Used 1990 Cadillac Brougham Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Cadillac Brougham Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Brougham model:

4th Cadillac
By DeeJay

1990 Cadillac Brougham Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my late neighbor's daughter. I had owned a 1989 Brougham since new and drove it 269,000 in 18 years. Even though my 1990 had the same drivetrain (ie: 307) as my 1989, this one had more responsive power. I got much better mileage. I had class 2 hitches (3500 lbs) on both. Velour interior.The previous owner had a $3500 K7000 Transmission job done at 30,500 miles in Nov 1993! He also had the F gear and pinion bearings replaced at 62,000 miles in April, 1997. The ECM went at 80,000 in May, 1999. I bought the car from the estate in 2008 with 92,000 miles.

All of them

Larger transmission coolers, 4 core radiators. Bring back carburetors

Even Stretched
By LimoMan

1990 Cadillac Brougham Sedan 4dr Sedan

I actually have a limousine version of this car, which I used as my daily driver for a year and a half. Even with the extra 5 foot stretch on the body it still manages to move itself well with the 5.7 liter engine. Accelerating quick around corners and out of stop lights is mighty fun when you're longer than even the biggest SUVs around! Adding custom stereo equipment was easy (including running wires to the trunk and access under the dashboard). Even though the car is in great shape, lots of repairs have accumulated over the years including water pump, steering pump, fuel tank, hubcaps (they started to squeak and chop up the valve stems), and rear axle (blame that on the extra limo weight).

It's a big smooth ride. The square styling you just can't get any more, and the grille looks like it will eat you and wash you down with a martini. It has room to hide upgrades (my two amps fit into one rear quarter panel with no modification of the trunk liner... there's a lot of space in there!)

Fuel economy is horrible (especially when the car is stretched!). Front seat belts are mounted on the door, which isn't safe when the door crumples during a crash. Forget about airbags. Keep it rust-protected and rust won't be an issue.

All American Cadillac
By Garry

1990 Cadillac Brougham Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased it used and have enjoyed it from day one. It's very smooth and comfortable even at 17 years old. The only major repair that I had to make was the conversion of the A/C to R134. It is tough on gasoline, but my car payment is $0, so who cares. It's built like a tank, rides like silk and feels safe as a house. Say what you will, I'd buy this boat over a Honda/Toyota twice over. This one is still "The Standard of the World".

The smooth ride, competent handling for its size, feeling of bigness and mass without bulk.

It needs a larger engine like the old days of Cadillac.

Best of All....
By Don Vito

1990 Cadillac Brougham Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just purchased my first Fleetwood Brougham. It has the 5.0 liter. Even for a 16 year old car the quaulity is definitely there. I checked the gas mileage already and its 25.6 overall. No complaints there. It has huge cargo capacity as well. Who needs an SUV?! This was in the top five safest vehicles built on the planet in 1990 behind Volvo. Its quality and craftmanship is unequaled. Everything works even after 16 years, even the power antenna. I am very satisfied! Other drivers don't argue with you in traffic either.

The ease of accessability to all features. This car's horsepower is adequate with quite acceptable gas mileage. Its durability, safety, and ride are great. Cadillac should have never stopped making them. If GM stopped half the SUV lines and went back to full size cars like this one they would be better off.

None

Cadillac - The American Standard
By Caddy Boy

1990 Cadillac Brougham Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am 17, since I was about 7 this car has always been in my mind, as a car I want to drive! After owning a Lincoln Town Car, I saw this car on the lot, and I had to have it. Mechaically it its a dream. Gas consumption...well that's a differnt story. But the style and beauty make up for it. It starts up every morning. It needs basic work. Mine has low miles at 83,000, but they are supposed to last.

The factory CD player and wire wheels. The Velour instead of leather. The advanced options for its time. The safety, and the looks it gets.

For them to come standard with the 5.7L engine, and better rust prevention, mine has none, but I see alot on others that have it around the door handels and such.