1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (67 reviews )
LLLLLLLLLLLemon
By phy on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Waste of money big time. Last 8 months I spent $13,500 for repairs. Total time the car spent in the dealership- 71 days. Final result- I have a car with non-working transmission (after 3 transmission repairs in Cadillac of Las Vegas and total cost for them about $3,000) staying in my garage. I am tired of all this.

WORST CAR EVER BUILT
By Nestornajwa on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased new as a leftover in 4/98 -- now I know why it didn't sell. Worst car I ever drove. Nothing but problems. Leaks, lights blinking for no reason, broken sensors, broken door locks, broken trunk locks, hoses, ignition, etc. coupled with truly TERRIBLE, indifferent service by Lindsay Cadillac in Virginia -- all of which made for a miserable owenership experience. This is why Cadillac will not exist in 10 years. Also: poor storage space, limited options on stereo system (corrected in later models), poor rear visibility.

Cadillac Catera
By ronjc on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a dealer demo with 5000 miles on it. The dealer delivered the car in mint condition even repairing small dings on the doors. I have not had any major problems with the car. I drove the car in excess of 20,000 miles a year and found the experience to be wonderful. The timing belt went out after the suggested 60,000 miles and was a covered item under my extended warranty. The dealer was great and took care of me and the car with uptmost service. The car has 80,000 miles on it and I have not had any other major problems with it.

Great car, but lots of problems
By hoosierdaddy on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was excited when I purchased the Cadillac that "Zigged when other cars Zagged", but the car has spent so much time in the shop I haven't done much Zigging or Zagging. I've gone through two alternaters (They say I'm hard on them...I guess that running the A/C and CD player at the same time is a no-no), two stes of brake pads, a new fuel pump, and a number of minor problems in my three years of ownership. This wouldn't be too terrible if each repair wasn't so incredibly expensive. This is my second Caddy, and definitely my last.

Happy Catera Owner
By morourke on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

A good German built Opel nicely dressed and rebadged as a Cadillac. It has very comfortable front and rear seats. Many good standard features: autolevel suspension, traction control, 4 wheel disc / antilock brakes, memory seats and mirrors, fold down rear seats or center (40/20/40), autolights, all windows auto up and down. I think this car is undervalued in the US market.

Cateras are underrated
By D. Green on 03/15/02 01:28 AM (PST)

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a private party. It had been in two hard wrecks-one at 7500 mi. and another at 14,900 mi. Idiots with improper equipment tried to fix car after first wreck. After second wreck, they thankfully did not try to "fix" it again. The body shop I ended up choosing to do the restoration did a wonderful job. We had to undo much of the so-called repairs that idiots did to the car after the first wreck. I used all Cadillac parts in restoration. My point is: after all this car has been through, it must be a really solid vehicle to have turned out so well. Well, my wife has latched on to it and drives it all the time. I guess we'll keep it.

Ready for the trash heap
By no more caddies on 03/08/02 21:57 PM (PST)

1997 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Don't waste your time and money purchasing a 1997 Catera. I bought one new and have had nothing but trouble--engine trouble and even trouble with the doors. You don't have time to read the list of problems this car has had. What a colossal waste of $33,000!!!