1998 Buick Regal Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Regal model:
'98 Regal- Great!
By Cole on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I'm 18, so you don't see many people my age driving this car. However, I needed something with more legroom than my Camry that I had. I've owned it for 8 months,and other than the window regulator needing replaced, no problems. Just took it on a 600 mile trip and the car does not have a single rattle or shake anywhere, cruise control and comfort of the seats on that long trip were amazing. This car still drives like a new one, and Buick has made a lifelong customer out of me, don't miss the Toyota at all, this car is just better in all aspects. MPG is not bad for a car of this size, about 28 on the highway.

Great
By cole on 12/08/09 21:12 PM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I'm only 18, so I know I'm not the typical Buick driver. I had a 98 Toyota Camry, but it was too small and was starting to have problems, so I was looking for something both larger and American made. I found a great deal on this car, with only 53,000 miles on it. Its black, it looks great, I love all the room, it performs well, and it does awesome in the snow. I really like the car, and would pick it over the Camry any day, and because they're the same year, I feel like I could do a pretty good comparison. 3800 is a great engine, my next car will be a Buick.

Meets expectations
By wkb on 09/29/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Regal LS with 17,000 miles on it - previously owned by an elderly couple that rarely drove it very far. Since then I have put 100,000 mostly hwy miles on it and had only two costly repairs: replace valve gaskets @104,000 and replace starter moter @111,000. I try to keep my cars forever and 'over maintain' them, but 10 years is about the limit for a 90s GM car, unfortunately. Little things start adding up: sealed headlights are starting to fog up as moisture gets into them, trunk seals are failing somewhere letting rain in, plastic exterior trim pieces are starting to show their age and lack of quality. Too bad - I think the engine will run forever.

Automotive comfort food....perfect !
By Jeff in Ohio on 07/12/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I simply cannot say enough in favour of this great car. I had a Cutlass Ciera before this and the Regal way outclasses that as you might expect. I wanted a cruising-type ride as I have a long freeway commute every day, and something that would handle IT tech calls to businesses with comfort and classy style. Back then "Government Motors" could sure build 'em. 96K miles and routine maintenance only. This is a tank-- solid and safe and substantial in every way. Not sportscar handling, but that's what Pontiacs (were) for. This will float you down the interstate in a plush cocoon, and deliver you calm and relaxed. It's automotive comfort food, nearly perfect. Ps. Look for Canadian-built.

Good car, but expensive to fix
By Shadow on 12/02/08 10:37 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2007 and at the time of buying I did not know it had all the problems it does. I have to get the turn signal switch fixed ($700), brighter headlights ($100), sway bar (200) and an alighment ($70). And now I'm having another problem where sometimes it stalls out and yesterday it wouldn't start for me and when I did get it started I had to turn off the radio and the security light was on. Many problems but an overall good car.

Not Too Shabby!
By MisterG on 08/30/07 01:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with almost 42,000 miles on it. The only thing that caused problems so far is the alternator. It went south at just over 42,000 miles/6 months of ownership. I have the cloth interior (which I like). Bad cupholder and carpet is coming loose on front driver and passenger sides. Window lower moulding trim (black) is corroding and rusting (don't know why). It has be a CA car all it's life. Hope to get another 100,000 miles out of it.

The car that lasts forever
By Robert Standen on 01/22/07 14:55 PM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car has served my family well. For 9 years it has been extremely reliable which I wouldn't expect from a Buick. We have rarely put money into the car. The electronic displays for the heat/ac died a few yrs ago and it was over $600 to fix (we didn't) and the back inside door panels are coming off with very little backseat use. Those are my only complaints. It really is a great car.

Good looks aren't everything
By Jay on 11/16/05 08:42 AM (PST)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Great looking car, but every winter my heater turns my lights off. Major electrical problems, plus the Dexcool builds up an oily residue in my coolant system and I have to flush every year, not every 5 like they state. Try to stay away from this car.

I love this car
By KeathC on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for about a year and a half and have nothing but good things to say! I recently read an article that ranked Buicks as one of the most reliable luxury cars! Go get one if you haven't already!!!

First time Buick Owner
By lcaldw on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Buick Regal Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car to drive. However there have been a few things that are very annoying. Mainly the wheel noise is horrible, the cup holders for the front are VERY inconvenient to use. And they are placed in the wrong angle. It makes it very difficult for the driver to reach their cup as it is in a ackward position to begin with. I had to replace the battery and the blower fan mower at less than 100K miles on it.