Used 2012 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

2012 Buick Regal

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Couldn't Be Happier
By kmw8770

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First new vehicle. I have been watching this vehicle from the point it was in the prototype stage, and when they entered production I knew I had to get one. White Diamond, 6-Manual, 20's, Brembos, LED/HID Headlamps, Intellilink System, Sunroof. Car is loaded. Has an unbelievable amount of power for a 2.0L and the six speed manual makes it a joy to drive. Not to mention the car handles incredibly and even with the 20's and low profile tires it rides very smooth. Personally I have had a slew of GM cars and those manufactured in Oshawa, ON Canada have always had the nicest paint and most solid build quality; this Regal certainly holds up to that standard. Love this car. Take it for a test!

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Fun car from a horrible manufacture
By miami5

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is a blast to drive and turns heads everywhere. However the service experience at the dealership is horrible. Furthermore Buick Customer Service is a complete waste of resources. My car was in the shop 4 times for the turbo going out, once to have both axils replaced, once it left me stranded because the battery cables fried, once because the radiator ruptured, once because the windshield washer blew, once because all the brake lights went out and once for the center council and sun visors braking. Half of all these problems occurred within my first two months of ownership. My car spent over 30 days in the shop during my first year and GM never offered restitution.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, stereo

Suggested Improvements

Dealership service needs vast improvement!! A person with a month old car should not have to beg for a loaner each time it is in the shop for turbo failure! Buick Customer Care. I should be offered a buy back or new car after all these problems, not Buick Customer Care saying "I hope this will be your last time at the dealer for unscheduled service." No car I have ever owned is problem free but what makes the difference is how the issues are handled when they arise. This is why I have bought a Lexus again and will pay two car notes until GM decides to do the right thing and pick up this car..

My favorite car, but...
By db1162

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased a Carbon Black Metalic Regal GS Automatic brand new three weeks ago. There are many things that I love about this car and concur with the other reviews. However, there are signficant quality control issues. One week after I got it, the paint is coming off of the driver side door! There are two dime sized paint chips down to the metal on the driver side door. My dealer thinks that it was prepped wrong and it needs repainted. Also, the passenger side door speaker rattles so bad that you can't have any bass on the sound system. This also needs completely repaired. I love this car, but I'm concerned about how it was put together and how it is going to hold up over the years.

Favorite Features

Very powerful for a 4 cylinder, smooth ride, very attractive looking luxury sports car, nothing else looks like it on the road, sound system is great (minus the previously mentioned issue), interior looks as impressive as the exterior, 18 gallon gas tank, rear seat air conditioning! (the car cools down much faster), plenty of room in the back seats, larger trunk space, keyless start and entry system. You can keep your keys in your pocket and never need to get them out to open the doors, lock them, or start the car. Brembo front brakes work very well, 20" wheels really make this car a standout; especially for younger Buick owners. This isn't your grandparents car.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system on mine (not the intellilink, but the SD card based one) isn't too great. The GS could use more interior lighting like the Verano or the LaCrosse. I'm getting the optional footwell and cup holder lighting installed, but this should have been standard on an all black interior luxury car. The price is a little high, but I think you'll pay once you see it . All-wheel drive would have been a nice option to have. The center console is too busy and it is hard to find you way around all of the same size clustered-together buttons. The arm-rest compartment is too small, with just enough room to put a pair of glasses in them. This is the smallest in any car I've owned.

GM has no concern for quality
By gwsf

2012 Buick Regal Premium 2 Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great driving, comfortable car with loads of features. Problem is the lack of quality control at the production plant. Car came with some minor paint imperfections, side mirror and window molding installed incorrectly, and not to mention the front fender and trunk lid having large gaps. GM did have the dealer,Todd Wenzel Buick repair the paint and the window molding. I now have a new car that has mis-matched paint, tape lines and sanding marks that can be seen through the paint, expected and was promised better. Three trips to the body shop and hours on the phone, car still looks like a terrible. GM is not interested in quality at this point and are unwilling to stand behind their product!

Favorite Features

Harmon Kardon audio is great, must be they have high quality standards unlike the cars their product is used in.

Suggested Improvements

GM should actually take pride in the vehicles they produce and stand behind them, that is how you maintain a customer base. A new car warranty is useless if the company will not honor it or hold their repair shops accountable for poor repairs. I was told by GM not to expect the quality of a 200k vehicle for 35k, really? I would expect a 35k car to have matching paint and body panels the are aligned properly, maybe that's to much? Cannot see myself buying GM again, company nor the dealer will stand behind their product.

Needs AWD, and better Infotainment controls
By sa_greg

2012 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the exterior looks and wheels. I chose this over an Audi A4 Avant Quattro (wagon). My choice was based on (#1.) cheaper oil changes and overall maintenance costs vs. Audi's $250 oil changes, (#2.) more horsepower/torque over Audi, (#3.) more aggressive look than Audi, and (#4) Not too many GS models on the road = kind of exclusive. Love the car but sacrificed the pre-requisite of an All-Wheel-Drive car (Audi) for the horsepower / looks in the GS. The almost uncontrollable torque steer is annoying & almost embarrassing when you want to stomp on the gas. Also, very upset that I can't stream Pandora to Samsung Galaxy S5. Have to resort to using Aux input. Cheap interior materials.

Favorite Features

Love the 270 HP, 295 Torque. Unique look/stance/wheels. Awesome stopping power from Brembo brakes.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are horribly uncomfortable after a while. Drove the less expensive 2014 Verano (loaner) and those seats pampered my butt with its plusher cushioning. Add AWD, Add AWD, Adding all-wheel-drive will make me NOT regret turning down the Audi A4 AWD Avant. Torque steer is almost uncontrollable and embarrassing when the steering wheel is all over the place (going every which way but straight). GS and Sport mode buttons seem only good for harsher/firmer suspension only (feeling every little bump in the road). Also, sluggish acceleration for the first few gears. Cumbersome turn-signal stalk controls for the driver info system. Cheap plastic trim pieces everywhere on the dash.