Used 1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )

Run from this one.
By Dorothy

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from dealer as a certified used vehicle with 42,000 miles. Service engine light on and off as well other indicator lights for no apparent reason. Long story short, at 80,000 miles everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. With a loss of apx. $4,500.00 in repairs, parked the thing, using it as lawn ornament. Engine and cooling system is crap. Cadillac offered $1000.00 rebate if we would buy a new cadillac. Needless to say you know what I told them. The Bose radio is great...What can you say. Run run run even if someone tries to give you this car, you will be doing fix and repair daily.

Favorite Features

Bose Radio

My biggest Mistake.
By kymika01

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

My husband and I purchased this car thinking that it was a cadillac, it had to be worth the money right? WRONG!!!! It has been a nightmare from the first week we owned it. We have put enough repair in it to have bought another car. It had a rebuilt engine only a couple of years ago and now we are junking it because yet again there are over 1k in repairs needed. I can not believe Cadillac ever allowed such a car to scar their name. I would NEVER own a cadillac again EVER!

Favorite Features

The Bose Stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Recall this vehicle!!!

Stay away from GM Products
By please buy my catera

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Consumers Reports has described this as a car as one to avoid. And now the subsequent CTS model is beginning to show the same reliability shortcomings. I've owned Honda and Toyotas in the past, and the difference in reliability is a stark contrast. Unless you have unlimited funds and patience, I'd suggest you avoid this car at all cost. This car is a perfect example of why GM is on the verge of bankrupcy, and why it's best that the American taxpayer should not be responsible for bailing them out!

Favorite Features

The cruise control design is the best I've used.

Suggested Improvements

Give Toyota or Honda the taxpayer bailout funds so they can buy GM, fire the management and union, and introduce quality/cost control and improve product reliability!

German piece of...
By German piece of....

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've always liked the body style and actually fell in love. This car changed my driving habits (I actually became more patient and more aware of other drivers) but it didn't last long. I only got to enjoy my Catera for a year. After I bought it is when I found out is worthless. To this day I'm still paying on it but can't drive it. Overheated five days after I bought it (dealership paid for repair) transmission was slipping, engine started knocking, A/C quit, low gear would kick in automatically while stopped, and first battery died all of sudden for no reason.

Favorite Features

Approx. 35 mpg on highway. I nearly drove for six hours on one tank of gas. The radio steering wheel controls were beyond convenience. Memory seats added a nice touch, actually the interior was supreme.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. Take your frustration out on this car (the ones that are inoperable) since then I've broken panels, pulled out the factory radio, factory amps, factory harnesses. I'm about to pull out the steering wheel, front seats, the supercharger and anything else I can pull off the motor.

Great Ride! I just purchased another
By Kevin like the Caddy

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have 1998 Catera which was purchased with 74k miles and has preformed flawlessly for 31k (I enjoy this car so much I purchased a 2001 also). All normal maintenance has been preformed by an independent shop (I have never been to a dealer). My mechanic is a trusted professional that checks the Cadillac service bulletins and keeps it on the factory service schedule. He also checks the built in diagnostic tools by connecting a little computer to the car. This seems to be the most important item done to the car. The Catera's operating costs are less than my previous car, a brand new 05'Subaru STi, my same mechanic preformed service w/ warranty items to dealer.

Favorite Features

Low, Low used price and no @#*% car loan!! You can not find a better equipped car for the going prices (and lots of safety items) Ride is better than an Audi A6. 29 mpg hi-way, and fast! I love the radio controls on the steering wheel and the 3 built in garage remotes on the rear view mirror.

Suggested Improvements

The car is great out of the box - find a qualified mechanic with the proper tools. My wish list item would have to be a 6-speed manual! Would make a killer driver/track car easily crushing the import "tuners" class. A used Catera compares with the Audi & BMW class of car for the price of a Neon.