Used 2004 Buick Regal Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

2004 Buick Regal Sedan

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Feels comfy and safe
By Mike

2004 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used car because we have a 1999 LeSabre that just want die. It has 252,000 miles but feels like a boat riding the waves. I thought to myself, I'd love this drive-train in a smaller car that handles better. Then, my favorite local dealer gets in this Regal. I loved it from the first drive. Got a great price and now I'm lovin' it. Who cares if my friends think I'm an old man now. They're paying alot more to be cool than I am. HA.

Favorite Features

comfort and durability

Suggested Improvements

cup holder is a little odd, but works ok.

Perfect All-Around Reliable Car
By Shadowtrax

2004 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car initially as a third car for when the parents visited - but ended up driving it to work and around town and longer trips because it is so comfortable and gets great gas mileage with the 3800 V6. Yes, I'm in my late 30's and we just wanted a 'old folk's' car for when our elderly parents flew in to visit a few times a year, but my wife and I discovered that the Regal was comfortable to drive, and got great mileage for a work/highway car. We currently own a BMW 3-series and an Infiniti G35x, and yes, we both agree this has a 'different', yet comfortable ride, and a feeling of roominess in the cabin unlike our sporty cars - never had a single issue with it - we enjoy it!

Favorite Features

Roomy cabin feel. Good gas mileage. Great trunk space. Simple, yet functional. Very reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Great turning radius. Nice, spacious seats that tilt AND rock, unlike most all new car seats. Very reasonable price if you find one used.

Suggested Improvements

For a used vehicle which has such a reasonable used price tag, good reliability, comfort, and low maintenance costs, you can't go wrong getting one for a daily driver, a spare car, or for your high school/college student.

Grandma Car that isn't for Grandma!
By Laura

2004 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

One of the best GM cars I have ever owned! Suspension and ride are great for long or short trips and it corners like a champ. Road noise is a but much at times, though. Gas mileage is good. Heated leather seats are terrific in the winter. I was able to get out of deep snow up the hill without any difficulty but had to push my friend in her Jeep! I am just getting around to replacing the original struts and have replaced two wheel bearings so far. Other than regular maintenance there is nothing out of the ordinary with repairs. I have loaded it with 2x4's and am getting a hitch and bike rack next week. Hate to see GM axe the 3.8 v6, though. Big mistake, boys!!!! Big mistake.

Favorite Features

Lots of pep, punch and handles really well. Corners like a champ! Punch the accelerator and it will move. Suspension is great and my back isn't killing after a 4 hour drive on the wonderful Michigan highways.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to keep the 3.8 v6 engine. They are doing away with the best v6 that is made. Huge mistake, HUGE!!!

Best Car I've Owned So Far
By R. T. Brandon

2004 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I average 28-29 mpg on the highway if I keep it under 65 and city mileage isn't bad either (usually just under 20 mpg). My Regal is comfortable on long and short drives. My only complaint is road noise. It can get loud on grooved pavement. After 40000 miles the body is still tight with no squeaks and rattles. The 3.8 liter engine is peppy for a V6 and acceleration is adequate enough to enter freeways and pass other vehicles on 2-lane highways. I have enjoyed this car and hope to drive it for many more years.

Favorite Features

Peppy V6. Decent stock AM/FM/CD and speakers. Great gas mileage. Comfortable leather seats. Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Well since they're not making the Regal any longer I guess there's no sense suggesting that they insulate the car better for road noise.

One Buick Regal GS is not enough
By MLS

2004 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

After totalling my 1998 Buick Regal GS, I could only find 2 GS' on-line. One in Trenton, NJ area and the other in White Plains, NY. I emailed Coleman and the salesman called the next morning. A pristine condition fully loaded 2004 Black GS just off a three year lease with 42k enticed me to drive over 50 miles to see it. After getting the sticker reduced by over $1000, and seeing the excellent shape of the black paint, I bought it. Now I have a car that I know and love and am making sure that all the tips and techniques that I put into the first will go into the second. I also got an extended 3 year and 36k mile Major Guard Coverage GM Protection Plan, which was mostly paid for by my savings.

Favorite Features

Clearly the Regal, which looks like the family sedan, Century, is what is known as a "sleeper". It does not attract unwanted attention and can out perform 90% of the vehicles out there. And the 10% it cannot out perform, it can out drive because it does not look like the quick car like the others.

Suggested Improvements

As with my old GS, I upgraded the stereo adding a monoblock amp & subwoffer. I lowered the suspension with Eibachs-but I do not recommend it as the sidewalls of the Goodyear Assurance tires cause a bouncing effect on local streets. I added a hood plastic clear bra to protect the paint from chipping.