Used 2005 Buick Terraza Minivan Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Buick Terraza Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Buick Terraza Minivan

View reviews for a specific Terraza model:

nickles and dimes my %*# hundreds and thousands
By Brand Hirsch

2005 Buick Terraza Minivan CXL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

In the past I have had good luck with Buick's. This is not the case with my Terraza. We bought it new in 2005. First 2 years were good, no repairs no problems. From the third year to present we have had nothing but problems. First problem luckily was still covered under warranty. The van kept dying on us or, would not start intermittently with, this issue we had it in the dealership 3 times and, once to a very good independent mechanic. first 2 times dealership replaced fuel pump, computer, multiple relays, and the computer a second time. We took it to the independent the third time he said he could find nothing wrong and, we need to take it back to the dealership since it was under warranty and, charged us a very minimal fee. The dealership replaced multiple parts. I DO HAVE TO COMMEND THEM as, there are clearly issues electrically and mechanically from the factory that are extremely difficult to solve. CV joint failure, big time suspension issues in the rear witch the dealership worked on three time the 3rd year, they never got it right, road like a buckboard for months. They finally got the rear suspension to feel like a 3/4 ton truck witch was a big improvement. constant traction control issues, stability, rotor,, rear dvd player, headlights, taillights, dash cracks ,broken door handles issues, trim falling off, doors not opening or closing, interior cracking breaking falling apart. My god man, I need to go back and change my review, until I started listing the issues I did not realize what a true P.O.S. this mini van really is, mechanically. I have been working on it myself for the last few years there is no way a person could justify shop rates for as many times it needs work. I am a pretty fair hand at fixing cars and, I'm here to tell you this thing is a nightmare. never, never, never, consider buying one, don't even take one as a gift you cant afford the repairs. With this being said, it is a very sharp mini van with good power and mileage. We loved everything about it I, bragged to my friends and family for the first 3 years. It could have been one of the favorite vehicle's that I had owned, if it had not turned into a unbelievably unreliable basket case. Great concept poor execution G.M.

THE BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED!
By Cheryl

2005 Buick Terraza Minivan CX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 5 mini vans and this is the 5th and last. It is so comfortable and seats 7! The kids can watch movies or hook their xbox up to it. It has 2 household plugs in it, a compressor with an air hose! No matter how much weight there is in it, it adjusts in the rear and it is never sagged down. I have folded the seats down and put a full size refrigerator in it. It sits up high like an SUV, but, I LOVE the sliding doors in parking lots and the garage. It is front wheel drive, but, goes through snow like a charm!

Most trouble prone car I've ever owned
By Mike I

2005 Buick Terraza Minivan CXL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying that I have owned some of the most unreliable makes on the road. Fiats, Alfas, Jaguars, etc. The Buicke Terraza, which we purchased new in 2005, has been the worst by far.

It now has 145k miles on it. I would have unloaded it years ago but after each expensive repair you think, "what else can go wrong?" The Terraza never fails to answer that question.

In the years since we have owned it, let's see.

It has had the transmission fail twice.

It has used about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles since it was new. GM says that is is within normal usage parameters. Hmm, I have had other vehicles with 300k on the odometer that use essentially nothing every 3k miles.

Have replaced every single suspension component, front and rear, at least once.

Front brake rotors are essentially an annual replacement. Dow not matter what brand rotor or pads, the rotors eventually warp.

Let's look at the components driven by the serpentine belt. Water pump, AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump. Yup, every one of those has been replaced.

All sorts of electrical issues almost since new.

CV axles. Yes. This as well.

Exhaust. Ok, that lasted a long time so not too bad.

Heater core leak. Been there, done that.

Leather cracking at front seats and arm rests. Yes, also a crack in the dash.

Steering rack. Yes. Last month as a matter of fact.

Engine mounts. If your Terraza has lots of noise and harshness, these arprobanpy shot.

I maintain all my vehicles extremely well and they tend to last a very long time. Frequent fluid changes, interior / exterior detailing, etc. Who knows what other problems this lemon would have if not maintained

It is reaonably quiet. Engine is harsh and could use a few more HP. Highway mileage is decent, around town about the same as my V8 SUV. Front seats are comfortable, rear seats have terrible leg room, third row is difficult to access. Front cup holders fall apart, few poor outlets poorly located.

Even though we now have a "new GM" my experience with the Terraza has left me saying, never again.

Typical Early 2000's GM Quality
By Noah

2005 Buick Terraza Minivan CX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the car my family bought used a few years ago, and I wish they had done research first. It is better than the '98 Venture we had, but not by much. I will address build quality first, and frankly the build quality is disappointing. Basically the whole interior is hard plastic (the dashboard of my grandmother's '96 Bonneville is softer), and there are noticeable gaps between many of the panels. There is padding on the upper door panels, but it is very minimal. Fortunately, we have not had problems with the power doors like other people have. We have, however, experienced the very common light flicker problem.

As for how this car drives, that is also not very good. Acceleration is terrible, possibly because of the 3500 engine vs. the weight of the vehicle. Getting up to highway speeds requires stomping on the gas pedal, and there is a noticeable delay between pressing the pedal and any acceleration. Potentially dangerous. As for steering, it's not bad, but you are sharply reprimanded by a high-pitched squeaking and resistance if you try to turn the wheel with the brake pedal fully applied. When going over a bump, the entire car rattles. It is extremely annoying.

Interior comfort isn't that bad. The third-row seats are kind of stiff, but I don't think they've ever really been used. All other seats are comfortable enough. However, like I mentioned before, padding on the front doors is minimal. Legroom in the second row is barely enough, and the funny thing is that the third row actually has more legroom than the second.

Other miscellaneous things include: somewhat sub-par gas mileage (about 17 mpg), the unimpressive CD player (randomly stops working), and visibility (hindered by full-size rear headrests and thick C-pillars).

Overall, the only thing this car really has going for it is seat comfort. The gray interior is very blah, driving dynamics are not good, and build quality is poor compared to some of the other GM cars of the time (the Lesabre, for example). But it's what we have, so I suppose I'll just have to deal with it.

Front End and Electrical Problems
By dinnages

2005 Buick Terraza Minivan CXL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Although we bought this vehicle second hand with just over 100k it has had front end and electrical issues constantly that no one can fix. The computer has had to be disconected to keep the brakes from coming on while driving, no one could figure this out and all related it to the computer. Front end problems, electrical problems that no one including GM can figure out. The vehicle is comfortable to drive, but the headaches have been more then enough. Stay away from this vehicle.

interior, comfort

get rid of vehicles with computers not only in this vehicle but all vehicles, go back to the basics when cars could easily be repaired.