2012 Buick Verano Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Buick Verano - Consumer Reviews

2012 Verano Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Verano model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice daily driver
By creaseys

2012 Buick Verano 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Verano base with 11k to drive back and forth to work and I must say I have been very pleased. First, the front seats have tons of room, which is hard to find for someone my size. I am about 6'2'' and weigh 400lbs and I have plenty of room with the only exception being the floorboard area not having much extra space for my feet. I have noticed some reviews saying they get poor gas mileage and I con't see how thats possible. I am averaging 29.9 mpg with about 25% city driving and I am what you would call a "lead footed" driver. Plus my weight doesn't help gas mileage at all and I have been able to average 32.5 mpg driving on country roads.

Favorite Features

The exterior appearance, fuel mileage, upscale interior, loaded with gadgets, unbelievable air conditioning, solid build, quiet for a small car, great high beams, handles good, surprising passing ability for a 4 banger.

Suggested Improvements

More foot room, larger trunk opening, higher aspect ratio tires (55 maybe) to reduce wheel bending risk on rough roads. I also don't like the buttons setup to control the menu in the center cluster.

Blown Away!
By cadilew

2012 Buick Verano 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I will confess I got into my Verano thanks to an almost unbelievable lease offer. Thought I'd use it as a second car for the price and limited mileage. Once I got behind the wheel and drove it for a few hundred miles I honestly felt deprived when I got behind the wheel of my Lexus LS 430! The Verano is quieter, smoother and has more features than cars costing many multiples of its price tag. Sold my Lexus and am driving the Verano on a daily basis now. Could not be happier! Already dreading the day my lease deal ends. Hopefully Buick will have another offer that comes close to what I currently have so I can stay behind the wheel of a Verano for another couple years...

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, XM radio with service included for the term of the lease, scheduled maintenance included, fold-down back seats, handsome wheels, quiet interior in beautiful Cashmere color, comfortable seats--shall I go on?

Suggested Improvements

Granted, I got the base model but I do miss having an auto-dimming mirror. Also, visibility to the rear while backing up is a bit of a challenge. I know parking sensors are available--but you must upgrade from the base model. For the price, however, these are niggling complaints....

defroster vent stays open
By larrylp

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Condensation builds up on the exterior front window when running the air conditioner. The dealer said this was because the defroster vent NEVER completley closes allowing cold air to exit. In certain temperature/humidity condensation forms. The windshield wiper must be run to allow visibility. Dealer states designed that way. No fix

Breaking It In
By jes421

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my beloved '08 Saturn Aura XR for a beautifully loaded Verano 1SL about a week ago & I am more than pleased. Today I took her out for a 481 mile daylong road trip that got me 33.3 MPG and that's just the beginning. The smoothness & quietness of the ride alone could take up another column. The 2.4L DOHC has not been lacking in power & has surprisingly proven itself more than capable both in city & on the hwy. This Verano is beautifully built inside & out from the flowing lines & curves of the body to the thoughtful comfort & design of the interior. Buick did this one right. I had originally wanted a LaCrosse & thought that the Verano would be a major step down. I was wrong.

Favorite Features

The remote start is a nice feature as is locking the doors by placing your thumb on the little square on the outside door handle. (As long as you have the key fob on you. Try it!) The touch screen & navigation is intuitive and the Bose 9-speaker sound system is incredible. The heated steering wheel has been used a couple of times already & the rear defroster activates when the car starts & it's 45* or colder outside. The interior is called Choccachino. I don't know what that is. But it works & I like it. Oh...and Thank You, SiriusXM. You make those long trips bearable. I can also check the weather/forecast of where I live or where I'm at at the moment.

Suggested Improvements

Towards the end of my road trip I was squirming in the driver's seat quite a bit trying to get comfortable. The front end needs to be able to lower to the floor as opposed to raising the back to make the seat level. By the time I got comfortable my head was touching the roof. I've read other reviews complaining about the lack of power with the 2.4L engine. I can honestly say that I've had no problem accelerating, merging or passing.

Love it so much im trading it in!!
By matheson1977

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Verano last year and now have 21,000 trouble free miles on it. I planed to keep it at least 8 yrs, that is until i found out about the turbo model for 2013..... Im just a sucker for more power!

Favorite Features

This is the first domestic car Ive owned since 1989. Started looking at them again after I had a falling out with Toyota over a absolute lemon of a Venza. This little buick drives more like a $50,000 Lexus, it's just so quiet and refined. Fuel economy seems to keep improving with age, I average 34mpg mixed. Overall the most comfortable car I've owned and an all around good performer.

