Used 1996 Buick Skylark Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Skylark - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Skylark model:

Got me where I needed to go
By densachan

1996 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan

This was basically my first car and I planned to use it until my credit was better established and suitable for a newer, smaller car. The car did just that and held out for the time I needed it to. It made for a smooth ride, good braking system and had powerful acceleration. The troubles started at the very end and were all contributed to the coolant system. The water pump and radiator needed replacement which cost 500+. Soon after, they found a leak in a component behind the heat shield which I needed up fixing with a leak seal. I am just glad that the car got me where I needed to go until I was in a position to buy another car.

The gas mileage was good for an old car. I would fill it up and wouldn't have to do so again for another 2-3 weeks. My mom has a newer Buick and these cars are pretty sturdy and reliable. When I did trade it in, I received more than the KBB value!

It needed better materials. Since the car wasn't driven much by the previous owner, the underbelly and coolant system rusted pretty badly. I had to reclamp the muffler to the bottom of the car because the original clamp rusted and fell right off when I hit a small pothole. The holes in the water pump and radiator were due to the same thing. Just be sure to check for rust when you inspect this car.

Piece of junk
By JP2009

1996 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2005 as a first car from a friend that was very reliable, i knew he would not rip me off. At first it was great and handled well and was fairly good for being a 1996. I must say i have had so many problems with this car. It doesnt start, i hate to turn it over twice everytime i get in it. It has had tons of faulty electical problems, to the point where my car wouldnt start for 3 months and i took it to 5 different mechanics!! Over all i have had nothing but problems with this car and put WAY to much money into it. It also only has 70,000 miles on it right now so it is not like it has alot of miles. there is not reason it shoudl be this bad other than it is old.

great stero system, handles really well, and it is very comfortable, and for being 13 years old there is not one rust spot on it

too many electrical problems. Not enough space exterior of car is verrry big but interior is very small and crammed i dont even use my backseat for passengers because it is too small

It Never Dies
By Mr Blah Blah

1996 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my father-in- law who put 112,000 miles on it. I have a 76 mile round-trip commute to work and go through about a tank of gas a week. I can get close to 400 miles off of one tank. Had a not-so-easy-to-find electrical problem with it, but once that was ironed out, no other problems. I now have 150,000 miles on it and love it. One of the most dependable cars I have ever owned.

It has excellent gas mileage, and has superior handling in the snow and bad weather.

I would like to have had a slightly larger rear seating area.

Decent for quite a while
By Amanda Cole

1996 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car 9 years ago and it was extremely reliable for several years. In the past 3 years I've had to put a lot of work and money into it replacing the entire steering column because of a problem with the computer (that was very annoying) and now the transmission is slipping. Other repairs have been minimal, it gets good gas mileage on the highway (about 30 mpg), the A/C is very cold, which I like a lot! it's very comfortable and doesn't feel like a huge car, but is still roomy. Also replacing window motors in the past 2 years was bad news. Several small things gone bad lately.

Eh, must not have got the same car
By jcran2181

1996 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan

I must not have gotten the same car these other reviewers got! I bought this car used, by a guy I trusted and knew wouldn't give me a bad deal (granted, I did get it used). I suppose most of these reviews are based on dealership bought cars, but this car was just a lemon as is most American cars after they get 100,000 miles on them. It looked real slick for a brutha to go round and jam his music to, it was fun, but I was under the hood every two to three days tryin to fix something. Just wasn't a dependable car. I was suprised how much a car can really fall apart in the span of about 6 months, but then again, it's a '96 car in 2008, so maybe it just needed to find a retirement home.

Looks, it looked real slick, had a good stereo

Everything mechanical.