 each, and a radiator for $450. Now I have a blown head gasket...I am not fixing it any more. This puppy will go to pasture. Avoid this car at all cost. When running right, it was nice...but that wasnt very often.

The Caddy that Zigs
By G Y on 07/14/06 02:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Catera is reliable, cute, luxurious, has a smooth ride, fits like a glove, and has an automatic transmission and they don't make them with automatics now...just sticks. Mine has never hahd any mechanical problems.

Avoid at all Costs
By AVOID AT ALL COSTS on 06/14/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car 3+ months, it only had 67,000 miles when I bought it. I have already spent $900 for a new radiator becuase an electrical short caused the fans to quit, causing the radiator to fail. I've put a new battery in it, costing $150. Today, I am spending $600 on new brakes, rotors, and sensors. Possibly more once they have had to look at the back brakes. The AC doesn't work, power steering fails on twisty roads, and there is a short in the electrical system causing the radio and interior lights not to work unless the key is in the off position. And the vehicle now only has 71,000 miles. Not to mention the heated seats are out as well. What's next, I;m working two jobs just to pay for repairs.

Keep AWAY from this Car
By LeeinATL on 05/23/06 08:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been a nightmare since I purchased it! The stack of paper from repair work is as thick as a book. The trade in value for the car is as much as the repairs it needs to be able to trade it. I have spent so much on the car that I could have bought another in the time I have owned it. I was even advised by the head of a local Cadillac dealer to get rid of it. This car has been a nightmare for GM and they are not standing behind it.

A Piece of Junk
By michella on 11/24/05 00:45 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had my Cadillac Catera for four years and it has been in the shop over 35 times for repairs. This car has been nothing but a pain in the rear and a waste of my money. Cadillac should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the consumers to continue to purchase this vehicle.

Don't buy Catera or any other GM product
By Alex on 09/01/05 05:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been absolutely terrible. Although the car is a nice drive when running right it rarely runs right. Lucky I bought an extended warranty that has paid more than $10,000 in repair costs. My problems range from a faulty seat heater to a broken transmission and bad control arm bushings. Also, during my frequent dealership visits I have received crappy service. Don't buy this car or anything else GM makes.

Good Ole GM
By ooouch! on 08/25/05 22:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

GM had a recall on water pump and pulleys on this vehicle. At 44,000 miles this was done by my dealership. The failure occured at 61,000 miles. Cadillac said sorry for your luck but it is only warranted for 12 months. I think it would probably have lasted longer if they didn't do the "fix" (and then charged enough to do both repairs). Not a good marketing ploy. My wife wants a new Caddy but it'll be an import now. Thank heavens for Japanese automakers.

I Love This Car
By Lou Porter on 06/11/05 13:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have loved every moment I have owned my 1998 Cadillac Catera and I am disappointed that it is no longer available. My previous car was a BMW. My only regret is the car hs only 200 horsepower. However, it performs quite well when I do highway driving.

High Cost to Own
By michael on 06/10/05 10:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I like my 1998 Cadillac Catera a lot, when it works. I just spent $700 on the emergency brake assembly. The dealerships is asking another $1,200 to replace the oil pump. The engine coolant light comes on and off constantly. The car drives really well when everything is working on it, but I worry everyday that something else is going to break. Make sure your have a lot of extra money if you want to buy one of these.

Don't Waste Your Money
By Nicholas on 01/04/05 16:30 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Cadillac Catera may be one of the worst cars ever made! Although it has a smooth drive and a sleek sexy body, the repairs on this car will drive you to the poor house. Please, don't make the mistake I did by pumping cash into this poorly made car. Go get a dependle Honda, Acura, or Toyota.