Suggested Improvements

Wished for a bit more power and Buick delivered with the 260HP turbo version I ordered today.

Good bang for the buck
By iyaoyas

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Verano new on Leap Day and have since put over 17K miles on it. I commute over 100 miles a day, so I think I have a pretty good feel for what this car is all about. I have used every feature of car and used it a bunch. I will say that this car has the best seats Buick makes period! The fit and finish inside is as good as any higher brand and all buttons and controls are well placed. In over 17K miles I have had zero issues with the car. I average 30-34 MPG. For those that complain about a lack of power, not sure what your expecting. I do a lot of two lane passing and it has never left me wishing I had more power. This car is hands down the best bang for the buck!

Favorite Features

The seats and everthing else!

Suggested Improvements

Re-design the windshield so the rain water will run off.

Disappointment
By texas38

2012 Buick Verano Convenience Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car with high hopes that its looks would reflect its performance. I was and am still very disappointed. Within the first 1000 miles I started to notice that it was not only relucant to accelerate but struggling by jerking like the transmission is about to drop out of the car. The spoiler has broken off twice now and when I drive over anything but a smooth road the car rebels by sounding like the 96 saturn that I drive to work. To say its a rough ride is an understatement. Also the interior scratches very easy. Everyday I see new marks and we don't have small children nor any pets that ride in the car. Lastly, the seats are already bubbling up in the center making it look old.

Favorite Features

The exterior is a great look which is what drew me to purchase the car. The interior has a great look but again the seats are cheaply made in that they are showing signs of severe wear already. I like the 18 in sporty wheels and grill design.

Suggested Improvements

I am addressing all of the problems that I'm having with the Verano with the dealership where I purchased it in hopes of getting everything fixed. I ran out of characters above so I could not speak to the black exaust that is coming out of the tail pipe. My suggestion is for GM to analize all responses like mine and address the issues because this will determine if I will ever consider buying their line of vehicles again.

Definitely worth the money.
By newcarnow4

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have to say I was very much on the fence with this car. It was get a Toyota or go back to Buick. I've had two other Buicks in my lifetime. After researching on Edmunds and test driving I went with the Verano. So far I have been very pleased. This is an incredibly nice ride and the options you get for the money paid are amazing. Now the gas mileage seems average and the back room seat could be bigger, but this really is a lot of luxury for the price and I am happy in the end I got it. If you are undecided give it a test drive. Smooth ride and handling, adequate power, lots of bells and whistles put me over the top.

Favorite Features

This is a nicely styled car on the outside and in. I guess the styling of a car is really in the eye of the beholder, but this looks modern and classy. Also, the features you get on this car for the money are outstanding. The Intellilink is fantastic as is the leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

1) Better gas mileage. Compared to comparable models, it's really not all that bad. But even if the price of the car were to increase a little because of it, increased gas mileage would put this car in even greater demand. 2) More space in the back seat. A little more roominess built in the back seat would give 4 riders plenty of space.

Great car for the money
By fredh1

2012 Buick Verano Convenience Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've owned it for 6 mos. After I bought it, I learned that this is the best selling car in CHINA. So, GM's built likely a million of these things by now and I think they've got it down. No problems whatsoever so far, rare for a first year model. Likes: VERY quiet; smooth autostick tranny; fast enough for any legal driving; GREAT handling (tires on this small car are same size as my former 300C Special); OnStar (they do Everything!); fold down rear seats: comfort/interior appearance. Best integration of tech systems of all current Buick models. Dislikes: Short legroom reat seats (but OK in a pinch for 4 adults); needs full power on both front seats; cheap looking ext. fender seams.

Heads up -
By johnpac

2012 Buick Verano Leather Group 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Verano in April, 2012 - I really like the comfort, especially on long drives, and the styling compares with cars several thousands more expensive. However, I would warn you, it is a bit under-powered - not scary weak, but not quite as quick as, say, a Camry. Also, within 2 months I noticed black soot at the tailpipe. It's been looked at twice by the dealer's service mgr, who says he called GM about it, and there is little that can be done because it has to do with valve timing. I don't think this qualifies as a "LEMON"-type deficiency, but it is a disappointment. If you can live with cleaning the tailpipe every couple weeks, take a hard look at this car.

Favorite Features

Love the OnStar - I have inadvertantly hit the button twice, and the staff have been really nice both times; get the Sirius/XM - it makes long trips better; the interior styling has been a nice surprise - there are some open spots that catch dust, but the overall appearance is world-class

Suggested Improvements

Close some of the interior gaps - steering wheel, dash around the instrument cluster; fix the soot problem