1997 Buick Riviera Consumer Review: Smooth Ride

1997 Buick Riviera Coupe - Consumer Review

Smooth Ride
By kjlong on

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I got this car from a family of 9 so it was pretty rough when I got it. It needed several fixes and replacements before it was back in decent condition. It served me well while I commuted during college, never left me on the side of the road, and has always provided the luxury that has been associated with Buick vehicles. I am currently pushing 18k miles and it has definitely seen better days but I am overall very pleased with this car. The interior is decent besides a missing piece of leather on the console, scratches and dings on the dashboard and steering wheel controls, and a couple of damaged fan covers: these issues were present when I bought it. I love the ride!

Awesome stereo, smooth ride, neat luxury perks that included volume control on the steering wheel, seat position memory, sun/moon roof, heated driver's seat, everything automatic, the get-up-and-go, the sleek exterior and the plane-like dashboard, roomy back seats and trunk, comfortable leather, self-adjusting passenger mirror, auto-dimming rearview mirror, CD/cassette player, TONS of leg room.

I didn't care too much for the huge, wide-swinging doors but that's very minor. I wish I could have gotten better gas mileage but I did a fair combo of city vs. highway driving so it varied. The back window frames were thick which provided some larger blind spots than what I would have liked. The remote entry never worked, due to a sensor/receiver within the car that wouldn't communicate with the remote. A/C and cruise control were doomed from the previous owners and the retractable antennae stopped working but it doesn't interfere with radio function. The clear coat is starting to peel, but 1997 was not a good year for paint for these cars.