1996 Buick Skylark Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Skylark model:
Got me where I needed to go
By densachan on 10/29/12 08:35 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

This was basically my first car and I planned to use it until my credit was better established and suitable for a newer, smaller car. The car did just that and held out for the time I needed it to. It made for a smooth ride, good braking system and had powerful acceleration. The troubles started at the very end and were all contributed to the coolant system. The water pump and radiator needed replacement which cost 500+. Soon after, they found a leak in a component behind the heat shield which I needed up fixing with a leak seal. I am just glad that the car got me where I needed to go until I was in a position to buy another car.

Piece of junk
By JP2009 on 05/13/09 12:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2005 as a first car from a friend that was very reliable, i knew he would not rip me off. At first it was great and handled well and was fairly good for being a 1996. I must say i have had so many problems with this car. It doesnt start, i hate to turn it over twice everytime i get in it. It has had tons of faulty electical problems, to the point where my car wouldnt start for 3 months and i took it to 5 different mechanics!! Over all i have had nothing but problems with this car and put WAY to much money into it. It also only has 70,000 miles on it right now so it is not like it has alot of miles. there is not reason it shoudl be this bad other than it is old.

It Never Dies
By Mr Blah Blah on 02/14/09 13:25 PM (PST)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my father-in- law who put 112,000 miles on it. I have a 76 mile round-trip commute to work and go through about a tank of gas a week. I can get close to 400 miles off of one tank. Had a not-so-easy-to-find electrical problem with it, but once that was ironed out, no other problems. I now have 150,000 miles on it and love it. One of the most dependable cars I have ever owned.

Decent for quite a while
By Amanda Cole on 07/15/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car 9 years ago and it was extremely reliable for several years. In the past 3 years I've had to put a lot of work and money into it replacing the entire steering column because of a problem with the computer (that was very annoying) and now the transmission is slipping. Other repairs have been minimal, it gets good gas mileage on the highway (about 30 mpg), the A/C is very cold, which I like a lot! it's very comfortable and doesn't feel like a huge car, but is still roomy. Also replacing window motors in the past 2 years was bad news. Several small things gone bad lately.

Eh, must not have got the same car
By jcran2181 on 07/02/08 16:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I must not have gotten the same car these other reviewers got! I bought this car used, by a guy I trusted and knew wouldn't give me a bad deal (granted, I did get it used). I suppose most of these reviews are based on dealership bought cars, but this car was just a lemon as is most American cars after they get 100,000 miles on them. It looked real slick for a brutha to go round and jam his music to, it was fun, but I was under the hood every two to three days tryin to fix something. Just wasn't a dependable car. I was suprised how much a car can really fall apart in the span of about 6 months, but then again, it's a '96 car in 2008, so maybe it just needed to find a retirement home.

Tough Car
By LostRealist on 05/08/06 19:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

This is a really tough car. In the 3 months I've had it, it's held up to a lot of abuse. I push this car everyday, and while I get pretty bad gas mileage from driving in a very "spirited" way, I get really good performance and the entire car is extremely tough (engine, chassis, trans, suspension, etc). I've heard some really good things about this car, and so far its lived up to the expectations. Theres only few minor electrical problems with the car, but all of them have been previously recalled. The previous owner did not fix them. Basic maintainence is all that has been needed for this car. Overall, this car is a tremedously good buy.

Takes a beating
By luvinit on 04/27/06 22:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I despised this vehicle when I first began to drive it because it is a "grandma" sedan. Over a year of driving it, i have learned to love it. I have had some pricy repairs but given the age, the mileage and some of the notorious parts that come with it standard, i had expected it. The parts I believe may be due to the dealership's, and the previous owners fault; they were in moderate condition when purchased but went far downhill over the course of five years. My vehicle has had basicly everything worked on except for the lower portion of the engine. The repair costs that i have suffered are most likely not common given that the main notorious object in the vehicle, has just failed(tranny)

Snow Cutter
By mruprell on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Buick Skylark is my snow cutter .... cuts throught he piles of snow through running across the mid state country side

Best Car I Ever Had
By foxhunter on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in June of '96 for my wife, who gave up driving shortly thereafter. I took it over, and it's been the best car I've ever owned. It handles very well, has had minimal maintainence and still looks good.

Champion Underdog
By EmeraldGreenSkylark on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Skylark Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan

Really awesome for a first car. With the V6, outperforms most other cars I've driven. Stomp on the gas in optimal gear-drop ranges (25-30 for 1st and 60-65 for 2nd) and you feel like you're about to launch. Elegant design, love the color (green). Joy to drive, feels 100% stable even at 90+. Seems like a car people love to hate though. Has needed some expensive repairs.