1998 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:
It rocks
By chris w on 02/13/09 15:05 PM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Regal GS with 80,000 miles on it. It runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil. All I've put on it is tires and tie rods and struts. I should be hitting 200,000 miles this month.

Fantastic car
By Bucksinnc on 02/12/09 06:29 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

I sold my Trans AM just in time for another Ohio winter and wanted something with good power, luxury options, and something that would get me through the snow safely. What better than a fully loaded supercharged V6 FWD vehicle? Fast forward just over five years and nearly 100,000 miles (putting it at around 160,000 miles total) I've found this car to be everything I could've hoped for and much more! Other than some minor electrical problems this car has been a dream mechanically. I dread my upcoming family vehicle purchase because this one really has spoiled me... but it's done so well we're keeping it as a daily driver to/from work, 200,000 miles here I come!

Good car, but expensive to fix
By Shadow on 12/02/08 10:37 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2007 and at the time of buying I did not know it had all the problems it does. I have to get the turn signal switch fixed ($700), brighter headlights ($100), sway bar (200) and an alighment ($70). And now I'm having another problem where sometimes it stalls out and yesterday it wouldn't start for me and when I did get it started I had to turn off the radio and the security light was on. Many problems but an overall good car.

A fun car but just another GM
By KevfromVA on 07/21/08 21:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Excellent power for a 6. The 3.8 super- charged combo is a great alternative to an 8. However, cheesy plastic interior components reveals GM's weak build quality of the late 90s. I bought mine w/78K miles on it and have since replaced a rear window motor and now the ac compressor is shot at 100K. A decent car to own, just get one that was serviced properly & pampered - mine wasn't.

A peach
By sassa418 on 11/12/07 01:11 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

This automobile has provided me with reliable and dependable service for nine years already and I will continue driving it until I am forced (for whatever reason) to trade it in! It is a handsome machine and very comfortable and easy to drive. It has also been a very economical car in that repairs have been few and far between and very minor.

142,000 and still strong
By JBFALASKA on 09/01/07 08:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Bought my GS Supercharged at 39,000 miles. To date, I haven't even changed the spark plugs. Truly the American Lexus at a 1/3 less cost. I also own the 98 LS version. 200 HP is fine for anyone, but once you get used to the 240HP with 280 torque, you'll need to buy a V8 truck to find the equivalent zoom.

Not Too Shabby!
By MisterG on 08/30/07 01:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with almost 42,000 miles on it. The only thing that caused problems so far is the alternator. It went south at just over 42,000 miles/6 months of ownership. I have the cloth interior (which I like). Bad cupholder and carpet is coming loose on front driver and passenger sides. Window lower moulding trim (black) is corroding and rusting (don't know why). It has be a CA car all it's life. Hope to get another 100,000 miles out of it.

It Feels Like a Vette
By rey on 03/15/07 05:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

Great car. I bought this because of the power I hoped it would have and it has proved me right. The gas mileage is OK but the fun of driving the car makes it all worth it.

The car that lasts forever
By Robert Standen on 01/22/07 14:55 PM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal LS 4dr Sedan

This car has served my family well. For 9 years it has been extremely reliable which I wouldn't expect from a Buick. We have rarely put money into the car. The electronic displays for the heat/ac died a few yrs ago and it was over $600 to fix (we didn't) and the back inside door panels are coming off with very little backseat use. Those are my only complaints. It really is a great car.

Grandpa Speed
By collegekid on 09/29/06 02:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal GS 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car. I bought it at 130,000 miles, and put on another 30k. The drivetrain is awesome. Good styling inside and out. Surprisingly quick for a big sedan. I'm also getting good fuel economy with an average of 23 mpg, and almost 30 mpg on the highway. Very smooth ride. Warning, flush dex-cool out right away. If not flushed, it will slowly rot out intake gaskets. It's not severe but your gasket will start to seep if you never change your coolant. If you maintain this car, it will be a great car. I'm very satisfied with this car. In my opinion, it's just as good as all the more expensive imports.