1993 Cadillac Allante Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Cadillac Allante - Consumer Reviews

1993 Allante Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Hot Rod Cadillac - The Northstar Allante was the 1st Cadillac V Model
By gep10

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

I was looking for a more comfortable weekend getaway car to replace my 1966 Corvette roadster. I bought a low mileage 1993 Northstar Florida car with a hardtop. This car is fun to drive!! It handles very well, has a comfortable ride and seats, accelerates with authority (matches a 1973 454 Corvette in the quarter mile and has a higher top speed -144 MPH) and gets decent fuel economy (24 -25 MPG highway). The exhaust note is subdued at part throttle and throaty when you get on it. The 295 HP DOHC V8 is torquey and revs aggressively to its 6500 RPM shift points. The trunk is huge, there's a large interior storage area, fine leather, power everything and a nice sounding audio system.

Favorite Features

Well balanced handling, responsive steering, quick acceleration, the Northstar engine is a gem (basic engine is still in production), the classy and classic Pininfarina design still looks contemporary, sweet sounding, baritone exhaust note (not like your father's Cadillac), large storage area behind the front seats, mid-size car like 15 ft3 carpeted trunk, very comfortable seats, luxurious interior, good gas mileage, surprisingly low price, quiet interior (with the hardtop on), well controlled, comfortable ride, foglamps work well, quality speakers, high revving engine (6700 RPM redline), 2nd looks by SL/XJS/Cadillac drivers, puts a smile on my face every time I push it on a winding road.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control wasn't world class in 1993, lots of squeaks with the hardtop on, fussy convertible top latching system, brakes could be stronger, dated IP design

new owner of 93 nstar
By cobalt23

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

Just joined in on the fun with everyone. Please will some one out there take moment to console me on HOW to properly work the convert top, at the moment I fold down I hear this horrible click noise that drives you crazy and the back rim bar gets stuck on the rear hook ? I think I need to fold top up close together before I drop down Help Thanks to all, otherwise just love my PININ

1993 Allante' It's like a bad drug!
By chargalant

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

Have had mine since Jan/2001. I knew the 93 was special w/the Northstar system. It has always been a pleasure to drive...and I drive hard and agressive and the car takes it all and askes for more. Power, handeling matches a Corvette. Styling is and always will be timeless, thanks to Pinnin Farina. I am amazed how cheaply they're selling for these days. As much of a headache this car is, I'd have seller's remorse if I got rid of it. But the cost & frequency of repair has exceeded the amount I paid for this car. Quirks abound! Yet this car will get very collectible at some point. Just don't know when. But it's a Caddy w/Italian styling, power and it IS a roadster!

Favorite Features

Timeless styling. Power & performance. The amount of room for a 2-seater.

Suggested Improvements

CD player. Cheap leather seat covers. Cruise control on turn signal lever. A power top would be nice, but you don't have to be rocket scientist to work the existing top....too many complainers on that.

Oh how I love this car!
By Nancy Jazwa

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

I ordered a brand new black 1990 and loved it! thought I would order a 1994 but when I learned "93" would be the last year I ordered the "Pearl Red" just like the Indy Pace car. I am a female that is a car nut. I wash my cars by hand and do excellent preventative maintenance on them. I have a second car for the last 10 years which has saved mileage on my "93". I have virtually no problems except the CD player no longer plays and a problem when I lock it from the inside passenger door upon re-entry with the key the alarm goes off so I get out and lock it and unlock using the key.

Favorite Features

Sound of the exhaust and the quiet North Star engine power and response. Excellent digital dash and great instrument placement.

Suggested Improvements

I feel as the top gets older it is harder to lift and also to fold down. Wish it had a fully operational convertible top.

My Favorite Thing
By John Edwards

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

It is like a magic carpet ride. Performance is more than adequate and you will get many positive comments about its styling. With the current depressed pricing for this car, it is an excellent value for an occasionally used second or third car.

Favorite Features

I love the styling and the comfort of the seats.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have storage pockets and the cupholders are not the best.

1993 Cadillac Allante
By Dan III

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

The 1993 Allante is the finest car Cadillac has ever built. It is too bad they didn't keep the line going. The XLR is a nice care, but doesn't compare to the Allante. Cadillac build some prototypes of the 1994, which had a fully powered metal roof, similar to the XLR. The quality of the interior and the exterior is unmatched by "normal" American cars. The only negative for the car is the semi-manual convertible top, however if you put it up and down a lot, it gets simpler and easier. I have been asked several times while stopped at traffic lights- what is it and how much do I want for it. It is a real head turner.

