Used 1998 Buick Regal GS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Buick Regal - Consumer Reviews

1998 Buick Regal Sedan

View reviews for a specific Regal model:

Loved this car!
By laeli_

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Got this car from a relative at 100,000 miles. It was by far my favorite car that I've owned. It was well maintained, and never gave me any problems at all. The driver window motor did eventually go out, but that was really the only problem I ever had. It felt like a luxury car, and the supercharger made it really fun to drive. I put 30,000 miles on it in a year, but it drove like brand new. It got pretty good mileage (I averaged about 23 MPG) It was a safe car too, someone rear-ended me on the freeway doing 50 and pushed me into the car ahead of me. Unfortunately, this totalled my car, but my passenger and I walked away without a scratch. I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, dual front A/C and heat, size, pickup, roomy interior, comfortable, and of course, it looked really nice. (:

1998 Regal GS
By vamadman

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new in 1998 at a dealership in Phoenix and it is loaded. We liked the styling and comfort along with the sporty feeling it has. Over the years we have had to replace the alternator, plugs, wires, HVAC head, front rotors twice, blower motor and steering rack. These items are minor to me and do not sway how I feel about this classic cruiser. Love the supercharger and handling. It is in the body shop right now getting a new paint job as the water based paint from factory was peeling off on all of the horizontal surfaces. Can't wait to get our rocketship home again. It is worth putting the money into fixing as new car payments are outrageous. Great road car.

Favorite Features

Best things about this car is performance and styling. We installed custom woodgrain dash kit to match power window button surfaces which jazzed up the interior. Grey leather interior has held up well and looks new after 15 years. Handling and comfort along with good highway mileage are some of the things we like about our GS.

Suggested Improvements

GM should abandon use of water based enamel paints on vehicles. Paint lets loose from the primer and comes off in sheets.

Toe to Toe with Toyota
By 2 Regal owner GS/LS

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

Original used Toyota as benchmark. Regal matched Toyota w/o paying the premium. Have owned GS and LS. (98&99) Love the supercharger but it has added to service costs. 2X CD failures in factory radio. Change oil every 3K and service transmission + filter change every 2 years and this car will get you down the road in comfort plus tight handling (GS). LS fast enough just have to stomp on gas to get the performance. Electric Windows are the biggest weakness. I just lost my GS to freakish but major engine fire. Something shorted at firewall after my daughter got home from church. Even with freakish engine fire will likely replace this with another Regal.

Favorite Features

Radio/Cd controls on sterring wheel

Suggested Improvements

Very weak fragile cup holder design! Cup holders have broken on both my Regals. Have to wedge my coffee mug next to my hip. Needs stronger window glass clips. Can't repair and very expensive to replace whole unit.

fast sleeper
By BuickGS

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I was looking for a comfortable inexpensive car for my long work commute. I stumbled upon this car and went for it. I'm glad I did!!! this thng is a rocket. I like to keep quiet on the power with friends and then 'get it on' on a on ramp or something and watch the expression on their face!! when they we NOT expected the car to explode to 80MPH in a few seconds !! yeah I'm believer in the Buick GS or any other Buick hot rod they'll probably be my preferred work communte car forever!! I hate slugs. I like the car so much I think I'm going to do a few engines mods to really wake it up.

Favorite Features

duh! the supercharger and the fricking POWER baby. hey let's not forget the handeling and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

my only complaint, it's so small I feel like a whiney baby bringing it up...the radio controls on the steering wheel are too easy to hit on accident. whaa whaa

1998 Regal GS (l67) powered
By Kam

1998 Buick Regal Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I got my buick regal gs in february 09 with 27k miles on it, and so far i am very happy with it, no issues what so ever performance is great out of supercharged motor, interior is comfortable, buick`s theater seats makes you feel like you seat higher, radio controls are easy to access, ride is nice and quiet, automatic climate control may seem confusing to operate, no ac button,just gotta get used to it

Favorite Features

240 hp supercharged motor!, stock radio grand touring suspension,moonroof

Suggested Improvements

none so far