Used 1996 Buick Roadmaster Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Roadmaster - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Roadmaster model:

Power, Great Value, I've owned 5 of Them
By roadmaster5

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I echo what the other reviewers said, but the car does have its faults: the roof windows leak, not a lot, but they all do it enough to make the interior foggy on cold mornings. I park mine facing uphill and drill drain holes in the spare tire well and storage bin. The side rubber moldings come off after a dozen years, but don't throw them away. 3M exterior mounting tape puts them back as good as new, same for the interior door trim pieces whose tabs always break. The rear vent windows come off their hinges. Cynoacrylate gel does a decent job of putting them back. Rear windows go cockeyed after a plastic piece breaks--every car eventually. It's a $1 part and removing the door panel.

car for life?
By Mike

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

Love this car. Fast, reliable, comfortable and economical even for a big V-8. I load 12 foot surfcasting rods right down the middle or 4 X 8 sheet rock flat with the tailgate down. This car is so functional, reliable and so comfortable to drive I have difficulty buying a 2010 Anything! And it still looks great!

Favorite Features

L1 Corvette Engine performance High quality leather interior Grand Touring Suspension Climate Control

Suggested Improvements

Exterior trim doesn't age well Spotty body rust along lower perimeter

Vintage GM
By JRD

1996 Buick Roadmaster 4dr Sedan

This is the kind of car GM builds better than anyone else. I bought this to replace my older GM boats (1972 Electra and Riviera). I remember not liking these when they were new but now they seem to have a presence when compared to the other cars on the road. The LT-1 is fantastic as is the transmission. Very good power and roadability. I have to agree with other reviewers that the interior is somewhat poorly designed especially the door panels. The plastic front and rear bumpers don't seem that strong and chrome trim on them tends to come off (it's chrome tape.) I still give this car high marks for all around comfort and reliability.

Favorite Features

comfort, highway ride and climate control

Suggested Improvements

better materials for interior

The best free car ever!
By sideiwnder13us

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I was driving a 1986 v6 5 speed camaro that I got for $100.00 for 2 yrs. It was on its last broken leg. I was told of this 96 ESTATE WAGON for free. the old man was sick & dieing his family said If you want it you can have it. It's got just under 300. miles on it and it needed a fuel pump & a battery that I got out of my camaro. I have had it for 2 yrs now & I love it.

Favorite Features

(FREE) for me.

Suggested Improvements

Make a 2011. I would like to see it.

Oldie but goodie
By Steve

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate 4dr Wagon

I bought my Estate collector's wagon from a friend who bought the car new in 1996. I had looked a these wagonsin '96 but thought they were priced to high. I got this one for a good price and only 25Kmiles and still has the dealer plastic wrap on the folding back seats.! I've driven it to CA. twice during the past two summers. I averaged 23 mpg and didn't feel tired after the drive. The powerful engine does well for this heavy of a car and the ride, although wavey, is not bad at all. I won first place in it's class at this summer's car show!

Favorite Features

The stereo is fantastic for only 4 speakers. Engine, ride, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Too latenow, no longer in production. Sadly, it's tough to get white wall tires that fit.