Favorite Features

The electronic transmission is a smooth as it gets. The car is awesome. With the top down, you can carry on a conversation with ease. I wish I had the room for another for my wife.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement they could have made would be to simplify the controls by eliminating some of the buttons,especially related to the radio and CD player.

Extremely Comfortable Road Car
By babylac89

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

When I first bought my Allante from the original owner it was strictly for the beauty. Cadillac has one of the best Pearl White paints on any vehicle. I was absolutely surprised at how smooth it was over the previous Allante's without the 295HP Northstar engine. The handling and the performance is unmatched. It's truly ashamed that just when Cadilac finally got it right, the Allante was done. I personally see it as a world class automobile, like the Mercedes SL and anything from Lexus or Infinity. Given more time, and with the Northstar engine, the Allante would have found it's true audience! But I am seriouly happy to own this piece of automotive history!

Favorite Features

295 HP Northstar engine, Ride Control suspension handling, supple leather interior seats that make you feel like you're in a full-size Cadillac. Diamomond White Pearl paint job. Superior highway manners and passing gear. People love this car when they see it!

Suggested Improvements

The fuel economy could have been better. For the amount of money that this car sold for brand new, it should have had a fully automatic covertible top. Getting the top up and down is still a chore I don't cherish.

Allantes after 15 years
By Bill

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

I read all the reviews on these cars and don't understand why the wrong people buy them. These cars are in the same price range as the 500SL class and are not treated like them. The SL's are stored in heated garages and treated to the best of care by very high priced service personnel. Allante owners seem to want to treat these beautiful cars as a daily driver and neglect the proper service and care. If you think it is expensive to have the Northstar worked on check what the repairs cost on the 560SL. I now have my 4th Allante and will have 1 more if I can find one of the 1993 yellow ones. Best buy for the money anywhere.

Favorite Features

Plenty of power.Great trunk.Good ride. Unusual and beautiful car.

Suggested Improvements

Tops are difficult for ladies.93 models are nearly perfect. They finally got it right and then quit. Big mistake

Classic look, but impractical. BEWARE!
By goguidogo

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

I hear that new parts for the Cadillac Allante body are out of production, and no plans are being made to produce more since so few Allantes were ever manufactured. If you buy an Allante and have any trouble with it in a wreck or with normal use, you may be out of luck when it comes to finding replacement parts for the body. The Allante is a classic beauty, but it was not a well-thought-out car. It is very impractical, and the interior pieces are of cheap plastic that do not withstand wear. The '93 Allante is the best one to own. Great power/performance! GM put the right powertrain and transaxle in it,but the car is overly-complicated and the computer systems are not reliable.

Favorite Features

32 valve Northstar V8 power, great handling and control, classic,timeless beauty that rivals the 1990-1998 Merc- Benz 500SL and the 1950's and 1960's Merc-Benz convertibles.

Suggested Improvements

Cadillac should have better planned this car and built more of them. Its electronic control systems are highly advanced for its year of production, but they were untested and unreliable when the car left the factory. The interior,while attractive,is comprised of cheap parts that do not wear well.

15 year old rocket!
By roadrunner

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

This is my third allante. Owned a 93 in 94 and ex got that one. Then a 91 and finally again a 93. This is the only one to own if you enjoy performance. Earlier years were somewhat more reliable, but puny in performance. With nearly 300 horses at your command, you will surprise just about anyone thinking they can beat you. But, even better, is that this car was the flagship of Cadillac in 93 and earlier years. Body by PinaFarina of Italy and drive train from an Eldorado. It still has features that most cars don't and can stand up to just about anything you put up against it off the line. But, the Northstar engine has a number of issues that could cost you a bundle. Good ones are gre

Favorite Features

Performance, comfort, style, classic look and unfamiliar to most who see it. it will always turn heads.

Suggested Improvements

Unlike most Allante owners I guess, I don't mind the manual top. Just one less thing to go wrong. A lined convertible roof would have made the car much quieter and more dependable stereo electronics would make a big difference too. They all seem to have CD player problems.