1996 Buick Roadmaster - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Roadmaster model:
Power, Great Value, I've owned 5 of Them
By roadmaster5 on 03/23/14 10:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I echo what the other reviewers said, but the car does have its faults: the roof windows leak, not a lot, but they all do it enough to make the interior foggy on cold mornings. I park mine facing uphill and drill drain holes in the spare tire well and storage bin. The side rubber moldings come off after a dozen years, but don't throw them away. 3M exterior mounting tape puts them back as good as new, same for the interior door trim pieces whose tabs always break. The rear vent windows come off their hinges. Cynoacrylate gel does a decent job of putting them back. Rear windows go cockeyed after a plastic piece breaks--every car eventually. It's a $1 part and removing the door panel.

car for life?
By Mike on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

Love this car. Fast, reliable, comfortable and economical even for a big V-8. I load 12 foot surfcasting rods right down the middle or 4 X 8 sheet rock flat with the tailgate down. This car is so functional, reliable and so comfortable to drive I have difficulty buying a 2010 Anything! And it still looks great!

Vintage GM
By JRD on 06/10/10 10:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster 4dr Sedan

This is the kind of car GM builds better than anyone else. I bought this to replace my older GM boats (1972 Electra and Riviera). I remember not liking these when they were new but now they seem to have a presence when compared to the other cars on the road. The LT-1 is fantastic as is the transmission. Very good power and roadability. I have to agree with other reviewers that the interior is somewhat poorly designed especially the door panels. The plastic front and rear bumpers don't seem that strong and chrome trim on them tends to come off (it's chrome tape.) I still give this car high marks for all around comfort and reliability.

The best free car ever!
By sideiwnder13us on 03/22/10 17:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I was driving a 1986 v6 5 speed camaro that I got for $100.00 for 2 yrs. It was on its last broken leg. I was told of this 96 ESTATE WAGON for free. the old man was sick & dieing his family said If you want it you can have it. It's got just under 300. miles on it and it needed a fuel pump & a battery that I got out of my camaro. I have had it for 2 yrs now & I love it.

Oldie but goodie
By Steve on 10/14/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I bought my Estate collector's wagon from a friend who bought the car new in 1996. I had looked a these wagonsin '96 but thought they were priced to high. I got this one for a good price and only 25Kmiles and still has the dealer plastic wrap on the folding back seats.! I've driven it to CA. twice during the past two summers. I averaged 23 mpg and didn't feel tired after the drive. The powerful engine does well for this heavy of a car and the ride, although wavey, is not bad at all. I won first place in it's class at this summer's car show!

last of the best
By tikiwagon on 05/23/09 16:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I had been wanting a "Roadie" wagon since i was 16 and now that I finally have one i'm not disappointed. the best car ive owned... there are owners clubs out there for these cars (they are called B-Bodies ). parts are still readily available. i live in hilly western pa and I get 22-25 hwy mpg i have gotten as high as 28 in flat florida on vacation. the car drives smaller than it is. and is not hard to park. it will carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed. the areas to look closely at when buying one are 1. body rot particularly the 1/4 panel just past the rear tires. 2. air compressor issues (if air suspension equipped) 3. rear axle leaks 4. water leaks.

Its called the Road Master for a Reason
By alisha4545 on 04/18/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

This car has been the best ever! It is great for the trips all around Texas and its moved me several times....even though its got alot of miles it doesn't seem anything could stand in its way!

Best car yet
By Steve on 04/16/09 10:13 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I wanted one of these wagons back in 1996 but thought they were just too much money back then. I got this one from a friend with only 25K miles on it. It drives perfectly and made to CA. from CO. for a station wagon car show without trouble and averaged 24 mpg!

Titanic of American Roads
By llanell on 08/24/08 17:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

This is the Titanic of American roads. The best car I ever owned. I had to search for a car with such low miles for more than 2 years and was willing to pay any price to get it. Finally got one. Totally satisfied. Seats 8 people comfortably with lots of space.

Best car ever
By kevin on 06/07/08 23:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Roadmaster Limited 4dr Sedan

Wow, what a car. Vette engine screams. 28 mpg Seattle to Los Angeles. Hard to find exterior trim parts, I do know a place in Seattle that can make parts if you have the old one. Very comfortable. Rear wheel drive is fun.