Must have got the one diamond amongst the broken glass.
By jlblack on
1997 Cadillac Catera 4dr Sedan
While everybody else hates this car, I love it! I bought last year for $2000. I immediately had to buy a new radiator for it for $200 that I installed. I was quoted up to $750 for one, so call around when buying parts. I abuse this car! The sport button is on half the time, I take corners at above twice the recommended speed. This car is glued to the road. It sails at 90 mph with no problem. If you can work on cars yourself and want cheap luxury then this is the car for you. For what I paid for it if a major repair comes up then its off to the junk yard, but until then, get out of my way! You can buy a Haynes repair manual for an Opel Omega from the UK. Same car. I did.
Favorite Features
Love the sport button. Almost makes me forget how great stick shifts are. The 10 speaker Bose stereo is incredible. The memory driver seat/mirror with 3 presettable positions is good too. Just hold the button down and the seat and all mirrors go back to the way you like them. Good trunk for the overall size of the car. Traction control off button on the dash. Like the auto turn on headlights and the rear view mirror that automatically dims once for night time and dims further when bright lights are behind you. Good loud horn. Rear wheel drive is good. Love the front/rear weight dist. Great suspension.
Suggested Improvements
Deeper dashboard for aftermarket stereo. New CD deck sticks out about an inch. Also had to spend $129 for a Bose adapter module for the amp/speakers. Don't like the traction control method. My last car's worked by applying the brake to the slipping wheel, where this retards the engine power. Permanent cup holders. Also, the passenger door could not be unlocked if you tried to open it while it was locked. Sticky mechanism in the latch assembly. Had to take the door apart and relubricate. Now its fine. Low brakepad light comes on sporratically, esp. when weather's cold. Too much plastic under the hood. The old radiator water inlet tore like a styrofoam cup it was so worn.