Bought My Dream Riviera New in 1996
By lovemyriviera on
1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe
I drove my 1996 Buick Riviera out of the showroom and could drive it back there today to sell as a new car, it still looks that fantastic! I've taken excellent care of this car and it's only been the dealership for all maintenance. It was my daily driver for 10 years with 112,000 km (70,000 miles) now. Only had 2 problems: 1. there's been an electronic bug in the tape player; GM has acknowledged the problem but no fix, since it only happens one-in-awhile I live with it; 2. I recently had to replace the ABS Pressure Modulator Valve which cost $50 for the part and $75 for labor. Otherwise, the car has been a dream and it still turns a lot of heads!
Favorite Features
You have to love that supercharged 3.8L V6 engine. Great fuel economy in the city for a large car, and on the highway when you need to pass, that supercharger kick is awesome! I've had it up to 180 km/hr (110 mi/hr) and it drove like a rocket on air! I stronly suggest putting nitrogen in the tires instead of air. It really makes a difference in the ride, especially on the highway.
Suggested Improvements
Since the Riviera is no longer made, not much to suggest, other than i wished GM would fix the tape player electronic bug. I'm sure it's a programming fix that can be done at the dealership, if GM was interested in fixing it. This was a real jewel in the GM crown. Bring back the Riviera!