2002 Buick Rendezvous - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rendezvous model:
Almost perfect
By Vernl on 03/14/07 16:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the first year. Loved the interior room. Big storage in console and wife's pocketbook fit underneath. All cars should have the heads-up display. Never would have ordered it but it came with the car and we loved it once we had it. Unfortunately, instrument cluster failed twice and had to be replaced. Third time vehicle caught fire and was totally destroyed. Bad Buick design or incompetent dealer's mechanics? Who knows? Replaced it with the Acura MDX which isn't nearly as good. Wish we'd bought another Rendezvous!

Worst car ever owned
By melissa on 01/30/07 00:10 AM (PST)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the worst and most unsafe car I have ever owned or driven! Heard this was a flop from GM. The car rocks like a boat when driving and on highways the car is pushed when passing of a truck or bigger vehicle. Computer system in this car is a nightmare! Constantly in the shop! Biggest and costliest mistake!

Have owned 3 years with very few problems
By adelphi on 01/24/07 17:03 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Rendezvous used in 5/2004 for $17K and have had only one problem. The left front bearing went and was repaired under warranty. It has been a very reliable car, and is superb in the snow. I currently have 66,000 miles on it and no problems. I recommend buying a used one with an extended warranty. The gas mileage is very good for a truck this size. I get about 19/20 mpg average. None of the truck chasis SUV's can come close to the comfort and handling of this SUV. It's not perfect, but it's a steal if bought used. Go ahead and compare it to the Pilot, even MDX, it's that good.

Buick Rendezvous 2002 model
By Jacqueline Johnson on 01/10/07 09:40 AM (PST)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Needs better gas mileage. When they make the tailgate door automatic, I will purchase another Rendezvous. Still waiting for that to happen. They haven't changed anything about this SUV since its inception.

Great Car (SUV)
By donsnn on 12/20/06 08:38 AM (PST)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is overall an exceptional SUV. It handles well and is fun to drive. I find that at times the car is a little under-powered so I expect that the weight to horsepower is a bit off. I do however accept this minor issue in favor of better gas mileage. A larger engine would simply eat more fuel. My wife loves the elevated view of the road ahead and uses this car daily. Underhood maintenance is a bit difficult. The air cleaner replacement is a real pain. Generally this is a great car.

Snow Mobile
By Shelby349 on 11/21/06 16:15 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It is a reliable, surefooted AWD in snow, slush and rain, but only when coupled with premium aftermarket tires. A comfortable ride. It seems from research as well as my own experience that common problems include A/C condenser failure, engine antifreeze gasket leaks, and some have experienced transmission problems.

I love my Rendezvous!
By Rendezvous on 10/29/06 20:29 PM (PST)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my favorite auto I've ever owned including the Lexus. My Rendezvous is the most comfortable, well designed, and reliable car I've had. I also love the design. I now have about 150,000 miles on it, and am thinking about trading it in for a new one but I love this one so much I'm hesitant. I won't buy anything else. I've never owned a bad Buick, but this Rendezvous is really over the top in excellence. You have already achieved perfection with the engine and design, now just add a little bling. I would be happy to test one out for you!

Mostly excellent
By rotharch on 10/28/06 16:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owned my Rendezvous for 4+ years, has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, but it's not quite perfect. Relatively quiet, very comfortable seating, much better than average creature comforts. Very easy entry/exit (important for us seniors!). Versatile storage/seating options. Lots of cubbies and storage spaces. Excellent gas mleage - 19/24. Maybe a bit less than perfect mechanically. New A/C compressor, engine water leaks, transmission, fuel system, a few other more minor problems. Also, a few body integrity problems with wind noise, door fit. Very poor resale value. It has depreciated much more than similar vehicles from other manufacturers.

Perfect proof
By Curmudeon on 09/30/06 17:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Why you should not buy a car in its first model year. Design of the vehicle, especially the interior, is both innovative and functional. Comfort is good, and long trips are not tiring. But, the car has been a succession of one repair after another - most a function of mediocre engineering. Most annoying is what the dealership tells me is an inherent flaw in the intake gasket which requires too frequent replacing. Will I continue to drive this vehicle? Yes. Would I buy it again? No.

I'm Happy With Mine
By RDW on 09/28/06 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The only problem I have had with my vehicle was the battery. The former owner took meticulous care of the car and had only one problem, a wheel bearing. Car has 62,000 plus miles.