Used 1993 Cadillac Allante Base Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Cadillac Allante - Consumer Reviews

1993 Cadillac Allante

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

I liked my '91 Allante so much I bought a '93
By Don

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

I have owned an Allante since 1991. I loved my '91 Allante, but wanted the more comfortable seats and Northstar engine in the '93. I am glad I bought the '93 and feel happy every time I drive it. I am tall and the car is one of the few two-seat convertibles that actually fits and is comfortable.
The car is a delight to drive on long trips and is very fast and stable. It is a great touring car. I am very strict about following Cadillac's recommend maintenance schedule and change the brake fluid, oil and anti-freeze as recommended in the manual. Other than a few minor maintenance items (replace the CD player, radio power antenna, trunk pull-down motor and replacing the two small convertible boot cover struts, the car has required no major maintenance. The car is a classic, understated beauty that continues to get many compliments, even though it now is almost 24 years old. The paint still looks like new and the leather is soft and free of cracks. I am impressed with how well the car has held up. I have several other old and antique cars that I drive, but the Allante remains my favorite. Other than initially learning how to open and close the convertible top, the car is very straight forward to operate. I read a lot of complaints about the convertible top, but I have never found it to be a problem. Just follow the directions in the owner's manual and it works as advertised. A power top would have been nice, but it was not offered. I love the Northstar engine. It has lots of torque and power. The engine pulls hard up to redline and sounds great. I can think of nothing that I do not like about the Allante. Most needed parts are readily available from Dick Hussey at Allante Source in Florida. Dick knows everything about Allantes and is always helpful. He is a great guy to deal with. The '93 Allante is a wonderful car and I intend to keep it as long as I can drive. I believe the allante will be a very collectible car in a few years and people will be sorry they did not buy one when they could get it at a good price.

Hot Rod Cadillac - The Northstar Allante was the 1st Cadillac V Model
By gep10

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

I was looking for a more comfortable weekend getaway car to replace my 1966 Corvette roadster. I bought a low mileage 1993 Northstar Florida car with a hardtop.

This car is fun to drive!! It handles very well, has a comfortable ride and seats, accelerates with authority (matches a 1973 454 Corvette in the quarter mile and has a higher top speed -144 MPH) and gets decent fuel economy (24 -25 MPG highway). The exhaust note is subdued at part throttle and throaty when you get on it. The 295 HP DOHC V8 is torquey and revs aggressively to its 6500 RPM shift points. The trunk is huge, there's a large interior storage area, fine leather, power everything and a nice sounding audio system.

Well balanced handling, responsive steering, quick acceleration, the Northstar engine is a gem (basic engine is still in production), the classy and classic Pininfarina design still looks contemporary, sweet sounding, baritone exhaust note (not like your father's Cadillac), large storage area behind the front seats, mid-size car like 15 ft3 carpeted trunk, very comfortable seats, luxurious interior, good gas mileage, surprisingly low price, quiet interior (with the hardtop on), well controlled, comfortable ride, foglamps work well, quality speakers, high revving engine (6700 RPM redline), 2nd looks by SL/XJS/Cadillac drivers, puts a smile on my face every time I push it on a winding road.

Quality control wasn't world class in 1993, lots of squeaks with the hardtop on, fussy convertible top latching system, brakes could be stronger, dated IP design

new owner of 93 nstar
By cobalt23

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

Just joined in on the fun with everyone. Please will some one out there take moment to console me on HOW to properly work the convert top, at the moment I fold down I hear this horrible click noise that drives you crazy and the back rim bar gets stuck on the rear hook ? I think I need to fold top up close together before I drop down Help Thanks to all, otherwise just love my PININ

1993 Allante' It's like a bad drug!
By chargalant

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

Have had mine since Jan/2001.

I knew the 93 was special w/the Northstar system.

It has always been a pleasure to drive...and I drive hard and agressive and the car takes it all and askes for more. Power, handeling matches a Corvette. Styling is and always will be timeless, thanks to Pinnin Farina.

I am amazed how cheaply they're selling for these days. As much of a headache this car is, I'd have seller's remorse if I got rid of it. But the cost & frequency of repair has exceeded the amount I paid for this car. Quirks abound!

Yet this car will get very collectible at some point. Just don't know when. But it's a Caddy w/Italian styling, power and it IS a roadster!

Timeless styling. Power & performance. The amount of room for a 2-seater.

CD player. Cheap leather seat covers. Cruise control on turn signal lever. A power top would be nice, but you don't have to be rocket scientist to work the existing top....too many complainers on that.

Oh how I love this car!
By Nancy Jazwa

1993 Cadillac Allante 2dr Convertible

I ordered a brand new black 1990 and loved it! thought I would order a 1994 but when I learned "93" would be the last year I ordered the "Pearl Red" just like the Indy Pace car. I am a female that is a car nut. I wash my cars by hand and do excellent preventative maintenance on them. I have a second car for the last 10 years which has saved mileage on my "93". I have virtually no problems except the CD player no longer plays and a problem when I lock it from the inside passenger door upon re-entry with the key the alarm goes off so I get out and lock it and unlock using the key.

Sound of the exhaust and the quiet North Star engine power and response. Excellent digital dash and great instrument placement.

I feel as the top gets older it is harder to lift and also to fold down. Wish it had a fully operational convertible top.