Used 2012 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Needs AWD, and better Infotainment controls
By sa_greg

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the exterior looks and wheels. I chose this over an Audi A4 Avant Quattro (wagon). My choice was based on (#1.) cheaper oil changes and overall maintenance costs vs. Audi's $250 oil changes, (#2.) more horsepower/torque over Audi, (#3.) more aggressive look than Audi, and (#4) Not too many GS models on the road = kind of exclusive. Love the car but sacrificed the pre-requisite of an All-Wheel-Drive car (Audi) for the horsepower / looks in the GS. The almost uncontrollable torque steer is annoying & almost embarrassing when you want to stomp on the gas. Also, very upset that I can't stream Pandora to Samsung Galaxy S5. Have to resort to using Aux input. Cheap interior materials.

Favorite Features

Love the 270 HP, 295 Torque. Unique look/stance/wheels. Awesome stopping power from Brembo brakes.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are horribly uncomfortable after a while. Drove the less expensive 2014 Verano (loaner) and those seats pampered my butt with its plusher cushioning. Add AWD, Add AWD, Adding all-wheel-drive will make me NOT regret turning down the Audi A4 AWD Avant. Torque steer is almost uncontrollable and embarrassing when the steering wheel is all over the place (going every which way but straight). GS and Sport mode buttons seem only good for harsher/firmer suspension only (feeling every little bump in the road). Also, sluggish acceleration for the first few gears. Cumbersome turn-signal stalk controls for the driver info system. Cheap plastic trim pieces everywhere on the dash.

First American Branded car in 35 years
By jbgcrs

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have driven Japanese and German cars with my last being a 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport 4 dr 6spd manual.I followed the GS from the moment the car was announced. Found my 2012 with 4500 miles and a 6spd. Wow! Loaded, this is one of the best cars I have owned. Fun to drive, great head turner and reliable. With over 30k on it the car still feels like it did at 4500. I live in a world filled with 3 series Bimmers and C300 Benzes and I love the exclusivity of owning this car. Amazes me how many young under 30 year olds love this car. Buick got it right and I hope they improve upon this great car

Favorite Features

6spd manual 19" wheels Sound System Great interior and exterior design Exclusivity!

Suggested Improvements

Make it rear wheel drive!!

I grade it a B+
By grandcentral

2012 Buick Regal 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm about to wrap up my 24-month lease. For the most part, I'm happy. What they say about this Regal (nee Opel Insignia) being unlike Buicks of lore is true. Handling is precise, ride is firm (in a good way), interior design is clean, all very European. And it looks fantastic, especially with the 18" or 19" rims. Content is good too, for the price. Now, the issues: first, the mileage for the eAssist hybrid I have is WAY overstated - I drive 70% highway and never get more than 24 MPGs. Lack of power and harshness in non-Turbo engines is noticable. Quality control still has a way to go, e.g. paint flaws & loose trim. If I had gotten the turbo or GS, I'd rate it a solid A. With the hybrid, B+.

A good effort but flawed
By smerdyakov

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded a 2011 Audi A4 for this car. At first I liked the Buick much better, but, as time went on, problems made themselves evident. The engine was quite powerful but, in spite of the much-hyped HyPer strut front suspension, torque steer was very pronounced under hard acceleration. In addition, the driver's seat, although comfortable on short jaunts, became a source of torture on long highway runs. The bottom bolsters seemed to be too tight, causing intense hip pain. In addition, the three driving modes (normal, Sport and GS) seemed to have little effect on performance, although the letter did stiffen the suspension significantly. The controls also feature a plethora of pushbuttons.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, smooth ride, attractive design

Suggested Improvements

Improve the seats, cure torque steer

Fun car from a horrible manufacture
By miami5

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is a blast to drive and turns heads everywhere. However the service experience at the dealership is horrible. Furthermore Buick Customer Service is a complete waste of resources. My car was in the shop 4 times for the turbo going out, once to have both axils replaced, once it left me stranded because the battery cables fried, once because the radiator ruptured, once because the windshield washer blew, once because all the brake lights went out and once for the center council and sun visors braking. Half of all these problems occurred within my first two months of ownership. My car spent over 30 days in the shop during my first year and GM never offered restitution.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, stereo

Suggested Improvements

Dealership service needs vast improvement!! A person with a month old car should not have to beg for a loaner each time it is in the shop for turbo failure! Buick Customer Care. I should be offered a buy back or new car after all these problems, not Buick Customer Care saying "I hope this will be your last time at the dealer for unscheduled service." No car I have ever owned is problem free but what makes the difference is how the issues are handled when they arise. This is why I have bought a Lexus again and will pay two car notes until GM decides to do the right thing and pick up this car..