1997 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Skylark - Consumer Reviews

1997 Skylark Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Skylark model:

Sort Reviews by

My parent's 97 skylark...
By kslaughter322

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Just got my permit in November, and love to drive this car. The controls are all easy to get to, It has a lot of power, very good handling, safe and smooth ride, but don't expect it to drive like a Caddy or Roadmaster. My parents made 2, 300 some mile trips from wv to ohio and had no issues to speak of. also, later on after I got my permit, we made a drive from oak hill, wv to Grantsville, MD, and 3 weeks later Oak Hill, WV to Severn MD and again, no problems to speak of. And the car has around 119,500 miles on it. Have had the car a little over a year and it is very reliable. When I turn 16, I want a Skylark as a first car.

Favorite Features

When we got the car, it has some issues with the quality luxury features. Ac was good, but went out after crank change. Tape player worked as well until Crank change. Power windows are weak, cruise is out on it, and window lock switch pops out. reverse is weak, was not when we got it, but is currently and turn signals went out, had to get new relay. Car runs awesome, but needs repairs we cannot afford so I would not know how well these features work when in order.

Suggested Improvements

remote unlock, better middle hub caps, they come off easily. and also easier to get to light relays

Best Quality and Reliable Car
By ml

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I have found this car needs very little maintenance and is made of great quality. Very reliable! The gas mileage is unbelievable for an older car.

Favorite Features

gas mileage and the comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

remote key lock.

Grandma's 97 Buick skylark
By Terry

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

My Buick Skylark has only 35,000 miles and was my grandmother's from 1997- 2003. After she died I got the car and it is a great little car in perfect shape and reliable--until now. The water pump went and I found out that it takes hours to get to the pump and it costs $$$--$750.00 to replace it-- and a gasket too. Why did Buick design an engine that would be so hard to get to a water pump. The mechanic suggested that as long as you are paying for the cost of labor to get to the water pump you should have several other somewhat related items fixed as well. I called the dealer to verify the extent in reaching the water pump and they verified this issue. Not good.

Favorite Features

Easy to park

Sweet car
By fatchuckyd

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Great fuel economy. Very fun to drive. Mine has a 2.4l twin cam. Very fast, it beat my friends 14,9 sec. focus with just an intake and muffler. Love it

Favorite Features

Motor and transmission. Solid ride

Suggested Improvements

Bumpy ride, suspension and a clutch would be nice. Sport it out a bit

Car to last
By Janet

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I got my 97 as a program car from a dealership, in 98. I had problems with the radiator and once the water pump. After these were taken care of the car has been reliable and trustworthy. No it is not a stylish car but it still has time to get to 100,000 and some paint is chipping and the windows are in tough shape(bad electrical windows!) I would buy another Buick in a heartbeat but with roll-down windows! Forgot to say...air conditioner just went on it and the knobs for the dash are hard to find when you replace them.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, trustworthy

Suggested Improvements

Window motors are worthless! Fixed and fixed still falling apart!

They just keep running...
By Tara

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

This is my second Skylark, my first was a 1991. These cars just never quit, my first was sent (running) to the junk yard with 179,000 miles and my 1997 is about to rollover 160,000. They both had their little mechanical quirks, but nothing too expensive and nothing out of the ordinary. They have never needed new transmissions or waterpumps. Even with the redesigned quad4, which was an initial worry... this car hasn't let me down. Buicks have made my life much easier:)

Favorite Features

Over all reliability and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, more trunk space, a more open design in the front seat.

Our 97 Skylark
By 1819suny

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle in 2003. We all really liked it. However, one year later in 2004 it needed a new water pump. Imagine my surprise when I was told that the cost to replace most water pumps was about $150.00 but because of the way they built this car (quad 4 engine, a very poor design), it would be $640.00! Not only that, but any future repairs would also be very expensive as you practically had to take the engine out to get at anything. Our car repair service would not even look at it because it was so expensive to repair. They told me I would have to take it to a dealer. Well, as much as I liked this little car, I sold it that day!

Suggested Improvements

My advice, if you find a 6 cylinder Skylark, it would probably make you happy and be resonable to repair but stay away from the 4 cylinders.

Good little Buick
By airbooster

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Good little car. Gave me a scare at the GM dealers when we thought the rattling noise was an oil pressure plunger 600 bucks but turned out it was low 1 quart of oil. Dodged the bullet there. Gas milage lousy for a 4 banger (20 city)

Favorite Features

everything EXCEPT (See Below)

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDER DESIGN SUCKS

My 97 Skylark
By Luv My Buick

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used in Oct 1997 with 12000 miles on it. Beside regular maintance and replacing the water pump at 50000 miles, my Buick has been trouble free. It now has 150,000 miles. It's a great car!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, great gas mileage, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

more rear space, bigger trunk, needs cupholders

Best Used Car I Ever Had
By choralcat

1997 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 in the Spring of '98. It 22,000 miles on it. Other than normal service and a new set of tires, I haven't needed a thing done to it. I bought the 70,000 mile 7 year protection plan and plan to keep it at least until the 7 years are up.

Favorite Features

Great motor. Really takes off.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable, more adjustable drivers seat. I use a cushion.