Used 1998 Buick Riviera Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.8L V6 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

98 Riviera 205,000 like a new car
By kbondra

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

We bought the Riviera new in at the end of 1998, best and most reliable car we have ever had. Runs and drives like a new car, rarely ever needs anything but gas, gets pretty good mileage too. It is powerful, roomy, comfortable, relatively quiet, nice ride, seats are real comfortable, never left us stranded. I own 3 cars a truck and a boat and the Riv is the most trouble free and reliable.

Reliability, The car is16 years old and I have done nothing major to it. Just hit the key and go, even when it is 13 below zero. Have done normal maintenance stuff, oil changes, brakes, 3rd set of tires, struts, 2 tune ups, air filter, battery. Engine drive belt pulleys will seize when they get old so I replaced them all, Passkey system will fail eventually and will need a new ignition switch (the 2 thin wires in the steering column break from tilting the wheel up and down).

I wish it lasted longer :(
By MSWSU

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought my car with 83000 miles on it, and had it for about 2.5 years. I replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys with the belts and Replaced the water pump. At 105000 miles, the torque converter went bad on it. I was pretty bummed that it only made it that far, since my last buick (1994 park avenue ultra) made it to 170000. The ride was great - lots of power, but the suspension was starting to go bad (it creaked when I would go over bumps). Great car overall :)

supercharger, comfortable seats.

Better suspension.

Rivieras-Gotta' Love 'Em
By 3xalady

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I have driven Rivieras since 1990 (2). At one time, I traded cars every 2-3 years, after buying my first Riviera, I just wanted to keep them. I have never had a Riviera to "stop" on me. My car has over 150,000 miles on it and the motor sounds like it did 10 years ago. Can't wait for the 2009/2010!

Luxury interior and lighting

great car
By J.R.Wilson

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Got this car with 50,000 miles on it, and it has been wonerful. Maybe the most beautiful car G.M. ever built. Suspension was too soft but tightened that up with some preformance struts. It is comfortable, fast and considering size and mass economical, I get 29-30 mpg with the cruise set at 73-74 mph, 18 mpg around Pittsburgh {lots of hills} The body is so georgeous, I find myself studying the curves and lines, a masterpiece.

The appearence, the power,love the way it just goes when you put your foot in it, no fuss no muss just endless acceleration.

Stiffer suspension, heater blower and distribution controls on the steering wheel and don't use steel clips on an aluminum hood. Anyone who was not asleep in 9th grade science knows that dissimilar metals in a wet environment leads to corrosion.

98 99 "Thats all folks"
By pketch

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Just plain love it. Easy to work on. 33 mpg on the highway. Drives like a small car even though it is a monster. Bought it for myself but the wife stole it once I got it home. The sloping hood is what sold her. She has always been afraid of a big car. What sold me was the car and its history. I am so happy with this car that I am now buying a 99 which will replace a 2000 Cadillac Eldo.

Ease of maintenance. 33 MPG on regular fuel. Looks. Last year. Getting very hard to find. A real eye turner (Pearl White, chrome wheels, vinyl roof, don't see many like that on the road)

Blind spots but hey get some cat's eye mirrors. Front rotors tend to warp if you don't know how to drive in the mountains. Parts are getting a little bit scarce. Interior body trim could have been better. Having to pull a motor mount to change out the serpentine belt. Struts are good for 30k