Used 1995 Buick Riviera Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Buick Riviera - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Riviera model:

Love my Riv!
By th3fr4nchi5e

1995 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I've had my Riv for almost 4 years now. 178k mi on the clock. It was my first car and I've loved it since the day I got it. It was professionally repainted with some custom touches by my dad and I am asked what it is all the time. Its lightly modded with much more in the future and pulls excellent. My only expense aside from regular maintenance was the original Tranny died at 169k miles. A comment for other owners: I see alot of people having the Supercharger replaced at an expense of $800+. These Superchargers rarely fail. Most often it is a worn coupling which is available new for $30 and most mechanically inclined people could service it themselves. There are many write ups online!

Favorite Features

Power, Styling, Comfort. I love it!

Suggested Improvements

Underbuilt transmission for the power the Supercharged models do make and are capable of.

Absolutely JUNK
By inlinewhine

1995 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

Bought this mint condition car in Feburary 2002 and drove till Feburary of 2003. And in the 12 months I had replaced in this order: Struts, spark plugs, spark plug wires oil drain plug, supercharger, brakes, rotors, waterpump, headlights, radiator, coolent, rack and pinion, rear air shocks, leveling air compressor, climate control module, blower motor, transmission, harmonic balancer. It was using oil. it was $12,000 in repair bills . it had 125k hwy miles on it in 2002 and in 2003 it had 139k all hwy miles. Paid $7250 for the car and sold it for $3800. it was in the shop every week. I would not recomend this car to anybody it is a piece of absolute garbage.

Favorite Features

looked nice because it was in the shop every week.

Suggested Improvements

Everything, 225hp for a 3.8l supercharged engine is weak plus it need premium fuel. My 2002 Hyundai Elantra is faster whild getting 2-3 times the gas mileage. Why would anyone want this car is beyond me. Good luck if your seriously considering purchasing this car. I probally missed some of the repairs above but those are the majority of them. Supercharger and the transmission being the 2 major problems that left me stranded. When the climate control failed it fogged up the windows really bad but was able to make it to my destination and get the problem fixed.

fun
By boweezy57

1995 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I dont know how people are getting 20+ mpg because I used the trip mileage to get mine and I get about 10-12mpg.

Favorite Features

Design, engine, interior

Suggested Improvements

speakers, cup holders, mpg

Still Happy After 2.5 Years
By BigTexKahuna

1995 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I offered a review 2.5 years ago, and I thought I'd give an update. Had to rebuild tranny nearly 1 year after purchase- $1800. That was a surprise, but nothing major since. Only expected, non-surprising things: replace radiator- $300, fix pssngr-side pwr window- $120, replace noisy supercharger- $750. I added custom-made cold-air induction, modified exhaust... car really screams now! Added 18" chrome wheels, manual air shocks, custom dark-blue paint with red pin-stripes, and a kick-butt sound system. I receive a lot of admiration, and I am always asked, "What kind of car is that?" I did lose the steering wheel control features due to factory sound system shorting out. I miss that luxury!

Favorite Features

Still a great, comfortable ride. The rarity of this car... not too many around in as good shape as mine. Supercharged V-6, after my mods, resulted in outstanding performance. Too bad engine has a governor, otherwise I'm sure it would reach 120+ mph!

Suggested Improvements

Bring the Riviera back, GM...

A Sweet Ride
By ClassicCar

1995 Buick Riviera Coupe Supercharged 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car from a Buick dealership. It had 14,000 miles and was everything I had been looking for in a car. Over the years it has gone to college for four years, Prom, Weddings, corn fields, mud, snow, good and bad streets, carried teens, grandkids and dogs. Through it all, it has handled every situation with grace. The only "major repair" was the harmonic balancer. Outside of that, just regular oil changes, new tires, and air conditioner. My entire family loves the Riviera. We would buy it again and wish that Buick would continue the car, adding a four door version and make it a crossover. Oh, yes, it now has 140,000 miles and drives as if it was brand new.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, power adjustment for both sides, the stereo, sunroof, easy to drive, comfortable for long trips, love to drive it on inter-states because of the handling and power.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see a four door crossover model produced.