1998 Buick Riviera Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.8L V6 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )
I wish it lasted longer :(
By MSWSU on 01/06/10 19:27 PM (PST)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought my car with 83000 miles on it, and had it for about 2.5 years. I replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys with the belts and Replaced the water pump. At 105000 miles, the torque converter went bad on it. I was pretty bummed that it only made it that far, since my last buick (1994 park avenue ultra) made it to 170000. The ride was great - lots of power, but the suspension was starting to go bad (it creaked when I would go over bumps). Great car overall :)

Rivieras-Gotta' Love 'Em
By 3xalady on 05/09/09 10:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I have driven Rivieras since 1990 (2). At one time, I traded cars every 2-3 years, after buying my first Riviera, I just wanted to keep them. I have never had a Riviera to "stop" on me. My car has over 150,000 miles on it and the motor sounds like it did 10 years ago. Can't wait for the 2009/2010!

great car
By J.R.Wilson on 02/11/09 10:38 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Got this car with 50,000 miles on it, and it has been wonerful. Maybe the most beautiful car G.M. ever built. Suspension was too soft but tightened that up with some preformance struts. It is comfortable, fast and considering size and mass economical, I get 29-30 mpg with the cruise set at 73-74 mph, 18 mpg around Pittsburgh {lots of hills} The body is so georgeous, I find myself studying the curves and lines, a masterpiece.

98 99 "Thats all folks"
By pketch on 10/14/07 07:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Just plain love it. Easy to work on. 33 mpg on the highway. Drives like a small car even though it is a monster. Bought it for myself but the wife stole it once I got it home. The sloping hood is what sold her. She has always been afraid of a big car. What sold me was the car and its history. I am so happy with this car that I am now buying a 99 which will replace a 2000 Cadillac Eldo.

Unrivaled
By Zach P on 08/10/07 17:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

It's amazing how many people will come up to you and compliment you on your car, especially knowing it's 9 years old. This car is beautiful, it's stylish, it's elegant, and it's a lot of fun to drive. You never see these things on the road where I live, and it's cool to drive something that nobody's seen before or heard of. This is my first car, and I loved it the minute I decided to buy it. If you consider purchasing one from a company or person who's taken good care of it for years (like I did), you won't be disappointed.

Buick Riviera
By Carla Lucchino on 07/04/07 10:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Excellent car to drive. Great acceleration. Rear visibility could be better. Overall, a fantastic car.

1998 Buick Riviera
By Sherry on 01/04/07 10:08 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

My 1st Riviera was a 91, loved the ride and body style. Looked for the 98 online. Found this it has been an excellent car in all categories except the awful paint job. I don't understand why GMC did not stand behind this when so many had the same problem. Everyone that you take it to all said the same thing that it was the factory paint, even the Buick dealer, but they wouldn't stand behind it. I have been in 2 minor accidents and am thoroughly impressed as to how well this vehicle did. I bought it with 40,000 miles on it, had to replace rack and pinion steering, other than that just regular maintenance.

Love my Riviera
By gg on 08/16/05 23:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

This is one of the best cars! I love to put the sunroof back and ride on sunny days. I chose this car over a 2004 sports car. It had only 29,000 miles when I bought it and was in perfect condition.

A Luxury Sleeper, Retro Style
By Aaron S. on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

The '95-99 Riviera is a large, comfortable, quick, attractive coupe. Its design feeds from the classic Riviera lineage, & has a very retro feel. There’s a spacious interior, soft ride, torquey engine, heavy (safe) chassis, & traditional style. It has a gorgeous body, its curves and edges continuing the classic-car look with a wide & low stature & pinched fenders. One of the last big & fast 2-doors, the Riv is a definite "sleeper”. Leather (heated & motorized) buckets, power everything, auto climate control, CD radio, self-dimmed mirror w/compass, huge trunk, and VERY quiet ride make driving a pleasure.

1998 Buick Riviera
By Randall B. on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

This car has unique styling and has excellent eye appeal. It has plenty of power and provides a quiet, comfortable ride. Gas mileage is excellent, although premium is required.