Excellent First Effort by Cadillac!!!
By oshkosh49 on
2013 Cadillac ATS Luxury 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
I've had this car for a few weeks. And it's everything I was hoping it would be, and more. I've been reading for the past 30 years in Car & Driver and Motor Trend about how great the driving experience of the BMW 3-Series was. During all of that time I was hoping like crazy that either Cadillac or Lincoln would develop and produce a direct competitor to the German entry level sport sedans. Lincoln hasn't yet, Cadillac finally did. Kudos to GM for not dropping the development of this model during their bankruptcy. The ATS's handling and steering feedback is just amazing. The ride is what you SHOULD expect from a compact sport sedan. Hey, it's not your Grandpa's land yacht!!!
Favorite Features
The handling and the steering feedback is world class. The AWD is great for the northern climates. The exterior and interior styling is very cool. The acceleration is far more than adequate with the 3.6L V6. The braking is strong and secure, and easy to modulate. The CUE is a definite learning curve, but what brand new touchpad tablet computer wasn't? And for 2013, Cadillac gives you an Apple iPad with the tutorials and videos to teach you about the CUE. The backup camera is a safety feature worth it's weight in gold. The "Driver Awareness Package" and the "Cold Weather Package" are wonderful. The optional "Thunder Gray Chromaflair" paint color is beautiful.
Suggested Improvements
Drop the noisey, raspy, and underpowered 2.5L 4 cylinder from the ATS's lineup. I know why Cadillac slipped it into their engine option list. Because of the new future U.S. Government CAFE fuel economy standards for 2016 of 35.5 mpg, that's why. The 2.0L Turbo 4 cylinder should suffice quite nicely as the entry level engine option. I'm sure GM is currently working on a 8-speed automatic to compete more directly the other brands that already have it. But like I stated, an excellent first effort by Cadillac. I love my AWD 3.6L ATS!