Used 1998 Cadillac Catera Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )

Don't get this even if its free!!!
By tallbragg

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I currently own this car. It was given to us after my parents bought it for $3000 from someone in 1 1/2 ago with 52000 miles on it. They replaced the $500 water pump within a month. Everything seemed fine, so they dumped it on us. Two months later $1600 to replace engine seals. Lights were staying on and wore down the battery, new tires because they wear on inside (belts were completely showing even though outside of tire had plenty of tread), sunroof stopped working, heated seats stopped, transmission issues, trunk lock, door locks stick... It now has 60,000 with very moderate driving. The money, time, and stress of this car is not worth it.

Caterror!
By dasmaedchen

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

This has been the worst car I've ever owned. I bought it two years ago when I needed a car badly. I'd read a couple poor reviews but was persuaded to at least come look at the car. It looked brand new, had low mileage, and a nice price. I now know that the reason it looked brand new and had low mileage is probably because it was parked, broken, more than actually driven. It is pure garbage. It has had a coolant leak since shortly after I bought it. I have taken it to several different places including a dealership and nobody has been able to stop the leak. This among the many other things wrong with it. It would also randomly refuse to start and then 30 minutes later would start.

Favorite Features

It has a nice Bose stereo, and is nice to look at. Unfortunately, that is pretty much all you'll be able to do...look at it and sit in it listening to music. Other than those things, there is nothing good about the car. Parts are hard to find, mechanics willing to work on it even harder. I will only see my favorite feature of the car after I sell it: the taillights in the distance as it drives away forever.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of for the Cadillac Catera is to find every single one ever made, gather them up, and deposit them at the junkyard. If you see one, turn around and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. It is cheaply made, the speaker covers randomly falls off, the door handle randomly falls off, THE BACK OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT randomly falls off. The heated seats give off a smell that suggests the car could go up in flames at any time. The door is poorly constructed and there have been many times I feared my driver's side door would simply fall off into a random parking lot.

WORST CAR EVER MADE!!!
By GNico09

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

Alright, Ever since I was in highschool, I loved this car. Finally found one and have spent more than I purchased it for ($4,500) on repairs. Its an electrical and mechanical nightmare. The engine is basically shot (needs new heads) Body control module (brain of the car) is shot, control arms are shot, differential is shot. Misc. electric options cease to work. The a/c barely works and the heater doesnt work at all even though ive spent hundreds of dollars trying to remedy it. Its over-heating and low oil pressure (more than likely b/c of the heads). And all that is just to name a little!! The sad part is I bought the car certified and have pampered this car with no love in return.

Favorite Features

Design, handling in snow, and thats about it. Everything I once loved has been over-shadowed by all the things that have gone wrong with it

Suggested Improvements

Do not contract a company like Opel to build your cars Cadillac, maybe if it was kept in America, It might not have all the electric and mechanical problems it does. Everything on this car is electronic controlled. And when something goes out, you sure know it in a hurry

Absolutely the Worst Car Ever
By olive

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

i bought this car in May of 2008 with 114,000 miles. First day i got the car, drove to someone's house, go to leave, car wouldn't start. Needed new starter, $334.Within a 11 months... rear main seal, $700. New battery, $100, new alternator $400. Cylinder missfire, $910. Speedometer and odometer went out. Power steering went out. Everytime i braked, steering wheel would jerk and pull car all over the road. Sometimes couldn't pull key out of ignition, have to keep shifting till it came out. Slow coolant leak. finally car would start again, engine problems. just parts estimated $1500. im junking the car. The list goes on. Do you need any more of a reason to NOT buy this car?

Favorite Features

umm...the worn leather seats were pretty comfortable. .. thats about it.

Turns on a Dime
By Kelly

1998 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my parents with 105,000 miles on it. It has been fun to drive. The major problem has been with oil leaking. I found a good mechanic who likes to work on this one. He said the engine is a really good one. It is so quiet and smooth you can hardly tell it is running when in idle at a stop light. I am selling for a newer 4x4 but will always like this car. I know it doesn't get the best reviews, but there are alot of nice features about this car. It is heavy and you feel safe and secure in it.

Favorite Features

especially like the interior/exterior temperature guage and the heated seats. The traction control is good too.

Suggested Improvements

oil leaking problems seem to recur with this model. Its cheaper to add oil than to repair. Keep a cloth under the car when you park it.