Used 1998 Buick Riviera Base Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Riviera - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.8L V6 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Best car ever!
By The Old Colonel

1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Purchased in late 1997 and totaled in July 2013 with only 51,000 miles on it. Most comfortable ride of any car I ever owned. Had very little maintenance. The heavy structure and the airbag clearly saved my life in the accident.

98 Riviera 205,000 like a new car
By kbondra

1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

We bought the Riviera new in at the end of 1998, best and most reliable car we have ever had. Runs and drives like a new car, rarely ever needs anything but gas, gets pretty good mileage too. It is powerful, roomy, comfortable, relatively quiet, nice ride, seats are real comfortable, never left us stranded. I own 3 cars a truck and a boat and the Riv is the most trouble free and reliable.

I wish it lasted longer :(
By MSWSU

1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought my car with 83000 miles on it, and had it for about 2.5 years. I replaced the tensioner and idler pulleys with the belts and Replaced the water pump. At 105000 miles, the torque converter went bad on it. I was pretty bummed that it only made it that far, since my last buick (1994 park avenue ultra) made it to 170000. The ride was great - lots of power, but the suspension was starting to go bad (it creaked when I would go over bumps). Great car overall :)

supercharger, comfortable seats.

Better suspension.

Rivieras-Gotta' Love 'Em
By 3xalady

1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I have driven Rivieras since 1990 (2). At one time, I traded cars every 2-3 years, after buying my first Riviera, I just wanted to keep them. I have never had a Riviera to "stop" on me. My car has over 150,000 miles on it and the motor sounds like it did 10 years ago. Can't wait for the 2009/2010!

Luxury interior and lighting

great car
By J.R.Wilson

1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Got this car with 50,000 miles on it, and it has been wonerful. Maybe the most beautiful car G.M. ever built. Suspension was too soft but tightened that up with some preformance struts. It is comfortable, fast and considering size and mass economical, I get 29-30 mpg with the cruise set at 73-74 mph, 18 mpg around Pittsburgh {lots of hills} The body is so georgeous, I find myself studying the curves and lines, a masterpiece.

The appearence, the power,love the way it just goes when you put your foot in it, no fuss no muss just endless acceleration.

Stiffer suspension, heater blower and distribution controls on the steering wheel and don't use steel clips on an aluminum hood. Anyone who was not asleep in 9th grade science knows that dissimilar metals in a wet environment leads to corrosion.