1996 Buick Riviera - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Riviera model:
Bought My Dream Riviera New in 1996
By lovemyriviera on 01/23/12 20:13 PM (PST)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I drove my 1996 Buick Riviera out of the showroom and could drive it back there today to sell as a new car, it still looks that fantastic! I've taken excellent care of this car and it's only been the dealership for all maintenance. It was my daily driver for 10 years with 112,000 km (70,000 miles) now. Only had 2 problems: 1. there's been an electronic bug in the tape player; GM has acknowledged the problem but no fix, since it only happens one-in-awhile I live with it; 2. I recently had to replace the ABS Pressure Modulator Valve which cost $50 for the part and $75 for labor. Otherwise, the car has been a dream and it still turns a lot of heads!

Supercharged Riviera
By gmck25004x on 12/30/11 17:09 PM (PST)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $260 in 2010. It had sat for 3 years. I put a new $150 battery in under the rear seat and drove it home 20 miles with no brakes! I had all 13 brake lines replaced. It needed a hood and fender and lights from a deer collision sometime before I bought it. I drove it to work while I was replacing body parts. I replaced all the engine pulleys and belts and hoses and radiator. The interior is flawless and the exterior is exquisite. It just looks fast! It is one of the fastest cars I have ever owned! I have used it to teach my son to work on cars. o2 sensors give false electronic messages. replaced both...runs better than ever! one hub bearing. 209k miles.

My Rivi needs help
By kshugg on 08/09/11 10:41 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought a 96 Rivi about 3 months ago, from a dealership. Brought along my then-roommate who said he was a mechanic. He declared my car worthy of purchase, and I eagerly bought this car. I have had numerous problems with this car, from the motor mounts breaking to the transmission failing to the car overheating a lot. But I will not give up on this car. I love the supercharged engine and how it growls when I step on the gas pedal. And I have yet to see another Rivi on the road, even tho I am driving this car daily.

Awesome ride by Buick.
By Rodd on 08/31/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought a nice 96 Riviera that is Supercharged for $400! It has been sitting for three years due to driver's sudden death. It was a very sad story. I bought a $144 battery and put under the seat. It started right up and ran great! No knocks but it had a great big brake line leak. I drove it the 20 miles home with no brakes! It was a comfortable ride and man the power was awesome! The buttery leather seats and carpet and still like new! It is like riding the the space shuttle cockpit! Tires and brakes were just replaced! Engine and tranny are superb! I have it at the shop now to replace the brake lines and I am looking for a hood and fender as it hit a deer just before it was parked

In my opinion
By Nicole on 08/22/10 09:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I got this car almost 2 years ago and when i first got it i loved it, i got it checked out before buying it and the car mechanic said it would be a good buy. Now two years later i have had to replace many many things and every replacement has been very expensive. the fuel mileage for this car is very poor. (granted my car is super charged). But this car is very sturdy and safe feeling which is very nice. In my opinion if your looking to buy this car don't buy it unless you're looking to do it for a collectors item since it isn't made anymore.

Enduring Love
By LuvMyRivie on 06/20/10 10:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera 2dr Coupe

My Riv is like the most perfect mate who you just know is going to break your heart someday. Our rocky romance was immediate. She was in and out of the shop constantly for the first two years...thank God for GM-Certified warranties! Fast forward 12 years and I'm still as much in love with her as back then. Even more so because for the past 10 years all she has required of me is feeding and the usual changing. I've grown to listen and know her like none beforehand. She might not be the most nimble and quickest of athletes on the asphalt but, she pampers me with an uncompromised ride, comfort, economy, and timeless styling. With 220K+, our days together are numbered and there goes my heart.

After Six Years
By dave8697 on 05/15/10 21:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Have now put 88000 miles on it. It has 2 problems that were not worth fixing so I live with them. The trans lost 4th gear at 163k miles and the paint peeled badly from 8th year on. I was getting 27-28 mpg till trans issue. Now get 21 both city and hwy mpg as a 3 speed. Have always run regular with no issues. Car has now lost all its value but still starts instantly and purrs quietly.

Never had a better vehicle
By jrwjr61 on 10/19/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I puchased my 1996 Riviera in 1998 and still own it today. I stopped driving it full time in 2005. It currently has 164,000 on the odometer. It had 39,000 miles on it at purchase I averaged about 19,000 miles a year when using it as an everyday driver. I couldn't see trading or selling this car for the "book value" when it is still in fantastic mechanical and cosmetic shape. I now take to car shows and believe it or not a lot of people don't even recognize the car as a GM or Buick. They haven't made the Riviera since 1999 so there just isn't that many left driving around. I have trophyed in numerous shows and will probably never get rid of this car.

AWESOME RIV
By swede88 on 08/28/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Great car! I've owned Caddies,Mercedes,Volvos and Vettes & this rates at the top! 31.8 MPG, peppie but refined with beautiful lines! Interior comfort to match Mercedes,sporty luxury as good as the eldoradoes but much better engine. I Love this car!

over 210000 mile running strong
By RCH on 07/29/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

This car has been as good a car as one could ask for. Things have went wrong but car kept going down the road until I could get it fixed. I always traded cars every two yrs buying 2 yr old cars or less. Feel this car was killed off by buick dealers as no local dealers within 60 miles carried this model new. I had to drive 120 miles to purchase this one. And within two yrs car lost 50% of value. This car has turned more heads than the other 22 cars I previously owned. Gas mileage is very impressive with size of car and supercharger. the car is supposed to use high test gas but this car has never been run on it for over 150000 miles with no change in performance.