Used 1996 Buick Riviera Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Riviera - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Riviera model:

Bought My Dream Riviera New in 1996
By lovemyriviera

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I drove my 1996 Buick Riviera out of the showroom and could drive it back there today to sell as a new car, it still looks that fantastic! I've taken excellent care of this car and it's only been the dealership for all maintenance. It was my daily driver for 10 years with 112,000 km (70,000 miles) now. Only had 2 problems: 1. there's been an electronic bug in the tape player; GM has acknowledged the problem but no fix, since it only happens one-in-awhile I live with it; 2. I recently had to replace the ABS Pressure Modulator Valve which cost $50 for the part and $75 for labor. Otherwise, the car has been a dream and it still turns a lot of heads!

Favorite Features

You have to love that supercharged 3.8L V6 engine. Great fuel economy in the city for a large car, and on the highway when you need to pass, that supercharger kick is awesome! I've had it up to 180 km/hr (110 mi/hr) and it drove like a rocket on air! I stronly suggest putting nitrogen in the tires instead of air. It really makes a difference in the ride, especially on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Since the Riviera is no longer made, not much to suggest, other than i wished GM would fix the tape player electronic bug. I'm sure it's a programming fix that can be done at the dealership, if GM was interested in fixing it. This was a real jewel in the GM crown. Bring back the Riviera!

Supercharged Riviera
By gmck25004x

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $260 in 2010. It had sat for 3 years. I put a new $150 battery in under the rear seat and drove it home 20 miles with no brakes! I had all 13 brake lines replaced. It needed a hood and fender and lights from a deer collision sometime before I bought it. I drove it to work while I was replacing body parts. I replaced all the engine pulleys and belts and hoses and radiator. The interior is flawless and the exterior is exquisite. It just looks fast! It is one of the fastest cars I have ever owned! I have used it to teach my son to work on cars. o2 sensors give false electronic messages. replaced both...runs better than ever! one hub bearing. 209k miles.

Favorite Features

Interior cockpit design and buttery soft leather. Heated seat. Gave this car to my son for x mas in 2011!

Suggested Improvements

nothing!

My Rivi needs help
By kshugg

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought a 96 Rivi about 3 months ago, from a dealership. Brought along my then-roommate who said he was a mechanic. He declared my car worthy of purchase, and I eagerly bought this car. I have had numerous problems with this car, from the motor mounts breaking to the transmission failing to the car overheating a lot. But I will not give up on this car. I love the supercharged engine and how it growls when I step on the gas pedal. And I have yet to see another Rivi on the road, even tho I am driving this car daily.

Awesome ride by Buick.
By Rodd

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I bought a nice 96 Riviera that is Supercharged for $400! It has been sitting for three years due to driver's sudden death. It was a very sad story. I bought a $144 battery and put under the seat. It started right up and ran great! No knocks but it had a great big brake line leak. I drove it the 20 miles home with no brakes! It was a comfortable ride and man the power was awesome! The buttery leather seats and carpet and still like new! It is like riding the the space shuttle cockpit! Tires and brakes were just replaced! Engine and tranny are superb! I have it at the shop now to replace the brake lines and I am looking for a hood and fender as it hit a deer just before it was parked

Favorite Features

Seats and cockpit.

Suggested Improvements

Battery needs to go back under hood, plenty of room!

In my opinion
By Nicole

1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I got this car almost 2 years ago and when i first got it i loved it, i got it checked out before buying it and the car mechanic said it would be a good buy. Now two years later i have had to replace many many things and every replacement has been very expensive. the fuel mileage for this car is very poor. (granted my car is super charged). But this car is very sturdy and safe feeling which is very nice. In my opinion if your looking to buy this car don't buy it unless you're looking to do it for a collectors item since it isn't made anymore.

Favorite Features

acceleration and the comfort inside the car.