Used 1998 Buick Regal Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

1998 Buick Regal

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Nagging Problems
By William Rarick

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Lots of power and decent gas mileage. However many nagging problems. Both rear window regulators went out, $700 to fix, rear brake calipers replaced $500, Ball joints need relaced $700 more. Japanese cars I feel are much more reliable.

Favorite Features

Lots of power and luxury features. Room and ride and wonderful. Drives great trips are fun, lots of trunk room as well.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable parts. Too many minor (non powertrain related) but expensive problems.

Noble Knight
By Ketch

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Everyone should know by now what a sleeper of a car this is. The power was awesome, the elongated leather seats were the best on my back although some extra side of seat firmness would have helped. The engine was flawless until about 90k when the supercharger pully bearing started to fail...otherwise, it was perfectly reliable. The only complaint is that the front-end was a little long and tended to scrape on declining-to- street entries. Mine is gone now - the victim of a side impact directly on the B-pillar from a Dodge 2500 truck. I miss the car but most importantly, it was built well enough to save my girlfriend's life. Easily, best in its class - it was just never properly promoted.

Favorite Features

Supercharged Engine, Seats (mostly), factory stereo sounded great, Ample truck space, the surprised look on people's faces when they love the car and find out it's the old fogey stigmatized Buick!

Suggested Improvements

(7 years late :) - Shorten front wheel to nose length, selectable ride control (firm setting needed to match the engine sometimes), firm up the sides of the front seats, find marketing niche in between Camry and 530i and promote to "quality/reliabilty mainstream buyers" - it's a winner!

Good looks aren't everything
By Jay

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

Great looking car, but every winter my heater turns my lights off. Major electrical problems, plus the Dexcool builds up an oily residue in my coolant system and I have to flush every year, not every 5 like they state. Try to stay away from this car.

Favorite Features

Has pretty good pickup for a V-6.

Suggested Improvements

Major electrical work, plus fix the Dexcool or take it off the market.

Love my GS
By drivefast!

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

This is a car to love. I bought it at 44,000 miles and have replaced only the tires. It is at 94,000 now and going strong! I love the speed but it can be a little too floaty above 85. I love the stereo, heated seats, sunroof, and leather interior. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Very reliable and a great "sleeper" at stop lights... : ) I hope it lasts another 100,000 miles! Safety is also important. I had someone stop me at a gas station who said his wife was in a very bad head-on accident with this car and walked away unharmed. Great car!

Favorite Features

The engine!

Suggested Improvements

The ABS rattles when you hit a bump.

Excellent car for the money
By jpstax

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Like some other GM cars (namely the Corvette and Camaro Z-28), the Regal GS has a lot of "bang for the buck". I bought my '98 GS mainly because my wife's '00 Regal GSE is such a reliable and fast car, and so I decided to get one too. Neither car has given us any problems. The car dealer suggested regular preventive maintenance for the engine and tranny, which should pay off in the future.

Favorite Features

The very comfortable leather seats and steering wheel with radio controls, CD player, and an aftermarket sunroof. The S/C'd engine is a real blast! I haven't lost very many stoplight races.

Suggested Improvements

I think a re-design of the Regal is in order. It needs that Bob Lutz look of imagination, so it looks more like a sports sedan, instead of a "geezer mobile", like the Century. I suggest using either the BMW M-5 or Mercedes CL-55 AMG (super sedans) as models.