Used 1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Cadillac Catera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (67 reviews )

NoCTS4ME
By NoCTS4ME

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Spent more time in the dealership garage than mine. Constant problems - 2 engine oil coolers(within 3 weeks of each other)tail lights & headlight repacements(lost count),squealing brakes, brake light switch, key stuck in ignition, NUMEROUS electrical problems. Fun to drive but most of time spent on road was behind a tow truck! Can't give away the worst car I ever owned. NO RESALE VALUE.Just traded UP to an ALTIMA. No CTS for me.

Favorite Features

It had all the creature comforts that made sitting in it a joy. Unfortunately, thats about all you could do with the car.

Suggested Improvements

Both dealership and Cadillac reps are unaware of the definiton of customer service and service recovery. Will NEVER consider purchasing another Cadillac as a result this poor product and after purchase treatment by the dealer and the company.

Nice Car !!!
By robappraiser

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

i've had my Catera for about 8 months and love it. I have back problems and I find the car VERY comfortable. People are always asking what kind of car it is, everyone loves it. It's got style, class and all in a car that is not too big but extremely comfortable for even five adults.

Favorite Features

Sport transmission. Heated seats.

Great Catera
By Dorothy

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Had planned on replacing my Catera with the new CTS until I saw the CTS, then decided to keep the Catera. We like the exterior lines of the Catera much better than the CTS and we are completely satisfied with everyting about it, so concluded we had no reason to update.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, exterior lines.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to have had a single CD players in addtion to my 12 disk trunk changer.

glassjaw
By rainman

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

It has had nearly all of the interior plastic knobs and parts replaced. Brake job at 23k mi. Door lock on driver side easily gets out of sync and freezes. Leaks oil currently. I have had it at the dealership just about every 3000mi for an oil change and something else that has gone wrong. But it was usu. under the extendend warr. With all of this I still love the car.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks even standing still and a very fun car to drive. The rear wheel drive and the 200hp work well. 12 cd changer in trunk is great for road trips.

Suggested Improvements

The dash area around the controls and radio gets very hot and I think contributes to the plastic knob problem.

So far SO GOOD!!
By ExtraHorizon

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have shopped for a used car for several weeks- and it's not fun. There wasn't much out there that fit my requirements- Under 9K, low mileage, fun to drive but space for kids... I drove a beat up Catera first, and it drove like a dream! Corners excellent, and the sport transmission is fun and zippy. I started looking for a Catera in nice shape, and ended up with one in PERFECT condition. Seats look like new, every option, etc. The back seat has air vents and heated seats for the kids, the back seats fold down into the roomy trunk. I am having an absolute blast blowing away people on the interstate- hope I don't get a ticket soon.

Favorite Features

Leather, bose stereo, sport transmission, smooth steering.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders are a pain...