1997 Buick Riviera - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Riviera model:
409,000 miles and still going!!!
By thomie8 on 06/24/14 06:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1997 Supercharged Riviera from the original owner with 37,000 miles on it. I commuted 100 miles round trip to work each day for 13 years. I now have 409,000 miles on it. Parts replaced included 3 water pumps, 2 alternators, a starter, entire brake system (minus master cylinder...thats still original). The CD player went to I had a cheap one installed. One set of tires (Cooper) I got 105,000 miles out of. Had the front wheel bearing assemblies replaced at 250,000 and just had the drivers front wheel bearing replaced. Still the original exhaust system. It has some annoying oil leaks that I really don't care about. Original paint job is my only complaint. Wore off in a few places.

Love/Hate Relationship 97 Buick Riviera
By holmslice88 on 03/11/14 20:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I purchased the vehicle with 147,000 miles on it for $3,500 and thought it was the best car ever. I loved the leather interior with the single heated seat(only available on the drivers side.) It was such a smooth ride at first but once I hit 165,000 it wen't downhill. The Transmission blew and had to drop $2,500 unexpectedly to fix it. The door handle broke 3 times on the drivers side, keep in mind that the factory one is around $250. Issues with the crankshaft sensor and suspension happened around 190k miles. I managed to get it up to 220k miles....I'm honestly going to miss the ride and comfort but I am not going to miss the headache.

Smooth Ride
By kjlong on 12/09/12 21:13 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I got this car from a family of 9 so it was pretty rough when I got it. It needed several fixes and replacements before it was back in decent condition. It served me well while I commuted during college, never left me on the side of the road, and has always provided the luxury that has been associated with Buick vehicles. I am currently pushing 18k miles and it has definitely seen better days but I am overall very pleased with this car. The interior is decent besides a missing piece of leather on the console, scratches and dings on the dashboard and steering wheel controls, and a couple of damaged fan covers: these issues were present when I bought it. I love the ride!

1997 Buick Riviera 2 Dr STD Sprchgd Coup
By Gr8engineer on 08/08/10 05:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought this car, brand new, right off the show room floor. We added a Wood View, dash and council kit. This car, with all the options, and additions, equaled the same model Cadillac, for $7000 dollars less. Those years of Cadillac had nothing but problems, this car had almost none. Had to replace water pump.

Riviera - last of the personal coupes?
By Dave on 06/07/09 07:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

We have had many unique cars... great '91 Regal GS (450K), wonderful '93 Park Avenue (500K) never a drop of oil or any engine work with either now '97 Riviera same good quality. Wheel bearings on all 3 Buicks have been a bane. Riviera has developed unpredictable starting problem... no action on turning key - nothing. Happens once in a while, let sit for few minutes and then it will start. Cannot find problem. Not starter nor solenoid. Ignition or neutral safety lock? Various mechanics have looked into this to no avail. Does anybody else have this experience?

My Modern Buick
By Z Man on 12/16/08 22:36 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

This being by far my newest Buick I must say with 191,000 its an amazing machine! Light blue exterior and dark blue leather its incredible. Comfortable to drive, powerful in any situation, and with 28-29 miles a gallon on highway its just what I need! I owned 2 58's and 2 59's and my 97 Buick and I will say that Buick has held on to quality a lot better then most other auto companies! Way to go Buick!

My Grandma's Car
By OptiClaw on 12/01/08 16:23 PM (PST)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Bought my grandparent's Riviera a couple months ago. They bought it new in '97 and it only had 70K miles in '08. For $3000, that's a great deal. Seats are super comfortable, stereo's nice, decent power and MPG. Steering is light as a feather. Gas gauge doesn't register correctly below half tank, but with over 300 miles per tank, that's not too big a deal. Definitely not a sports car, but it's a major upgrade from my old '93 Mazda 626.

Black Rivi on duces with beat
By babystunna55 on 10/22/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Cool whip. I like it. Fun to drive and all that. I got some custom things on mine. 22 inch rims. DVD in dash. Two 12 inch subs in the trunk. Love the car

Best car I've owned and so classy
By DiAnna on 10/05/08 09:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

This indeed a really sleek beautiful, supercharged car. Very nicely built and holds up to about anything. I drive it in excess of 100 miles daily, never a problem

Got to love it
By keith on 10/04/08 15:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

My car so far has given me all the fun and glory I need in driving and being seen driving. I love the shape, style, and I love Buicks. Very fun, sporty, classy, etc. If you are thinking about buying one, dont! Buy two!