1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Estate 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )
Power, Great Value, I've owned 5 of Them
By roadmaster5 on 03/23/14 10:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I echo what the other reviewers said, but the car does have its faults: the roof windows leak, not a lot, but they all do it enough to make the interior foggy on cold mornings. I park mine facing uphill and drill drain holes in the spare tire well and storage bin. The side rubber moldings come off after a dozen years, but don't throw them away. 3M exterior mounting tape puts them back as good as new, same for the interior door trim pieces whose tabs always break. The rear vent windows come off their hinges. Cynoacrylate gel does a decent job of putting them back. Rear windows go cockeyed after a plastic piece breaks--every car eventually. It's a $1 part and removing the door panel.

car for life?
By Mike on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

Love this car. Fast, reliable, comfortable and economical even for a big V-8. I load 12 foot surfcasting rods right down the middle or 4 X 8 sheet rock flat with the tailgate down. This car is so functional, reliable and so comfortable to drive I have difficulty buying a 2010 Anything! And it still looks great!

The best free car ever!
By sideiwnder13us on 03/22/10 17:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I was driving a 1986 v6 5 speed camaro that I got for $100.00 for 2 yrs. It was on its last broken leg. I was told of this 96 ESTATE WAGON for free. the old man was sick & dieing his family said If you want it you can have it. It's got just under 300. miles on it and it needed a fuel pump & a battery that I got out of my camaro. I have had it for 2 yrs now & I love it.

Oldie but goodie
By Steve on 10/14/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I bought my Estate collector's wagon from a friend who bought the car new in 1996. I had looked a these wagonsin '96 but thought they were priced to high. I got this one for a good price and only 25Kmiles and still has the dealer plastic wrap on the folding back seats.! I've driven it to CA. twice during the past two summers. I averaged 23 mpg and didn't feel tired after the drive. The powerful engine does well for this heavy of a car and the ride, although wavey, is not bad at all. I won first place in it's class at this summer's car show!

last of the best
By tikiwagon on 05/23/09 16:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I had been wanting a "Roadie" wagon since i was 16 and now that I finally have one i'm not disappointed. the best car ive owned... there are owners clubs out there for these cars (they are called B-Bodies ). parts are still readily available. i live in hilly western pa and I get 22-25 hwy mpg i have gotten as high as 28 in flat florida on vacation. the car drives smaller than it is. and is not hard to park. it will carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed. the areas to look closely at when buying one are 1. body rot particularly the 1/4 panel just past the rear tires. 2. air compressor issues (if air suspension equipped) 3. rear axle leaks 4. water leaks.

Its called the Road Master for a Reason
By alisha4545 on 04/18/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

This car has been the best ever! It is great for the trips all around Texas and its moved me several times....even though its got alot of miles it doesn't seem anything could stand in its way!

Best car yet
By Steve on 04/16/09 10:13 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I wanted one of these wagons back in 1996 but thought they were just too much money back then. I got this one from a friend with only 25K miles on it. It drives perfectly and made to CA. from CO. for a station wagon car show without trouble and averaged 24 mpg!

Titanic of American Roads
By llanell on 08/24/08 17:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

This is the Titanic of American roads. The best car I ever owned. I had to search for a car with such low miles for more than 2 years and was willing to pay any price to get it. Finally got one. Totally satisfied. Seats 8 people comfortably with lots of space.

I'm 6'2" and they did it right!
By P. Robb on 09/26/06 14:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

26 MPG with the A/C on at 6,000 feet and above. I just converted it to E85 Ethanol at $1.99 per gallon and 105 Octane... sweet! This wagon is fast, quiet, roomy, and very dependable! Oh yeah, parts and repairs have been cheap! After all, it's a Chevy driveline! Mine has power front seats, both driver and shotgun. And, I'm certain that anyone with 'headroom issues' has failed to properly lower the seats as I have loads of headroom and armroom and legroom. This wagon is an absolute pleasure to drive. If you seek comfort, spaciousness, and economy at a bargain price, you should look at the 1996 Roadmaster!

Big Car--Good Gas Milage--sleepr!
By Dan Bower on 07/10/06 18:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

This big fast car gets around 17 mpg around town and 24 on the highway. Leather interior is luxurious, durable, and the air conditioning is so cold it'll make your teeth hurt. The last year for the Roadmaster is first year for this 4L60E trans--bad combonation! Other than wrestling the trans problem to the ground, owning this agile pachaderm is fun and keeps the miles off the new iron, which is leased. I will not hestitate to get another one of these after this one answers the dispatcher of That Great Junk Yard In The Sky---but next time a low-mile kitty from, say, Palm Beach or Clearwater.