Used 1997 Buick Skylark Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Buick Skylark - Consumer Reviews

1997 Buick Skylark

View reviews for a specific Skylark model:

very satisfied.
By Cananopie

1997 Buick Skylark Custom 2dr Coupe

I bought my car Limited Edition skylark last April with 80,000 miles on it and I have been driving it a lot and nothing major has happened in 8 months except for recently the fuel pump broke, but it was over 100,000 miles on it. This car has amazed me with is performance and its reliability

Favorite Features

quick 6 cyl 3.1 L engine. People are often surprised at its performance. comfortable. sound system and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Heater is too small by feet. maybe a little bigger.

junk
By chris m

1997 Buick Skylark Custom 2dr Coupe

Lower control arm bushing (driver side) popped out while under warranty. Passenger side popped out after out of warranty-$130 for control arm loaded w/new bushings-I installed it. Ignition switch went bad- THEFT light was flashing and no start-$540 to tow and repair. Windshield wiper motor went out-$230 new motor installed. Driver side window popped out of the track at top of window-haven't fixed it yet. Alternator went out-$95 with exchange-I installed it.Remote trunk release cable snapped. Remote filler door seized up.On it's second set of rotors.This car had 33000 miles when i bought it in 2000. It now has 72000 on it, so it's not like it has a hard life.

Favorite Features

Motor and transmission are perfect(2.4L), The exhaust is the original and in good shape, Good fuel mileage even around town. NO RUST- this is a car that sits outside all the time.

Buick Junkbox Review
By AZA

1997 Buick Skylark Gran Sport 2dr Coupe

A real junkbox that in the last two years has required extensive repair and replacement of various suspension, mechanical, electrical and other parts. I will never own another Buick.

Suggested Improvements

a wrecking ball!

Best Quality and Reliable Car
By ml

1997 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan

I have found this car needs very little maintenance and is made of great quality. Very reliable! The gas mileage is unbelievable for an older car.

Favorite Features

gas mileage and the comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

remote key lock.

My parent's 97 skylark...
By kslaughter322

1997 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan

Just got my permit in November, and love to drive this car. The controls are all easy to get to, It has a lot of power, very good handling, safe and smooth ride, but don't expect it to drive like a Caddy or Roadmaster. My parents made 2, 300 some mile trips from wv to ohio and had no issues to speak of. also, later on after I got my permit, we made a drive from oak hill, wv to Grantsville, MD, and 3 weeks later Oak Hill, WV to Severn MD and again, no problems to speak of. And the car has around 119,500 miles on it. Have had the car a little over a year and it is very reliable. When I turn 16, I want a Skylark as a first car.

Favorite Features

When we got the car, it has some issues with the quality luxury features. Ac was good, but went out after crank change. Tape player worked as well until Crank change. Power windows are weak, cruise is out on it, and window lock switch pops out. reverse is weak, was not when we got it, but is currently and turn signals went out, had to get new relay. Car runs awesome, but needs repairs we cannot afford so I would not know how well these features work when in order.

Suggested Improvements

remote unlock, better middle hub caps, they come off easily. and also easier to get to light relays