Used 2002 Buick Regal LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Buick Regal Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Who would've thought I'd rather have a Buick?
By newportbob

2002 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Having never owned a GM car, I was not sure what to expect. I'd done a lot of research and, for the value, the Buick Regal kept coming up. I found a beauty, a 2002 for $3,000. Looks and runs like new, great power, luscious leather interior (spotless), one of the finest sound systems I've ever heard, hugs the road like a bear. I absolutely love this car. The only other car I loved this much was a 1974 Volvo that we put 360,000 miles on. I don't know if I'll get the same with the Regal, but I do know that maintenance is key to vehicle longevity. We'll see!

I gotta say the concert sound system is outstanding. Also the driver's seat comfort and adjustability. And I really like the way it handles, more like a sports car than a sedan, you can feel the road right through the steering wheel. Instruments are easy to view and intuitive. Huge trunk. Mileage is a constant 30 MPG on the freeway. In-town runs about 20-22, which is par for 3.8 liter engine. It's solid, you can hear it when you shut the door. Cabin road noise is minimal, I would call it "hushed". My wife's Camry is not nearly as comfortable or quiet on the road. Lots of early warning sensors, one of which ("Low Tire" air pressure light) saved us from a disaster on the road.

Cup holders! Nicely hidden but should have been deeper to hold a cup more securely. Heating system is not as responsive as our Camry. The defrost works great on the passenger side, not so much on the driver's side. Thought it might be obstructed but couldn't find anything, seems a design issue. None of these are deal-breakers, though. I'd buy it again in a heart-beat.

Cross Country
By deandesisto

2002 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ive driven many cars, but the 2002 Buick Regal LS is by far my favorite car i have driven so far. It is much more comfortable then Japanese cars, and sure goes alot more than it shows. I drove from Rhode Island to Montana in this car, and it revved strong at 2k at 70mph, ive had v8's that revved higher. Amazing gas mileage, only spent around $200 from RI to South Dakota, with gas around 3.50. Bought this car a year ago, at 3k with 115 thou. Something about American cars makes the ride better, foriegn cars dont have personalities like my Ford and Buick do, I love that thing, even though my gas gauge is broke and my odometer is gone, this car took me 2500 miles across our great nation.Buy USA

Very comfortable car, and for a V6 it is amazingly fast, acceleration very nice once you get into third, and the gas mileage is absolutely awesome. Put a little STP platinum in once in a blue moon, change the oil every three thousand, and keep up on your basic maintenance, and this car will last long and strong.

The Alarm system has a mind of its own, and it does not let you open the doors with the keys if the car has been locked, that needs to change since i keep losing that lock button thing since it broke off my chain. Really annoying, but besides that great car

10 yrs old and still going!
By mom2de

2002 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car when it had 50,000 miles on it.Now at 105,000. Still going good!Regular work done on it like brakes,rotors,tires,oil changes,etc. That is all normal wear and tear. On second muffler but first one was a cheaper one. Biggest expense was the security in the ignition and key.Kept shutting the car down, making it think it was being stolen.Brought it to dealer and they bypassed the security chip-$380. Most expensive repair done to it. Great in the snow too! Northeast can be brutal! Stereo has shorted out but that's an easy fix too! No major issues. Would recommend a buick. Trading her in next week, need an upgraded vehicle with newer specs!

Family size sedan! Husband is a fan of the motor and the buick reputation! Nothing has fallen apart so can't really complain! Motor and transmission have been great! Would keep it if it had everything today's vehicles do! Better gas mileage, safety features!

New/Old owner
By Isiah1

2002 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased a 2002 LS with 76K. From the initial drive I automatically fell in love with the car. All the positive comments has made me feel even better about my purchase today.......

Lots of torque!

None yet

Engine Not Reliable
By buickuser

2002 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Good car but stiff steering. Engine died after 50,000 miles and despite good maintenance. Mechanic says a very classic problem with the Buick and Pontiac with 3.8 engine. OK if use best synthetic oil (Mobil One) every 2000 miles.

Comfortable and good overall features.

Heavy, stiff, painful after 300 miles. Gas mileage is no good.